New York

Didn't have to be 6 nights, that's just the duration it showed me. I still think it's a bit much charging full price for an under 10 year old kid too.
But he’s taking up an adult sized seat through eh?
If you want fairness in aeroplanes it should be about weight not age. I’m 170lbs and I have to scrape down to the bare minimum to get my 50 lbs of scuba rig on the plane without paying an egregious over charge both ways, but you get on the plane and there are numerous bloaters spilling over the seats who are clearly over 220 (plus their bags) and they don’t have to pay extra.

As for Chucky cheeses pray that your lad quickly grows out of that phase. We were there for some kid in the bairn’s class’s party and it was ‘orrible. Shite plastic pizza plus a whole gang of sugared-up hyper kids running around playing crappy arcade games.

How long you going for?

For me

No point going to empire state building, you want to see it not be on it. Rockefeller best view, see all uptown downtown

Ellis island, worth a visit

Statue of liberty, go past it on ellis island cruise. Nowt to see up close and airport security before and after boat ride

Go into hells kitchen for comedy clubs

Sugar factory for instant diabetes

O'lunneys just off time square for reasonably priced food served til 3am. Incidentally its 4 doors down from the hotel in Big with T Hanks

Freedom Tower is a great view providet

Brooklyn Brewery

Central Park

Sylvias soul food in Harlem
I'd say do the ESB once and do liberty Island once and Ellis.

True, and I’ve been to NY, NY twice so I didn’t need to win an all inclusive luxury holiday anyway.
I've only been the once, and loved it.
So much to see and do, but not enough time, to cram everything in.
I love cities that have something going on 24 hours a day.
Kings Cross at Sydney, was similar, but nothing beats NY for me.
My favourite city in the world.
Would love to go back there some day, and would also love to visit Hong Kong and Tokyo.

I've only been the once, and loved it.
So much to see and do, but not enough time, to cram everything in.
I love cities that have something going on 24 hours a day.
Kings Cross at Sydney, was similar, but nothing beats NY for me.
My favourite city in the world.
Would love to go back there some day, and would also love to visit Hong Kong and Tokyo.
Yes you do tend to feel at home in some places. NY is great in that it’s easy to get your bearings with the grid system.

I also like Berlin, Ghent and the Netherlands.

Hong Kong and Tokyo would be good to visit, I’ll have to buy some Chinese and Japanese bagels.

Yes you do tend to feel at home in some places. NY is great in that it’s easy to get your bearings with the grid system.

I also like Berlin, Ghent and the Netherlands.

Hong Kong and Tokyo would be good to visit, I’ll have to buy some Chinese and Japanese bagels.
I really enjoyed Ghent, as I did, Antwerp, Bruges, and Brussels.

Maastricht, Breda, and Alkmaar are decent places to visit in Holland.

You'll be able to do it for about a grand at the right time of year.
I've been looking at it the past few weeks - the prices look pretty consistent most of the year, other than a bit of a rise for the Christmas period, and a decent discount January to Spring. I'm in two/three minds what to do... either go late Sept or April/May. It's also a bit cheaper mid-week so can't decide if it's worth being there on a weekend or not.

Last edited:
My brother has been in NYC for 35 years ..I would always recommend one place to visit( if you like a drink!) ..the Campbell ..formerly the Campbell Apartment in the south of Grand Central Station up in a lift ..ask someone as you don't walk past it.
Check out the story of the place on wiki ..if you are going to NYC it's a historic place and a hidden gem , not a place you go into as you walk past ..but worth searching a little for ..oh and a Manhattan or two always goes down well in there ..if a little cheesy I suppose

Last edited by a moderator:
4 weeks till I go

just deciding what to pre-book on a city pass type thing

I have lost a nearly a stone in preperation of me stuffing my face!!!

I've been looking at it the past few weeks - the prices look pretty consistent most of the year, other than a bit of a rise for the Christmas period, and a decent discount January to Spring. I'm in two/three minds what to do... either go late Sept or April/May. It's also a bit cheaper mid-week so can't decide if it's worth being there on a weekend or not.

I don't think being there on a weekend matters at all, so go with whatever is cheapest. I'd avoid May as it may well be too hot. I've been in January loads of times and it's usually cold, but I'd take that over hot anytime. November was quite nice when I went but I think it can often be cold then too.

I don't think being there on a weekend matters at all, so go with whatever is cheapest. I'd avoid May as it may well be too hot. I've been in January loads of times and it's usually cold, but I'd take that over hot anytime. November was quite nice when I went but I think it can often be cold then too.
She doesn't much like the cold so unless it was to take in the Christmas vibes I think it's best avoided.

Aye I thought May might be - I've never fancied the summer there as I know it gets mad hot which is the last thing I'd want walking around all day. I'm gonna look again today at late Sept n if I get the price right enough I might just book the hower.

Perhaps you could let me know a bit of info so I can be prepared on when and where to look 😉

Two flights on Norwegian from London in January. Total price £412.

That leaves about £600 for hotels. Just checked and it'll come in at under £1k. You have to get to London and back though obviously, shouldn't cost too much as there's plenty of options.
Look on sky scanner
Extra £75 or so from Newcastle.

Last edited:
Two flights on Norwegian from London in January. Total price £412.

That leaves about £600 for hotels. Just checked and it'll come in at under £1k. You have to get to London and back though obviously, shouldn't cost too much as there's plenty of options.
Look on sky scanner
Extra £75 or so from Newcastle.
Thank you xx 👍

I agree it maks nee odds if you’re there on a weekend or midweek but it’s not THAT hot in May. I was there once in late May and we got four seasons in the space of a couple of days. I was there in January once and it was absolutely brutal. Miserably cold and when you turn a corner and the wind hits you it cuts right through, you might as well be in your drawers.

Back