New Music Releases Thread

Finally getting around to bdrmm - 6 tracks in and it's right up my alley. Really like it.

Listened to a newish hardcore punk album yesterday - The Passion Of by Special Interest. A genre I do dabble in - this one wasn't my thing but might be for someone else.

Last edited:
dmas new album out tomorrow if anyone is interested in them, great reviews so far even from the likes of clash music etc which usually give them a width birth or have until this point

A fair few new releases this week... we have albums from Dinner Party (a supergroup involving Kamasi Washington), DMAs, Inter Arma, Juliana Barwick, Margo Price, Mike Shinoda, My Morning Jacket, Nzca/Lines, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Rufus Wainwright, Sam Prekop, The Beths, The Jayhawks, The Streets, Paint, Mr Ben & the Bens, The Magpies, The Explorers Club (2 albums from them), Inventions, Three Queens in Mourning & Bonnie Prince Billy and Bill Nace.

Plenty to get your chops round there!

A fair few new releases this week... we have albums from Dinner Party (a supergroup involving Kamasi Washington), DMAs, Inter Arma, Juliana Barwick, Margo Price, Mike Shinoda, My Morning Jacket, Nzca/Lines, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Rufus Wainwright, Sam Prekop, The Beths, The Jayhawks, The Streets, Paint, Mr Ben & the Bens, The Magpies, The Explorers Club (2 albums from them), Inventions, Three Queens in Mourning & Bonnie Prince Billy and Bill Nace.

Plenty to get your chops round there!
Margo and the Jayhawks for me I think.

Given my obsession with all musicians named Ben, I should probably give Mr Ben & the Ben’s a go, even if they have stolen their name from one of the greatest “supergroups”. I hope it’s up to the standard of this beauty:
Logon or register to see this image

I’m surprised Saint Cloud by Waxahatchee didn’t get into more people’s starting 11. I don’t think I could probably do one, not been properly focused on new music this year and green man is usually my focus on listening to new stuff.

Anyway, favourite new signings are Saint Cloud, Punisher and The Avalanche. Will try a few more on the lists.

One of my favourite artists, someone that was mentored by Prince and had a collab album with him planned before he died has an EP out tomorrow if you've got nowt to listen to.

Second new Sufjan song released today, very good indeed

The Beths sounds like the Beths, good pop hooks. Probably won’t go back to it that often
Juliana Barwick is unsurprisingly excellent on first spin. Probably will get obsessed with it. Safe is a magical song

Peel Dream Magazine have a new EP out today as well

Second new Sufjan song released today, very good indeed

The Beths sounds like the Beths, good pop hooks. Probably won’t go back to it that often
Juliana Barwick is unsurprisingly excellent on first spin. Probably will get obsessed with it. Safe is a magical song

Peel Dream Magazine have a new EP out today as well
Just downloaded The Beths to listen to later, sound right up my street if the Guardian article on them today is anything to go by (namechecked Rilo Kiley, Jenny Lewis, Tegan and Sara).

Oh, and the DMA's new release is very, very good imo.
As much as I love Neil, I'd file it under one for completists.

I mean it's not bad, but I don't think it stacks up against his records of the era that were released.
Couldn't agree more. A throwback we could have done without.

Last edited:
the streets have a new album out today also kevin parker from tame impala and a good few others guesting on it

New DMAs album is a belter on first few listens

I've got that Streets record on now. Lyrically it's absolutely abysmal. The title track with the bloke from Idles is bad.

It gets a better after that though, I'm about halfway through.

I’m loving the new Margo Price album. She sounds like Stevie Nicks on a couple of tracks IMO (particularly the opener which reminds me of “Dreams” in a couple of places) and she definitely steps out of “country” and firmly into “alt-country”/“Southern Rock” territory in places too. Wonderful.

Last edited:
Julianna Barwick is so good

Silver Scrolls - Music for walks is very good, not sure how to describe it sorry.
Rufus Wainwright sounds like Rufus by numbers. He’s great but it’s just the same stuff
Kestrels - Dream or Don’t Dream is also rather decent

Right, well, as I sometimes do, I'll divide my weekly review into chunks. Part the first:

Silver Scrolls - I like this. @chunkylover53 was unable to describe it. I'd say that it's like a couple of randy rhinoceri really going for it out the back of Halford's at 3am on a wet October night, only in musical form. Alternately, they're a bit like The Men.
Dinner Party - proficient. Pleasingly brief at 23 mins. A bit dull TBH.
Mr Ben & the Bens - very lovely indeed. A classic indiepop album from a band with a classic indiepop name.
Juliana Barwick - marvellous! There's some electronic wizardry going on meaning that the album is both very human and very not human. The bunny!
The Jayhawks - it's good, it's very good, some cracking songs. Line up changes mean that they've maybe moved from being The Jayhawks to being quite Wilco.
Rufus Wainwright - well, I like this a lot. He's still getting nowhere near Want One in terms of quality but it may be his best since.

Added bonus, for me, song of the year so far:

Back