New Music Releases Thread

Also given a spin to

Elephant Micah - Vague Tidings. Loose Americana inspired by the bloke's time in Alaska. Nice enough but don't know if I'd go back to it.

Spirit of the Beehive - Entertainment, Death - some bobbins backing music, but settles into alt/indie pop and rock here and there. Interesting.

Silver Synthetic - self-titled. Described as psych rock. Also as a "supergroup" though I'm not sure members of Jeff the Brotherhood would qualify in that space. I was keen on the listed influences/sounds - Television, Kinks, Velvet Underground, but I'm not sure it's as exciting as that would lead you to believe.

What has @Arkle been listening to this weekend then?

Okay then:

Max Richter - Voices 2, which I guess is material that didn't make the cut for Voices dressed up as something new. It's actually all very good in a modern classical kind of way.
Samba Toure - very good, African blues essentially. Quite rocking at times.
Bill Mackay & Nathan Bowles - I almost called him Nathan Bowels. A collaboration between two of music's great sidemen. Sort of drone folk type stuff. There are vocals, which is particularly unusual for Bill, in particular. I like it.
Declan O'Rourke - Irish folk/rock type thing (emphasis more firmly on the folk bit). Very good songs, a little bit political.
Flyte - I'm liking this. Gentle indie guitar type stuff that flutters by very pleasantly.
Rhiannon Giddens (with Francesco Turrisi) - the second album since Giddens and Turrisi got together. This is excellent. A mix of traditional songs from Ireland, Italy, the middle east, the US, together with some new tunes.
Peggy Seeger - she's about 85, I think. A proper veteran. This is playful and fun and always interesting.
Whatitdo Archive Group - interesting. Cinematic, largely instrumental soul. Enjoyable.
Saccades - solo project of Nicholas Wood from The KVB. It's a bit shoegazey and a little electronic. Hasn't really grabbed me.
Ballake Sissoke - kora playing maestro makes beatiful album of kora based songs. It really is lovely.
Beverly Glenn-Copeland - his album Keyboard Fantasies was first released in 1986 (or 1983 maybe) and is now re-released. Ambient keyboard stuff with some lovely vocals over the top.
Caoilfhionn Rose - she's from Manchester and has worked a lot with Vini Reilly of The Durutti Column a lot. There are nods to folk, jazz and electronica here. All in all very good.
Here Lies Man - I think I missed this when it arrived in January. It's their usual stoner rock with slight African influences. They're pretty good at what they do.
Taylor Swift - her breakthrough album re-recorded as part of some ongoing battle with her former manager. Countryish pop songs getting a modern Swifty makeover. Enjoyable, if a tad long (26 tracks).
Matthew E White & Lonnie Holley - interesting and mostly very good. I guess it's some sort of psychedelic soul improv type thing. Good fun.

Album fo the week: Rhiannon Giddens (with Francesco Turrisi) although Ballake Sissoko goes close.

Also forgot to mention that Ratboys had something new out (Happy Birthday, Ratboy) the previous Friday that I only heard about last week - they did one of my favorite albums of last year (Printer's Devil). The new one is a re-recording of some of their earliest releases, so it was a good way for me to delve deeper. Female vocal Indie-folk with a punky tinge. I like them a lot.

Starting to book gigs again. I know a few have mentioned.

In my diary I have Field Music, The Staves and Owen. Managed to miss out on Slowthai by 20 minutes or so...

Anyone else got many lined up?

In my diary I have Field Music, The Staves and Owen. Managed to miss out on Slowthai by 20 minutes or so...

Quite a few carried over from last year, and some new ones

New Order, Primavera (now 2022), End of the Road, Dana Gavanski, Lanterns on the Lake, Sleaford Mods, Fontaine’s DC, the National, Osees, GY!BE, Julien Baker, WH lung.

How many of these happen, god knows

Just Deathcrash and a solo set from Lias Sauodi at the minute. Not booking anything else until its clearer whether they'll go ahead. I've already lost track of the gigs that I've got tickets for but have been moved about 4 times.

I will put my flame proof suit on and say that I only have The Offspring lined up.

I also fancy Grade 2 in December and Sarah Shook in September but need to find someone to go with because they are both weekdays so I can’t just drag the wife.

I will put my flame proof suit on and say that I only have The Offspring lined up.

I also fancy Grade 2 in December and Sarah Shook in September but need to find someone to go with because they are both weekdays so I can’t just drag the wife.
Judging. But this is from today

Mainly postponed from 2020, I have Ian Prowse with Amsterdam, Scouting For Girls (thanks to my daughter), Skinny Lister. The Men They Couldn't Hang x2, Billy Bragg and Jim Bob. Ian McNabb was moved to 2022.

Back