New York

Recently booked up for NY for a weekend at the end of Jan 2020...flights were only £230 each hand luggage only so we've spent a little more and booked a hotel overlooking Central Park.
Taking the bairn too like so won't be out til the early hours...he's desperate to see stuff that was in Home Alone 2 like the toy store, the big xmas tree and the park so we've ticked the park off the list by booking that hotel ;) Not sure what else we want to do/see yet but we'll have Friday from 4ish, all day Saturday and Sunday until 3ish to squeeze it all in.
Might have a bit of bother in late January there...

Look at me! I’m there now.
CNN reporting a motorbike backfired in Times Square last night that set the crowd to panicking in the current atmosphere of tension over gun violence. I’m staying in Times Square and heard nowt!
I usually stay in the Hilton Garden on 35th at 5th, one block from the Empire State. (There’s also a Hampton Inn next door). Cracking location. Prices vary depending on occupancy but I’ve had it as low as $140 a night. They were full this week which is why I’m further uptown.
Think I might have stayed there -does it have the 'up on 20' roof bar directly under the Empire State -right next to Legends bar?

Think I might have stayed there -does it have the 'up on 20' roof bar directly under the Empire State -right next to Legends bar?
aye that’s the one or maybe next door. Cracking location, wake up, look out window, see Empire State,wander to the corner to the massive Victoria’s Secret shop and get some tackle for the missus ...

Might have a bit of bother in late January there...

Aye, I've telt him that...said we'd go there and I'd hold up a picture :lol:
Chances are it'll be bloody baltic so he'll not want to hang around too long outside looking up at stuff...

Cheers jjarra 👍

Last edited:
Aye, I've telt him that...said we'd go there and I'd hold up a picture :lol:
Chances are it'll be bloody baltic so he'll not want to hang around too long outside looking up at stuff...

Cheers jjarra 👍

No worries. If you cramming it in dont bother with empire state building unless necessary. Rockefeller will allow you to see all the main buildings up and downtown (if weather is clear)

No worries. If you cramming it in dont bother with empire state building unless necessary. Rockefeller will allow you to see all the main buildings up and downtown (if weather is clear)

I think it'll be a rush job to try and cram as much in as possible but at £1k for 3 of us for a weekend I thought it was a canny taster sesh to see if we'd like to go back for longer...he's never been to the US so looking forward to his reaction.

aye that’s the one or maybe next door. Cracking location, wake up, look out window, see Empire State,wander to the corner to the massive Victoria’s Secret shop and get some tackle for the missus ...
Cross the street, walk down the side street past Macy's and get the best breakfast at Andrew's.

Me and Mrs C are looking to go at the backend of September. Probably booking on the BA site. Is there any visa forms to complete?
As @sketchy said it's just some ESTA stuff to fill in online. It's on BA's list of stuff to do before you travel when you get the booking confirmation. Did ours a couple of weeks ago, only took a few days to come through. Mind, they didn't email to say it had gone through, I had to go back on and check.

Cross the street, walk down the side street past Macy's and get the best breakfast at Andrew's.
I’m back here in a month and if I get back in that hotel I’ll give it a go. The Hilton Gardens usually do a great cooked breakfast which is part of the reason I stay in them. I was going there so often I was on first name terms with Luis the chef. Last time I went they’d changed to this crappy grab-and-go system where you just heat up prepacked shite like an egg bagel, so I appreciate the tip I’ll drfinitely give that a go, cheers marra. My other go-to place a couple of blocks over is the Tick Tock diner on 34th at 8th.

I seen the famous Katz deli when I was there.
I never went into the deli but I wish I had done as I like pickles.
Had a pastrami club sarnie in NY, but not in Katz deli.

It's not something I would do again.
We didn't have a great amount of time and there was too much area to get around on foot, so we opted to do the horse and carriage trip to save time.
"Send a Salami to your boy in the army" I've had the pastrami sarni in Katz deli but gave the HmS table a miss.....delicious

The bairn tells me he wants to go to a Chuck e cheese, seemingly this is an american thing and i've had a look and there's a few in New York. Just had a look online and for about 6 days room only I'd be looking at about £2k + for us both (in say February time). I've just had to explain to him we may not be going for some time, it'll take me years to save up that much ffs :confused:.

The bairn tells me he wants to go to a Chuck e cheese, seemingly this is an american thing and i've had a look and there's a few in New York. Just had a look online and for about 6 days room only I'd be looking at about £2k + for us both. I've just had to explain to him we may not be going for some time, it'll take me years to save up that much ffs :confused:.
Tell your bairn he is wrong. Its shite. Take him to the little arcade on Roker Seafront if its still there and thats a bit better.

Look on Kiwi.com for your flights. Then look at something like Candlewood Suites for your stay. IYou'll soon get that two grand down.

Tell your bairn he is wrong. Its shite. Take him to the little arcade on Roker Seafront if its still there and thats a bit better.

Look on Kiwi.com for your flights. Then look at something like Candlewood Suites for your stay. IYou'll soon get that two grand down.
He has his heart set on that - apparently they have animatronics / robots there :lol:

Yes and no. Its mostly crappy arcade style games where you win tickets (huge con is getting the parents to buy the tokens for the games). The animatronic animals are cool for the under 7's but beyond that look a bit naff.
He loves Five Nights at Freddys, I think he thinks chuck e cheese is the nearest thing he'll get to freddy fazbear and the gang. I'd love to take him to America, it wounded me when he said "well dad can probably take me" so fingers crossed for a lottery win tonight 😉

The bairn tells me he wants to go to a Chuck e cheese, seemingly this is an american thing and i've had a look and there's a few in New York. Just had a look online and for about 6 days room only I'd be looking at about £2k + for us both (in say February time). I've just had to explain to him we may not be going for some time, it'll take me years to save up that much ffs :confused:.
I don't know how you are shocked at the price. Were you expecting a few hundred quid ?!

Back