Norton

I do, yes.
Is this masking a very complex personal issue? A desire to ban something outright is a fairly extreme, one could argue, radicalised viewpoint. You want to stop people having something that means a great deal to them & that they enjoy. Why is that?

Is this masking a very complex personal issue? A desire to ban something outright is a fairly extreme, one could argue, radicalised viewpoint. You want to stop people having something that means a great deal to them & that they enjoy. Why is that?

As I'm sure you're aware, when something is prohibited by law, it's usually because whatever that thing is, either has, or had potential for, some significantly detrimental impact on individuals or society.

There are likely examples you can think of yourself.

Having looked at the road traffic incident statistics for motorcycles, it's clear that they're significantly over-represented. I've already said that I'm aware that the majority of RTIs involving motorcycles are not the fault of the rider. Often, they are the result of a motorcycle not being seen.

Whilst I acknowledge that it may seem harsh to want them banned on the basis of the majority of RTIs not being the fault of riders, I think that motorcycles present such a significant risk to the rider and create such a large potential for an RTI that they should not be on the roads. They're too small, too fast and offer practically no protection to the rider.

By the admission of at least one biker on this thread, it is unsafe for motorcycle riders to follow the rules of the road. The explanation for the need to overtake other vehicles was that motorcycles need significant space up ahead to be safe. I recognise that may be true, I have no reason to doubt that motorcycle riders would be safer with empty, open roads. However, our roads aren't empty and open, and if you need to constantly overtake to be safe on the roads, I'd ask, is the vehicle you're riding actually suitable for the conditions on most roads?

For what it's worth, I'd have a radical overhaul of driving in this country, and whilst motorcycles are reasonably high up on my agenda, I'd also introduce average speed cameras on most motorways, make black boxes mandatory for new drivers, introduce a graduated driving license, bring in regular testing for drivers over the age of 70, and probably a few more things too.

As I'm sure you're aware, when something is prohibited by law, it's usually because whatever that thing is, either has, or had potential for, some significantly detrimental impact on individuals or society.

Having looked at the road traffic incident statistics for motorcycles, it's clear that they're significantly over-represented. I've already said that I'm aware that the majority of RTIs involving motorcycles are not the fault of the rider. Often, they are the result of a motorcycle not being seen.

Whilst I acknowledge that it may seem harsh to want them banned on the basis of the majority of RTIs not being the fault of riders, I think that motorcycles present such a significant risk to the rider and create such a large potential for an RTI that they should not be on the roads. They're too small, too fast and offer practically no protection to the rider.

By the admission of at least one biker on this thread, it is unsafe for motorcycle riders to follow the rules of the road. The explanation for the need to overtake other vehicles was that motorcycles need significant space up ahead to be safe. I recognise that may be true, I have no reason to doubt that motorcycle riders would be safer with empty, open roads. However, our roads aren't empty and open, and if you need to constantly overtake to be safe on the roads, I'd ask, is the vehicle you're riding actually suitable for the conditions on most roads?

For what it's worth, I'd have a radical overhaul of driving in this country, and whilst motorcycles are reasonably high up on my agenda, I'd also introduce average speed cameras on most motorways, make black boxes mandatory for new drivers, introduce a graduated driving license, bring in regular testing for drivers over the age of 70, and probably a few more things too.
What about a ban on drivers who show an intolerance to other road users, 5 year disqualification for any driver involved in a SMIDSY (Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You) incident & compulsory CBT for anyone who wants to drive in the UK so they have an understanding of the vulnerability...

Why isn't Alcohol banned then ?

Why isn't Alcohol banned then ?

Tradition, mostly.

What about a ban on drivers who show an intolerance to other road users, 5 year disqualification for any driver involved in a SMIDSY (Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You) incident & compulsory CBT for anyone who wants to drive in the UK so they have an understanding of the vulnerability...

Intolerance is hard to define and measure, so a ban against it would not really work.

Five years is an exceptionally long ban, especially when not all 'SMIDSYs' are the fault of the car that pulls out - as I said, motorcycles are very fast and very small, they don't do enough to make themselves visible.

I wouldn't support compulsory CBTs. I don't wish to ever ride a bike. Why should I be forced to do so, to drive a car?

You asked why I wanted to ban bikes, I gave you a reason, seems you're just asking silly questions now.

Tradition, mostly.

Intolerance is hard to define and measure, so a ban against it would not really work.

Five years is an exceptionally long ban, especially when not all 'SMIDSYs' are the fault of the car that pulls out - as I said, motorcycles are very fast and very small, they don't do enough to make themselves visible.

I wouldn't support compulsory CBTs. I don't wish to ever ride a bike. Why should I be forced to do so, to drive a car?

You asked why I wanted to ban bikes, I gave you a reason, seems you're just asking silly questions now.
When you're banned from here how do you feel?

absolute rubbish. you either look for someone or you don't. the problem is most car drivers are too busy f***ing about with their phones, doing make up or trying to control their brats sitting in the back seat. you're stuck in your opinions that's clear to see and fair enough but to try to shift the blame for accidents just because of your agenda is quite weak.

Norton, Triumph, BSA produced the best moror cycles in the world up until the 1960's according to my biker mates. A bloke I work with a has a Norton Commando circa 1960's
I had one of each of those at various times, as a teenager, a Norton 350, Triumph cub and a BSA bantam, only for scrambling though, not for the road, great fun when you're around 13, but you soon grow out of that carry on, well, some do.

absolute rubbish. you either look for someone or you don't. the problem is most car drivers are too busy f***ing about with their phones, doing make up or trying to control their brats sitting in the back seat. you're stuck in your opinions that's clear to see and fair enough but to try to shift the blame for accidents just because of your agenda is quite weak.

Where have I tried to shift the blame? I've said several times that most RTIs involving motorcycles are not the fault of the rider. I do believe though that riding a very fast, agile and small vehicle will significantly increase the risk of not being seen, do you not think so?

You're obviously not happy with me stereotyping motorcyclists as dangerous risk takers, but you're happy to stereotype all car drivers as being unobservant and distracted.
When you're banned from here how do you feel?

It's more akin to being banned from posting on here from my phone. I don't want to ban motorcycle riders from using the roads as individuals, just banning the means of which they use the roads. They're welcome to drive a car.

Last edited:
I had one of each of those at various times, as a teenager, a Norton 350, Triumph cub and a BSA bantam, only for scrambling though, not for the road, great fun when you're around 13, but you soon grow out of that carry on, well, some do.
Had bsa c15 forks on my bantam scrambler. 😎

Horse riders have an even worse record and horses aren't exactly invisible plus there are even fewer of them so even more of a reason to ban them. Also what about push bikes then Frijj?
A better way to reduce accidents involving motorcycles would be to fit every car with a git big massive spike bang in the centre of the steering wheel. That would get the smidsy's concentrating.

Last edited:
Horse riders have an even worse record and horses aren't exactly invisible plus there are even fewer of them so even more of a reason to ban them. Also what about push bikes then Frijj?

While I can see the point of having a bike on the roads (obviously) I don't see the point of having horses on them.

Horse and carts should be banned mind - they absolutely are a death trap. Often see them around Bishop Auckland.

I think cyclists need to be regulated more, I'd make wearing a crash helmet compulsory, I'd give police the powers to seize bikes and issue fines if the bikes don't have lights at night etc. I find them a massive nuisance but I accept there is a legitimate need for them.

Frijj, you're now coming across as a little bit disturbed. If you don't like something, it should be banned! I think you need to have a look within yourself to see why you want to eradicate what you fear...

Frijj, you're now coming across as a little bit disturbed. If you don't like something, it should be banned! I think you need to have a look within yourself to see why you want to eradicate what you fear...

Not at all. There are many things I do not like that I don’t think should be banned.

I don’t fear motorbikes. I just think the disproportionate level of risk they hold makes them unsuitable for use on the roads.

That isn’t “shifting the blame” that’s recognising that all vehicles should do as much as they can to make themselves seen.

If you consider common sense to be shifting the blame then fair enough.

Not at all. There are many things I do not like that I don’t think should be banned.

I don’t fear motorbikes. I just think the disproportionate level of risk they hold makes them unsuitable for use on the roads.

That isn’t “shifting the blame” that’s recognising that all vehicles should do as much as they can to make themselves seen.

If you consider common sense to be shifting the blame then fair enough.
Why not ban cars then, they're the problem...

Back