NHS budgeting idea

A cheaper alternative. Don't let your local Surgery let sterile items sit on the shelf and go out of date. Me mother in law was given nearly a dozen pairs of sterile scissors (sealed in packs) given to her by the local practice nurse as they where having a CQC visit in the near future, she's also got a few litres of E45 cream, and various other bits n bobs (probably adds up to a tidy sum). She's 86 and I doubt she will ever use much of it. I cannot recall the government who thought it would be a great idea to let GPs run surgeries as a business (either Tory or Labour). Most Doctors no nowt about finance and even less about use by dates.
Get the GPs working for the NHS most would say, as it is the epitome of Not For Profit.

A cheaper alternative. Don't let your local Surgery let sterile items sit on the shelf and go out of date. Me mother in law was given nearly a dozen pairs of sterile scissors (sealed in packs) given to her by the local practice nurse as they where having a CQC visit in the near future, she's also got a few litres of E45 cream, and various other bits n bobs (probably adds up to a tidy sum). She's 86 and I doubt she will ever use much of it. I cannot recall the government who thought it would be a great idea to let GPs run surgeries as a business (either Tory or Labour). Most Doctors no nowt about finance and even less about use by dates.
Get the GPs working for the NHS most would say, as it is the epitome of Not For Profit.
Inform Health & Safety authority about that.

This is all about personal responsibility.

Here is my proposal.

Every working adult will have a set amount, say £40 per month taken from their wage at source. Every year on the 1st of December everyone’s medical records will be examined and any treatment that has been administered for self-inflicted illness will be costed against said contributions.

Any ailments resulting from over eating, alcoholism, smoking and other destructive drugs will be charged from your account. If, however, none of your treatments are related to the aforementioned categories, a full rebate plus associated interest will be forthcoming...£500 would make a decent Xmas I think.

It would also be useful to install a worldometer type database to show daily deaths, amputations from obesity etc.

Carrot and stick can work well together.
It sounds a bit totalitarian to me - check what Bevin originally wanted

Nobody apart from...

You mean?

Countries With Free or Universal Healthcare

I think Cuba has anarl.

That is your version of me. I am my version of me.

You cannot just deconstruct a complex human being by just saying so on a forum, surely everyone knows that...with the excepton of Gaz that is.

perhaps working in the NHS gives me a different perspective to you, and what you suggest won’t work. Unless of course you want to give the government a helping hand towards privatisation.

GP’s are independent contractors, so if they buy stock that goes out of date its the Practice / Partners that are out of pocket as it comes out of their income

Last edited:

Here is my proposal.

Every working adult will have a set amount, say £40 per month taken from their wage at source. Every year on the 1st of December everyone’s medical records will be examined and any treatment that has been administered for self-inflicted illness will be costed against said contributions.

Any ailments resulting from over eating, alcoholism, smoking and other destructive drugs will be charged from your account. If, however, none of your treatments are related to the aforementioned categories, a full rebate plus associated interest will be forthcoming...£500 would make a decent Xmas I think.

It would also be useful to install a worldometer type database to show daily deaths, amputations from obesity etc.

There are many problems with this. I love the principle but there are just so many reasons it wouldn't work.
The cost is the first. By the time you pay to see your GP and get referred to the hospital for a test etc, you've used your £500. Even a simple private procedure is many thousands so refunding the healthy people just wouldn't work. If you return the £500 for the healthy people each year there would be no money left to treat the sick.

Every idea I can think of is either unworkable, unsuitable or will get abused.

There is a huge number of people who have little or no regard for common sense or responsibility in this country. I see them on a daily basis and they have been brought up with the opinion that some authority should sort out all of their issues, pay them money and take care of everything whilst leaving them free to abuse any system they become involved in.

Stupidity is rife in this country.
I was waiting in ASDA the other day when a girl gets to the from of the Customer Services queue. She asked for her parcel and it was handed over.
She then ripped open the package at the front of the queue to reveal shoes. she kicked her scruffy flip flops off her scruffy feet and tried them on.

"Whadda ya think Ma" she asked her mother.
"Alreet I suppose" she said rather uninterested.
"Nah, divvunt want 'em" she said and CHUCKED them at the assistant

The assistant said that there was a return label in the bag on the floor and if she stuck it on the bag and handed it over, she would send it back.
This was understood as "no" and this launched the mother into a yelling demonstration, which after a about a minute this caused mother to leave and come back with "Mickey" in his vest, fat gut, tattoos, shorts and flip flops and ask for the "F****** manager".

I had to leave at that point, but I don't know why people cant just follow rules,

perhaps working in the NHS gives me a different perspective to you, and what you suggest won’t work. Unless of course you want to give the government a helping hand towards privatisation.
Excuse me? You "Liked" Paddy's fantasy description of my good self, that had little to do with the thread title, otherwise I'd have entitled it "What do you think of Gelan"

Furthermore, working for the NHS does not mean you have some future view of an alternative system. I'm a bulldozer of good ideas and human progression, if you cannot see that then don't engage, but f you do don't enter my office with an agenda because good intention trumps that every time.

Peace & love 👍
There are many problems with this. I love the principle but there are just so many reasons it wouldn't work.
The cost is the first. By the time you pay to see your GP and get referred to the hospital for a test etc, you've used your £500. Even a simple private procedure is many thousands so refunding the healthy people just wouldn't work. If you return the £500 for the healthy people each year there would be no money left to treat the sick.

Every idea I can think of is either unworkable, unsuitable or will get abused.

There is a huge number of people who have little or no regard for common sense or responsibility in this country. I see them on a daily basis and they have been brought up with the opinion that some authority should sort out all of their issues, pay them money and take care of everything whilst leaving them free to abuse any system they become involved in.

Stupidity is rife in this country.
I was waiting in ASDA the other day when a girl gets to the from of the Customer Services queue. She asked for her parcel and it was handed over.
She then ripped open the package at the front of the queue to reveal shoes. she kicked her scruffy flip flops off her scruffy feet and tried them on.

"Whadda ya think Ma" she asked her mother.
"Alreet I suppose" she said rather uninterested.
"Nah, divvunt want 'em" she said and CHUCKED them at the assistant

The assistant said that there was a return label in the bag on the floor and if she stuck it on the bag and handed it over, she would send it back.
This was understood as "no" and this launched the mother into a yelling demonstration, which after a about a minute this caused mother to leave and come back with "Mickey" in his vest, fat gut, tattoos, shorts and flip flops and ask for the "F****** manager".

I had to leave at that point, but I don't know why people cant just follow rules,
I'd really like your assistance on the finer points of my plan as I am in total agreement with your response. The bottom line is, if you cannot improve the NHS then you have to improve attitudes, and that is the base idea.

Last edited:
True, but them private contracts are getting more and more. General practices are getting sold off too.
I'm no expert on NHS But my out patient medication comes from a private company through prescription
has done for 15 years .Paying private companies to do your work is how it is now . Prisons etc

Councils ,bt,gas,sky etc all lease vans .No workshops fixing the fleet anymore . Doesnt mean the Bill payer isn't relevant

I'm no expert on NHS But my out patient medication comes from a private company through prescription
has done for 15 years .Paying private companies to do your work is how it is now . Prisons etc

Councils ,bt,gas,sky etc all lease vans .No workshops fixing the fleet anymore . Doesnt mean the Bill payer isn't relevant
Top post Jazzy 👍

Here is my proposal.

Sounds like a social credit score. It'll eventually happen imo.

Personally I'd just stop letting the Tories give their pals money for nee reason, stop spending tax payer money on vanity projects, and use that money on the NHS and other social services. Seems a simpler solution.

First thing id do is not give all prescriptions for free, for people who have a medical exemption. Fair enough for their specific condition, but seems ridiculous to then get things free that are unrelated.

Also charge folks for:

- treatment of any injuries gained while doing any kind of sporting activity
- treatment of any injuries gained while travelling in or on a motor vehicle or cycling
- treatment of any respiratory illness gained by anyone that has ever travelled by petrol-driven car or motorcycle, diesel train or aircraft
- treatment of any injuries due to personal stupidity
- childbirths
- vasectomies
- hysterectomies
- birth control
- treatment of sexually transmitted diseases and infections

You are onto something there.

I will have a word with Sajid.
Who will undertake this mammoth task and make the decision to refund or bill on one day?

Capita or Sodexo presumably :lol:
(For a fee of £600/person)

First thing id do is not give all prescriptions for free, for people who have a medical exemption. Fair enough for their specific condition, but seems ridiculous to then get things free that are unrelated.
I've said this and I receive free prescriptions for type I diabetes. Should be medications only related to the medical exemption, eg. Insulin and needles for diabetes.
I guess the concerns about it are that if those with medical exemptions don't get other illnesses treated, would that end up costing the NHS more because of complications?

Last edited:

Back