New Music Releases Thread

I have to say I am quite enjoying the new Massive Wagons album. You seen these or interviewed them @mickb2112 ?
I`ve heard it and it`s pretty decent. I think I may have seen them but I might be getting them mixed up with the Aussie`s, Massive. I haven`t interviewed them yet but I did just interview Rik Emmett from Triumph last night which was great. Been after him for a while so really pleased to do that.

They were basically The Wonderstuff had they not gone a bit folk?
That’s certainly not far off to be honest. Worked a lot together, too, both touring and guesting (there’s a fairly famous bootleg of Loz filling in on guitar when Malc Treece was sick). Saw them several times either supporting TWS or headlining their own shows - like you say, early/mid stuff was excellent (even the third had some decent stuff, but it was very patchy)

Quite a quiet week, although it seems that Endless Boogie have put out a quadruple album of older previously unreleased material on Bandcamp, which I need to check out. Beyond that, the stuff I've been listening to:

Jason Molina - beautiful, fragile, brief (25 minutes). Exceptionally good really!
Jaga Jazzist - a very good album of, I guess post-jazztronica from the Norwegian collective. From memory, they're at their best live.
Vintage Crop - top notch lo-fi post-punk from the Aussies. Witty, cracking choruses, quite addictive.
Billy Nomates - the Sleaford Mods comparisons definitely hold true (Jason WIlliamson is on the album), not so sure there's a Suzi Quatro vibe going on. Some songs miss the mark but, generally, a very promising and interesting debut.
Willie J Healey - I quite like him. A decent singer songwriter who'll do well at festivals.
The Microphones - hold the front page, the back page and all the pages in between, we're in potential album of the year territory here! One long track (almost 45 mins) from Phil Elverum, reverting to the name he initially recorded under before being Mount Eerie. It flows brilliantly and TBH doesn't seem like it's 44 mins and 44 seconds long.

Album of the week: Much as the Jason Molina, Jaga Jazzist and Vintage Crop are great, there is only one candidate this week, The Microphones in 2020.

Quite a quiet week, although it seems that Endless Boogie have put out a quadruple album of older previously unreleased material on Bandcamp, which I need to check out. Beyond that, the stuff I've been listening to:

Jason Molina - beautiful, fragile, brief (25 minutes). Exceptionally good really!
Jaga Jazzist - a very good album of, I guess post-jazztronica from the Norwegian collective. From memory, they're at their best live.
Vintage Crop - top notch lo-fi post-punk from the Aussies. Witty, cracking choruses, quite addictive.
Billy Nomates - the Sleaford Mods comparisons definitely hold true (Jason WIlliamson is on the album), not so sure there's a Suzi Quatro vibe going on. Some songs miss the mark but, generally, a very promising and interesting debut.
Willie J Healey - I quite like him. A decent singer songwriter who'll do well at festivals.
The Microphones - hold the front page, the back page and all the pages in between, we're in potential album of the year territory here! One long track (almost 45 mins) from Phil Elverum, reverting to the name he initially recorded under before being Mount Eerie. It flows brilliantly and TBH doesn't seem like it's 44 mins and 44 seconds long.

Album of the week: Much as the Jason Molina, Jaga Jazzist and Vintage Crop are great, there is only one candidate this week, The Microphones in 2020.
the microphones- sounds very interesting noticed from olympia , could they be ( or were ) fleet foxish or poor moonish ? what track would recommend to listen to ?

That Glass Animals record is excellent pop, fully recommend.

Can't get away with Vintage Crop. That genre of knock off Parquet Courts is so saturated, I'm struggling to drag up any enthusiam for it.

the microphones- sounds very interesting noticed from olympia , could they be ( or were ) fleet foxish or poor moonish ? what track would recommend to listen to ?

I'm not sure I'd compare them to Fleet Foxes or Poor Moon. Nowhere near as folky. As the current album is only one track, it's difficult to recommend anything other than the album. From the early 2000s, their album "The Glow Pt. 2" is tremendous. More recently, Phil Elverum has been recording as Mount Eerie. From their/his output, I'd say listen to A Crow Looked At Me. It's not an easy listen as it's about his wife's death and him overcoming the associated grief.

I'm not sure I'd compare them to Fleet Foxes or Poor Moon. Nowhere near as folky. As the current album is only one track, it's difficult to recommend anything other than the album. From the early 2000s, their album "The Glow Pt. 2" is tremendous. More recently, Phil Elverum has been recording as Mount Eerie. From their/his output, I'd say listen to A Crow Looked At Me. It's not an easy listen as it's about his wife's death and him overcoming the associated grief.
oh my, who would you compare them with ( if that's possible ) ? was only being geographic about it re musical styles.

Just listening to Microphones now. It’s really superb isn’t it?

I missed them the first time around, but really got into the Mount Eerie stuff. He’s a genius. Seeing him perform A Crow Looked at Me in a church was astonishing

cant see it on Spotify ? Anywhere Where it is on ?

Back