New Music Releases Thread

As people have replied, I’m still very sceptical about things going ahead. Festivals a big one. I have a friend who works at one that I won’t name and he says the big issue is government’s insurance policies for festivals in case it all goes Pete tong. As in, there aren’t any and there’s still a lack of clarity. I have my Green Man tickets still.

Need something to look forward to though.

Silver Synthetic - self-titled. Described as psych rock. Also as a "supergroup" though I'm not sure members of Jeff the Brotherhood would qualify in that space. I was keen on the listed influences/sounds - Television, Kinks, Velvet Underground, but I'm not sure it's as exciting as that would lead you to believe.
This popped up on my recommended new releases on Apple Music. Nice background music but probably not one I’ll return to much.

I’m not sure if I’d call it either psych-rock or garage-psych (which is another description I saw online for it), it’s more like very-slightly-psych and 60s influenced indie-pop/Americana/indie-rock/blues.

As people have replied, I’m still very sceptical about things going ahead. Festivals a big one. I have a friend who works at one that I won’t name and he says the big issue is government’s insurance policies for festivals in case it all goes Pete tong. As in, there aren’t any and there’s still a lack of clarity. I have my Green Man tickets still.

Need something to look forward to though.

Likewise, I've still get my GM tickets. Not sure about it going ahead though...

This popped up on my recommended new releases on Apple Music. Nice background music but probably not one I’ll return to much.

I’m not sure if I’d call it either psych-rock or garage-psych (which is another description I saw online for it), it’s more like very-slightly-psych and 60s influenced indie-pop/Americana/indie-rock/blues.
Yeah, thought the description was well off.

Presume you saw BNL's first new song in 4 years a couple of days ago

New albums this week from Andy Stott, Autogramm, Born Ruffians, Eric Church, Greta Van Fleet, London Grammar, Paul McCartney, Spencer Krug, The Armed, The Offspring, Natural Information Society with Evan Parker and Microcorps.

A quiet week really.
I’ve already outed myself on this thread so The Offspring. Nothing else grabs my attention, might give Born Ruffians a listen but that’s about it.
Presume you saw BNL's first new song in 4 years a couple of days ago
Yeah Inhave. Unfortunately it’s the same dull MOR stuff that has made up about half their material since Steve Page left.
Kevin Hearn is the best songwriter in BNL now but it’s still Ed’s songs that make up the majority.
It’s no coincidence that Fake Nudes was their best album post-Page by far and 6/14 tracks were written by Hearn with another one by Jim Creeggan.
EDIT - it was 9/14 written by Hearn - he did lead vocals on 6

Last edited:
guilty please of mine but china crisis playing cluny august bank holiday ( 29th ) , not sure will go ahead, and can get packed in there, was there for michael head and it was chocca .

New albums this week from Andy Stott, Autogramm, Born Ruffians, Eric Church, Greta Van Fleet, London Grammar, Paul McCartney, Spencer Krug, The Armed, The Offspring, Natural Information Society with Evan Parker and Microcorps.

A quiet week really.

coincidentally, I’m sat here listening to Andy Stotts album Luxury Priblems.
if his new one is half as good it’ll be superb.

Yeah Inhave. Unfortunately it’s the same dull MOR stuff that has made up about half their material since Steve Page left.
Kevin Hearn is the best songwriter in BNL now but it’s still Ed’s songs that make up the majority.
It’s no coincidence that Fake Nudes was their best album post-Page by far and 6/14 tracks were written by Hearn with another one by Jim Creeggan.
EDIT - it was 9/14 written by Hearn - he did lead vocals on 6
Yeah, I only played it once and it did sound very BNL/Ed by numbers. I've not really bothered with them since Page left (I got Are Me / Are Men as a double for $4 from a used store, but that's it). This new one sounds just like Pinch Me, Another Postcard, etc. Nothing new, interchangeable (he loves that little almost rap thing - it's in everything!), and instantly forgettable. Shame.

Yeah, I only played it once and it did sound very BNL/Ed by numbers. I've not really bothered with them since Page left (I got Are Me / Are Men as a double for $4 from a used store, but that's it). This new one sounds just like Pinch Me, Another Postcard, etc. Nothing new, interchangeable (he loves that little almost rap thing - it's in everything!), and instantly forgettable. Shame.
I really like Are Me/Are Men - it’s definitely the last album where they properly sound like BNL (probably because it’s the last album with Page). The first post-Page record was actually pretty good in a radio-rock kinda way, like Ed had been saving all his own songs up and the best ones made the record. Next 2 are full of filler then Fake Nudes was a return to form of sorts (Township of Kings is one of my favourite BNL tracks).

Last edited:
I really like Are Me/Are Men - it’s definitely the last album where they properly sound like BNL (probably because it’s the last album with Page). The first post-Page record was actually pretty good in a radio-rock kinda way, like Ed had been saving all his own songs up and the best ones made the record. Next 2 are full of filler then Fake Nudes was a return to form of sorts (Township of Kings is one of my favourite BNL tracks).
I might see them in the summer - they're playing Central Park, but I'd only be bothering because I'm a fan of the coheadliners, Gin Blossoms. Page still plays around these parts once in a while - I'd be tempted to see him, I always gravitated to his more than Robertson's, but I don't know if he plays BNL stuff or if he's been doing his own material since he left

I might see them in the summer - they're playing Central Park, but I'd only be bothering because I'm a fan of the coheadliners, Gin Blossoms. Page still plays around these parts once in a while - I'd be tempted to see him, I always gravitated to his more than Robertson's, but I don't know if he plays BNL stuff or if he's been doing his own material since he left
I think he does a mixture. I’ve never seen him - he played King Tuts a couple of years back but I wasn’t able to go. His first 2 solo albums (“Page One” and “Heal Thyself Pt1”) are very good - although I thought his 3rd was just ok - so he’s probably worth seeing.

Is that part of the tour that was cancelled last year due to COVID? I’m sure they were bringing the Gin Blossoms as support to the U.K. I had tickets for it in Aberdeen last April.

I think he does a mixture. I’ve never seen him - he played King Tuts a couple of years back but I wasn’t able to go. His first 2 solo albums (“Page One” and “Heal Thyself Pt1”) are very good - although I thought his 3rd was just ok - so he’s probably worth seeing.

Is that part of the tour that was cancelled last year due to COVID? I’m sure they were bringing the Gin Blossoms as support to the U.K. I had tickets for it in Aberdeen last April.
No idea, to be honest. I'm on the Central Park / NYC parks gigs email list (had tix for Decemberists there last summer and saw Bloc Party and Mountain Goats the summer before) so I just got an email this week when they announced they were starting shows in the city parks again. Don't know about a wider tour, but I do think they were meant to be playing the park last year

Wow, the Amigo The Devil album is quite spectacular. Stripped down, narrative driven Americana heavily influenced by Tom Waits, Nick Cave and Johnny Cash.
A touch of Adam Green in there too.

Last edited:
Wow, the Amigo The Devil album is quite spectacular. Stripped down, narrative driven Americana heavily influenced by Tom Waits, Nick Cave and Johnny Cash.
A touch of Adam Green in there too.
sounds up my strasse, will be giving that a go. Only 'new' thing I've listened to in the past week is London Grammar, which I quite enjoyed. So shoot me.......

Back