Norton

They got this postponed a few weeks back but all gone now.

Started reading about them when it first started and hadn’t realised they persevered with rotary engines for quite a while. Might be part of why they lost so much ground

I read the first few comments then left this thread shaking my head. Agenda: tick. Blatant trolling: tick. Something is rotten in the State of Denmark.

Norton, Triumph, BSA produced the best moror cycles in the world up until the 1960's according to my biker mates. A bloke I work with a has a Norton Commando circa 1960's

Norton, Triumph, BSA produced the best moror cycles in the world up until the 1960's according to my biker mates. A bloke I work with a has a Norton Commando circa 1960's
they certainly did until the japanese showed them how to build an affordable bike with an engine that didn't leak oil, was reliable and didn't need too much maintanance. saying that i've an old triumph bonneville that's sweet as a nut.
triumph nowadays under john bloor have succeeded because they 'copied the japanese and added a bit nostalgia into the mix. they build some of the best bikes around.

as for norton they were doomed to failure imo and haven't been helped by false promises. i know of two people who ordered a bike from them after being given the spiel from their chairman at the nec show and both have been fobbed off with delay after delay with the arrival date of their bikes. i just hope they can get their money back.

and as for the clowns having a go at motorbikes it's all too predictable.

I agree. It'll be a great day for road safety when motorbikes are banned.

You might be on a wind-up, but I'm not! I want them off the bloody road. They're a menace.
Absolutely not. My uncle was killed on one when I was a bairn and my mate was too 8 months later. I’ve had loads of close shaves and used to see some f***ing horrible shit when I worked for an insurance company. Sooner they’re gone the better.

they certainly did until the japanese showed them how to build an affordable bike with an engine that didn't leak oil, was reliable and didn't need too much maintanance. saying that i've an old triumph bonneville that's sweet as a nut.
triumph nowadays under john bloor have succeeded because they 'copied the japanese and added a bit nostalgia into the mix. they build some of the best bikes around.

as for norton they were doomed to failure imo and haven't been helped by false promises. i know of two people who ordered a bike from them after being given the spiel from their chairman at the nec show and both have been fobbed off with delay after delay with the arrival date of their bikes. i just hope they can get their money back.

you can set your watch by them on the bike threads.

a real shame to see norton go.

Bloor got it right & a bit lucky with the emergence of retro style bikes (Speed Twin for me please!). Loved the idea of the 961 Commando but there was never the impetus that Triumph had.

Back