Norton

Status
Not open for further replies.
You haven't got a clue have you.

Quite obvious that the vast majority of bikers on the road are habitually dangerous speeders who make crazy overtakes mind.

If I’m doing 60-63 by my sat nav, in a 60, I‘ll almost always be overtaken by a bike, if there’s one behind me.

What is it about bikers that makes them think speed limits don’t apply to them? I mean most drivers stick around the limit and the police give tolerance accordingly, but bikers just take the piss.

Last edited:

Where did I say it was all illegal? I see bikers taking huge risks making daft overtakes and filtering between moving traffic on busy roads. Legal =/= safe.

It clearly narks you hearing legitimate criticism of the behaviour of bikers, the vast majority of whom treat the road like a playground, and expect everyone else to give them protection.
If its "dangerous overtaking" and "mind boggling stupidity" then its illegal. I'm more qualified than you to judge bikers and I see some mad riding but its nowhere near the world you live in .As I said you just don't understand what you are seeing .You'll just have to trust me .A biker sitting behind you in the right position ,seeing an opportunity and overtaking with a turn of speed is the madness you perceive from your cosy box

If its "dangerous overtaking" and "mind boggling stupidity" then its illegal. I'm more qualified than you to judge bikers and I see some mad riding but its nowhere near the world you live in .As I said you just don't understand what you are seeing .You'll just have to trust me .A biker sitting behind you in the right position ,seeing an opportunity and overtaking with a turn of speed is the madness you perceive from your cosy box

So if I’m doing the speed limit, and other cars are happy to sit behind me, what makes bikers so special? It isn’t like they overtake with a burst of speed then drop back to the limit either.

I think you just can’t admit that bikers simultaneously have no regard for the rules of the road but lose their shit when car drivers make a mistake.

One rule for cars and another for bikes it seems. If you were just willing to accept that bikers like to speed I could understand but they seemingly can’t do any wrong in your eyes.

Quite obvious that the vast majority of bikers on the road are habitually dangerous speeders who make crazy overtakes mind.

If I’m doing 60-63 by my sat nav, in a 60, I‘ll almost always be overtaken by a bike, if there’s one behind me.

What is it about bikers that makes them think speed limits don’t apply to them? I mean most drivers stick around the limit and the police give tolerance accordingly, but bikers just take the piss.
If Cars were as thin as bikes you would all overtake each other non stop regardless of limits .It's safe practice for bikes to get from behind cars and create your own space to ride safer and have only your own actions to worry about .Speed is part of the fun but your stats are makey up land

If Cars were as thin as bikes you would all overtake each other non stop regardless of limits .It's safe practice for bikes to get from behind cars and create your own space to ride safer and have only your own actions to worry about .Speed is part of the fun but your stats are makey up land

So bikes are so dangerous you have to speed to get away from other vehicles?

Surely if a vehicle is so dangerous it can’t be driven normally without risk to the operator it shouldn’t be on the road in the first place.

A convenient cover for total disregard for the rules it seems.

Speed isn't dangerous, inappropriate speed is dangerous, going too slow is just as bad as going too fast. If you're constantly being overtaken maybe you should take a look at yourself.

Speed isn't dangerous, inappropriate speed is dangerous, going too slow is just as bad as going too fast. If you're constantly being overtaken maybe you should take a look at yourself.

Didn’t I just say that bikes will overtake me when I’m doing the speed limit but other cars - in the main - don’t?

If you struggle with reading perhaps you shouldn’t be on the roads at all there mate.

Why can’t bikers do the speed limit? Is it because you somehow think the rules don’t apply to you? You think you’re better than other road users?

Seems like you have an attitude problem there mate.

So if I’m doing the speed limit, and other cars are happy to sit behind me, what makes bikers so special? It isn’t like they overtake with a burst of speed then drop back to the limit either.

I think you just can’t admit that bikers simultaneously have no regard for the rules of the road but lose their shit when car drivers make a mistake.

One rule for cars and another for bikes it seems. If you were just willing to accept that bikers like to speed I could understand but they seemingly can’t do any wrong in your eyes.
There's hardly any bikes on the road now ,I can't be the only driver surrounded by cars who have way more disregard for the rules of the road than bikes .Bikes have massive respect for the road ,you have to have or you die .Its a totally different ballgame and you don't get it .Everything is 10 times more important than if you're in a car as far as outside factors and getting from A to B . I'd say 95% of cars and bikes break the speed limit several times a day so everyone likes speed it seems .You are just selective with good and bad speeding

There's hardly any bikes on the road now ,I can't be the only driver surrounded by cars who have way more disregard for the rules of the road than bikes .Bikes have massive respect for the road ,you have to have or you die .Its a totally different ballgame and you don't get it .Everything is 10 times more important than if you're in a car as far as outside factors and getting from A to B . I'd say 95% of cars and bikes break the speed limit several times a day so everyone likes speed it seems .You are just selective with good and bad speeding

“Massive respect for the road”

Aye, so much respect for the road that they can’t even bear to do the speed limit and have invented some nonsense about how it’s so dangerous being behind a car that they have to overtake for their own safety.

If you can’t drive safely within the rules you shouldn’t be on the road. Simple as.

So bikes are so dangerous you have to speed to get away from other vehicles?

Surely if a vehicle is so dangerous it can’t be driven normally without risk to the operator it shouldn’t be on the road in the first place.

A convenient cover for total disregard for the rules it seems.
You're clueless on bikes . I'm a better driver than you and have rode bikes 40 odd years safely ,fast and slow ,on off road ,left and right hand side of the road .I simply can't explain to you that you don't know what you're on about

You're clueless on bikes . I'm a better driver than you and have rode bikes 40 odd years safely ,fast and slow ,on off road ,left and right hand side of the road .I simply can't explain to you that you don't know what you're on about

More like your sheer arrogance means you can’t accept that you’re a danger, old man.

Heading into your 60s, maybe you already are, reaction time definitely isn’t what it used to be.

But you’ve driven on the right hand side of the road so check out Lewis Hamilton here 😅

You may be a better driver. Certainly more experienced. Doesn’t mean you’re right though.

“Massive respect for the road”

Aye, so much respect for the road that they can’t even bear to do the speed limit and have invented some nonsense about how it’s so dangerous being behind a car that they have to overtake for their own safety.

If you can’t drive safely within the rules you shouldn’t be on the road. Simple as.
But no one does ,all the time ,you just have bikers in your sites .You admit most accidents are others faults so you're barking up the wrong tree .Let bikers worry about themselves

But no one does ,all the time ,you just have bikers in your sites .You admit most accidents are others faults so you're barking up the wrong tree .Let bikers worry about themselves

But the disregard for the rules of the road and their own safety, amongst bikers is rife.

Unfortunately since they cause accidents that can hurt other people we can’t just let them worry about themselves.

More like your sheer arrogance means you can’t accept that you’re a danger, old man.

Heading into your 60s, maybe you already are, reaction time definitely isn’t what it used to be.

But you’ve driven on the right hand side of the road so check out Lewis Hamilton here 😅

You may be a better driver. Certainly more experienced. Doesn’t mean you’re right though.
I'm just stating facts .You like stats ,ive done I don't know how many miles with mad percentages of the chance of an accident and not had one .You've never been on a bike and yet you're in a better position to tell me about safe riding and where i'm /we're going wrong . You're the one coming out with your 95%'s and ban bikes waffle if we're talking arrogant

I'm just stating facts .You like stats ,ive done I don't know how many miles with mad percentages of the chance of an accident and not had one .You've never been on a bike and yet you're in a better position to tell me about safe riding and where i'm /we're going wrong . You're the one coming out with your 95%'s and ban bikes waffle if we're talking arrogant

Maybe you’re one of them who doesnt ride like a loon?

Last edited:
its a hobby many love, myself included. there are some idiots on bikes with little regard for theirs and others saftey, but you can say that about some car drivers to.

mainly in bmw, audi.

Oh absolutely, I don’t deny for a second there are loons in cars too. Quite clearly so

they certainly did until the japanese showed them how to build an affordable bike with an engine that didn't leak oil, was reliable and didn't need too much maintanance. saying that i've an old triumph bonneville that's sweet as a nut.
triumph nowadays under john bloor have succeeded because they 'copied the japanese and added a bit nostalgia into the mix. they build some of the best bikes around.

as for norton they were doomed to failure imo and haven't been helped by false promises. i know of two people who ordered a bike from them after being given the spiel from their chairman at the nec show and both have been fobbed off with delay after delay with the arrival date of their bikes. i just hope they can get their money back.

and as for the clowns having a go at motorbikes it's all too predictable.
Honda released the cb250 in 1968. This could out perform the triumph 650 so people bought it, as they could ride it with l plates on. Loved my 58' Triton. Looked the same as the norton in the pic, but with a triumph 650 pre unit engine.

when bloor resurrected the triumph name there was no retro style bikes. they only had the trident and the trophy in various engine sizes in the range iirc.
i had a trident and it was just a kawasaki with a cylinder lopped off. they proved reliable and expanded the range later on. i had a speed triple later on when they first came out and it was a good bike but tbh they never had the character and lineage of the meriden triumphs.not knocking them mind.
if i was to buy a new british bike now it'd be one of the new royal enfields.
I would venture that the Monster was starting to dip it's toe into roadsters with a Neo-retro influence. Never had a Triumph, though or a Monster come to that. Might have a look...

@Frijj, why the hatred for bikes and their riders? there must be something behind all this.
fwiw i prefer the more sedate pace of things, go down to the algarve every year on mine and rarely get above 70, just chill out and enjoy the travelling. there are some dicks, mainly on the sports bikes but i'm genuinely interested why the animosity?
some of the best times of my life have been riding the bike in far flung places. they give a feeling that a car journey can never achieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back