New Music Releases Thread

The first new releases of August tomorrow. We have albums from Amine, Deep Purple, Glass Animals, Helvetia, Jaga Jazzist, Jason Molina (a posthumous release), Luke Bryan, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Misery Signals, The Microphones, Washed Out, Another Sky, Billy Nomates, Vintage Crop, Liela Moss and Idris Ackamoor & the Pyramids.

Vintage Crop I like. Billy Nomates was in the Observer the other day and got quite a talkup.

The first new releases of August tomorrow. We have albums from Amine, Deep Purple, Glass Animals, Helvetia, Jaga Jazzist, Jason Molina (a posthumous release), Luke Bryan, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Misery Signals, The Microphones, Washed Out, Another Sky, Billy Nomates, Vintage Crop, Liela Moss and Idris Ackamoor & the Pyramids.
Jason Molina and the Microphones obviously. Wasn’t even aware that the Microphones had a new one, actually listening to the Glow Pt 2 right now.

Glass Animals and Washed Out will get a listen I am sure.

anything else you recommend?

Vintage Crop and Billy Nomates, as mentioned by @Bukowski. Another Sky are getting good reviews. Maybe Liela Moss?

Haven’t been much of a fan of those Another Sky singles but maybe it makes more sense as a full record. Coming home at the weekend and have a long train. Plenty of listening time.

I’m pretty sure Deep Purple are the only act on that list I’ve actually heard of. Any recommendations?

Obviously a few mentions of Billy Nomates on here so he will be one

another sky ?? god , i saw them on 'later', think they are the worst band i've ever heard, they must have good pluggers or connections in high places to get on there. Abysmal didn't come close.

I’m pretty sure Deep Purple are the only act on that list I’ve actually heard of. Any recommendations?

Obviously a few mentions of Billy Nomates on here so he will be one

You might like Jason Molina. He was a singer songwriter who recorded as Songs: Ohia and then with his band Magnolia Electric Co. Kind of Americana/lo-fi stuff. Vintage Crop are post-punk/garage rock type stuff from Australia. Mary Chapin Carpenter is a veteran Americana/country singer-songwriter. Given your taste, I'd say those are the three you're most likely to like.

I'm interested to hear Billy Nomates album as some of the stuff she's done is OK and some rather meh.

Not new and not from this week but...

The new Max Richter album is a thing of great beauty. I think I prefer the totally instrumental versions of the tracks to the versions with spoken word.
The Martin Green Presents Super Sonics ~ 40 Junkshop Britpop Greats contains some absolute brilliance and some deep mundanity. It also extends the definition of Britpop a lot - I'm not sure that Huggy Bear, Earl Brutus, Add N To X, Bis or several others on it were at all Britpop.
The Kingmaker box set that's just come is a reminder that they were initially great but went downhill a bit over the course of three albums. Some cracking tunes though!

The new Max Richter album is a thing of great beauty. I think I prefer the totally instrumental versions of the tracks to the versions with spoken word.
The Martin Green Presents Super Sonics ~ 40 Junkshop Britpop Greats contains some absolute brilliance and some deep mundanity. It also extends the definition of Britpop a lot - I'm not sure that Huggy Bear, Earl Brutus, Add N To X, Bis or several others on it were at all Britpop.
The Kingmaker box set that's just come is a reminder that they were initially great but went downhill a bit over the course of three albums. Some cracking tunes though!
Was lucky enough to see Max Richter at the Barbican performing it live. Listened again and it is really something.

kingmaker- as in armchair anarchist ditty ?

Aye, it's 1991-95 box set. Their three albums, with some extras plus two bonus disks of live tracks, covers, B sides etc. Probably stretches things a bit makingt a five disc box set from a band that made 3 albums.
aye, had a few early singles ( don't think had any of their albums ) think lost interest in them but always liked armchair anarchist.

Back