New Music Releases Thread

Wow, the Amigo The Devil album is quite spectacular. Stripped down, narrative driven Americana heavily influenced by Tom Waits, Nick Cave and Johnny Cash.
A touch of Adam Green in there too.

Will give that a listen. As for my weekend listening:

MICROCORP: pulsating electronica. Reminds me of Blanck Mass. Highly recommended!
Natural Information Society feat. Evan Parker: quite a rocking, upbeat set of what I'm taking to be improvised jazz. Parts jar a bit but parts are excellent. Four very long tracks.
Andy Stott: pretty good, ambentish electronica with some nice female vocals.
Skullcrusher: the EP which cam uot last week. Bit of fuller band sound to her previous releases. Pretty good.
Sorry: also their EP from last week, which I've just got round to. It's good. They're reminding me a bit of Fat White Family.
Kutiman: three long tracks of gentle, washing ambience. A very different sound to the tribal chants of his last album but still good.
Bills & Aches & Blues (compilation): 4AD's 40th anniversary celebration. Current acts from their roster doing covers of acts that were/are on the label. It's pretty good as compilation albums go.
Benedikt: as mentioned by @chunkylover53 this is very early to mid period Sufjan (I think down to the vocal resemblance). Impressive!
Cory Hanson: the bloke from Wand solo. It's pretty good, quite laidback sort of psych-Americana.

It's also worth mentioning Uncut's cover CD, which is their Dylan tribute for his 80th birthday. A Dylan exclusive (acoustic version of Too Late) plus 14 newly recorded covers by some quite big name artists.

Album of the week: A tie between MICROCORP and Benedikt.

Will give that a listen.
I think you’ll approve. As well as the other artists I’ve mentioned, one or 2 of the songs are very reminiscent of the first Me & That Man album.

He has 2 previous albums as well (both released in 2008, so I’m assuming one is perhaps a compilation of early recordings or a re-release) which I’ll be checking out this afternoon.
EDIT - 2018 not 2008

Last edited:
I think you’ll approve. As well as the other artists I’ve mentioned, one or 2 of the songs are very reminiscent of the first Me & That Man album.

He has 2 previous albums as well (both released in 2008, so I’m assuming one is perhaps a compilation of early recordings or a re-release) which I’ll be checking out this afternoon.
EDIT - 2018 not 2008

I like that. Not sure it'll be my favourite album of the year but very enjoyable.

New Mountain Goats album announced for June - apparently started recording it the day after they finished their last one, so that's 3 albums recorded last March :eek: . They're becoming almost as prolific as Osees or the Gizzards. Tracks include The Destruction of the Kola Superdeep Borehole Tower, The Slow Parts on Death Metal Albums, and Arguing With the Ghost of Peter Laughner About His Coney Island Baby Review. :lol:

Enjoying Greta Van Fleet very muchly. Especially Noddy Holder doing all the vocals.

MICROCORP: pulsating electronica. Reminds me of Blanck Mass. Highly recommended!
Natural Information Society feat. Evan Parker: quite a rocking, upbeat set of what I'm taking to be improvised jazz. Parts jar a bit but parts are excellent. Four very long tracks.
Skullcrusher: the EP which cam uot last week. Bit of fuller band sound to her previous releases. Pretty good.
Sorry: also their EP from last week, which I've just got round to. It's good. They're reminding me a bit of Fat White Family.
Kutiman: three long tracks of gentle, washing ambience. A very different sound to the tribal chants of his last album but still good.
Bills & Aches & Blues (compilation): 4AD's 40th anniversary celebration. Current acts from their roster doing covers of acts that were/are on the label. It's pretty good as compilation albums go.
Benedikt: as mentioned by @chunkylover53 this is very early to mid period Sufjan (I think down to the vocal resemblance). Impressive!
Cory Hanson: the bloke from Wand solo. It's pretty good, quite laidback sort of psych-Americana.

It's also worth mentioning Uncut's cover CD, which is their Dylan tribute for his 80th birthday. A Dylan exclusive (acoustic version of Too Late) plus 14 newly recorded covers by some quite big name artists.

I'll be giving microcorp and Andy stott a spin, as well as kutiman, if I can stop inserting a random 'n' in there everything I read the name.

Last edited:
So Apple Music has decided to update its tailored new releases and there are a couple of decent listens on there. Neither are groundbreaking, but both are worth a mention on here.

Zach Schmidt - Raise a Banner
Alt-country singer-songwriter. Backing band on this album is The 500Unit of Jason Isbell fame. It’s more traditional country that Isbell’s stuff but you can definitely hear the influence on this.

Elise Davis - Anxious.Happy.Chill
An eclectic mix of Americana, indie-rock and pop. Various bits of this remind me of Laura Veirs, Aubrey Sellars, Lily Hiatt, Neko Case and Ladyhawke.

Last edited:

his dub techno stuff on modern love, was always worth buying

just got the new field music lp on, lovely stuff

animal collective "crestone" decent..

New releases this week come from Alan Vega (posthumous release delayed from 2 weeks back, I think), Art d'Ecco, Dimosaur Jr, Eric Church, Field Music, Laurence-Anne, Luminous Kid, Porter Robinson, Roisin Murphy (remixes), Silverware, Todd Snider, Tom Jones, ER Jurken and Toumani Diabate & the London Symphony Orchestra.

New releases this week come from Alan Vega (posthumous release delayed from 2 weeks back, I think), Art d'Ecco, Dimosaur Jr, Eric Church, Field Music, Laurence-Anne, Luminous Kid, Porter Robinson, Roisin Murphy (remixes), Silverware, Todd Snider, Tom Jones, ER Jurken and Toumani Diabate & the London Symphony Orchestra.
Not been a great few weeks. Dinosaur Jr and Field Music stand out

Heard some of that Toumane Diabate/LSO last week - must say it's quite magnificent.

This week been listening to London Grammar, Great van Fleet, While She Sleeps and Andy Stott. Ranging from very good to excellent

Andy Stott is decent just nothing will live up to his Luxury Problems from 2012.

Alan Vega new found album will ge good to hear. That and Field Music for me.

This Eli Smart debut EP is canny. Sorta a bit DD Dumbo esque desert blues, Hawaiian uke (he's from Kauai), and.... Jake Bugg when he wasn't absolutely f***ing guff??? BBQ music but a good version of it.

Back