New Music Releases Thread

Just gave it a whirl for the first time. Same as the second album IMO. Too clean, too nice. They’ve lost any edginess they had on Hills End which I was, and still am, a big fan of. Can’t see me revisiting this effort in a hurry.
Its really good i reckon, so was their 2nd although hills end is the best aye

Cant wait for gigs to be back to normal theyre superb live

Right, well, as I sometimes do, I'll divide my weekly review into chunks. Part the first:

Silver Scrolls - I like this. @chunkylover53 was unable to describe it. I'd say that it's like a couple of randy rhinoceri really going for it out the back of Halford's at 3am on a wet October night, only in musical form. Alternately, they're a bit like The Men.
You sure? I always had The Men as having more of an angst-ridden sound, like only one of the rhinos is really into it, but the other is sidetracked, looking over its shoulder watching for poachers?

Right, well, as I sometimes do, I'll divide my weekly review into chunks. Part the first:

Silver Scrolls - I like this. @chunkylover53 was unable to describe it. I'd say that it's like a couple of randy rhinoceri really going for it out the back of Halford's at 3am on a wet October night, only in musical form. Alternately, they're a bit like The Men.
Dinner Party - proficient. Pleasingly brief at 23 mins. A bit dull TBH.
Mr Ben & the Bens - very lovely indeed. A classic indiepop album from a band with a classic indiepop name.
Juliana Barwick - marvellous! There's some electronic wizardry going on meaning that the album is both very human and very not human. The bunny!
The Jayhawks - it's good, it's very good, some cracking songs. Line up changes mean that they've maybe moved from being The Jayhawks to being quite Wilco.
Rufus Wainwright - well, I like this a lot. He's still getting nowhere near Want One in terms of quality but it may be his best since.

Added bonus, for me, song of the year so far:

The rest of my week's listening:

Inventions - very good indeed. One half is from Eluviu, one half from Explosions in The Sky. Kind of playful electronica.
The Beths - pleasantly bouncy/poppy.
Bab L'Bluz - the sound of young Morocco, amelding of traditional stuff and some block rocking beats. Exceptionally good!
The Explorers Club - two albums of 60s enthralled pop, one covers one not, I think. Quite nice but not essential.
Three Queens In Mourning - an album of Bonnie "Prince Billy covers by some top British folkies, also 4 new BPB songs. Outstanding!
Paint - one of the Allah-Lahs goes solo. Lo-fi indie type stuff, pretty good.
The Magpies - female fronted folk. Pretty good.
Margo Price - a step away from country toward Laurel Canyonish 70s rock Highly enjoyable!
The Streets - I'm not overly keen. Not sure the clashes of genres really work.
My Morning Jacket - not sure this pushes back their boundaries much but it's very good.

Album of the week: Three Queens in Mourning, pressed hard by Bab L'Bluz, Inventions, Silver Scrolls, Mr Ben & the Bens and Julianna Barwick.

The rest of my week's listening:

Inventions - very good indeed. One half is from Eluviu, one half from Explosions in The Sky. Kind of playful electronica.
The Beths - pleasantly bouncy/poppy.
Bab L'Bluz - the sound of young Morocco, amelding of traditional stuff and some block rocking beats. Exceptionally good!
The Explorers Club - two albums of 60s enthralled pop, one covers one not, I think. Quite nice but not essential.
Three Queens In Mourning - an album of Bonnie "Prince Billy covers by some top British folkies, also 4 new BPB songs. Outstanding!
Paint - one of the Allah-Lahs goes solo. Lo-fi indie type stuff, pretty good.
The Magpies - female fronted folk. Pretty good.
Margo Price - a step away from country toward Laurel Canyonish 70s rock Highly enjoyable!
The Streets - I'm not overly keen. Not sure the clashes of genres really work.
My Morning Jacket - not sure this pushes back their boundaries much but it's very good.

Album of the week: Three Queens in Mourning, pressed hard by Bab L'Bluz, Inventions, Silver Scrolls, Mr Ben & the Bens and Julianna Barwick.
Not much sticking from the last few weeks, Margo Price, Jayhawks, My morning jacket all ok, but just steady 6s, nowt flash.

Gillian Welch and David Rawlings came out last week, some good stuff on there, think it’s all covers, recognised a few from Dylan and John Prine.

Think I’ll give that Three Queens a try, used to like some of the bonnie prince billy stuff.

Last edited:
Not much sticking from the last few weeks, Margo Price, Jayhawks, My morning jacket all ok, but just steady 6s, nowt flash.

Gillian Welch and David Rawlings came out last week, some good stuff on there, think it’s all covers, recognised a few from Dylan and John Prine.

Think I’ll give that Three Queens a try, used to like some of the bonnie prince billy stuff.

Didn't realise the Gillain Welch and David Rawlings album was out. I'll check that out.

Halfway through July. There's an array of new releases tomorrow from Blu & Exile, Bronson, Bush, Ellie Goulding, Gang of Four (their posthumous EP), JARV IS..., Laraaji, Lianne La Havas, Nicholas Jaar, Pretenders, Protomartyr, Surfer Blood, The Chicks (no longer Dixie), Crack Cloud, David Ramirez, Bing & Ruth, Kutiman, Samantha Crain and The Bobby Lees.

Halfway through July. There's an array of new releases tomorrow from Blu & Exile, Bronson, Bush, Ellie Goulding, Gang of Four (their posthumous EP), JARV IS..., Laraaji, Lianne La Havas, Nicholas Jaar, Pretenders, Protomartyr, Surfer Blood, The Chicks (no longer Dixie), Crack Cloud, David Ramirez, Bing & Ruth, Kutiman, Samantha Crain and The Bobby Lees.
Really looking forward to Protomartyr

The Real Mckenzies have a new one out the morn. I know Mickdundee has mentioned the Canadian Teuchter Punks before. Never got their last one. Westwinds was the last I had.

The Real Mckenzies have a new one out the morn. I know Mickdundee has mentioned the Canadian Teuchter Punks before. Never got their last one. Westwinds was the last I had.
It came out a fortnight ago (digitally anyway). I love it. Still not completely keen on the title track, but otherwise it’s cracking. “Overtoun Bridge”, “Nary Do Good”, and “Death of the Winnipeg Scene” are my highlights.

When you Say you “never got their last one” do you mean you never bought/heard it or that you didn’t like it? If it’s the former you’re missing out because it’s probably my favourite of theirs - that line up is the strongest they’ve had IMO, it’s a shame 3 of them left to form The Corps.

The Devil with Two Heads just haven't got round to buying it.

Think the last one I got was Rats in the Burlap. I prefer the physical copy to the download so I might treat myself. Seen them live a few times always a good night oot.

The Devil with Two Heads just haven't got round to buying it.

Think the last one I got was Rats in the Burlap. I prefer the physical copy to the download so I might treat myself. Seen them live a few times always a good night oot.
I saw them in Dundee in 2017 and they were superb. I met Paul McKenzie beforehand as well (he was just randomly walking around the venue chatting to fans - he approached me because of my Descendents T-shirt).

It was a bit of a shame though because it hadn’t sold particularly well - it was a Thursday night and they were playing Edinburgh on the Friday and Glasgow on the Saturday. Both the other gigs sold out so I think the Fifers and the Perthers decided they’d rather travel a bit further for a weekend gig.

I saw them in Dundee in 2017 and they were superb. I met Paul McKenzie beforehand as well (he was just randomly walking around the venue chatting to fans - he approached me because of my Descendents T-shirt).

It was a bit of a shame though because it hadn’t sold particularly well - it was a Thursday night and they were playing Edinburgh on the Friday and Glasgow on the Saturday. Both the other gigs sold out so I think the Fifers and the Perthers decided they’d rather travel a bit further for a weekend gig.

Seen them 3 or 4 times. Usually get about 200 odd. Must've been 2013 I last saw them. Noticed they missed Fife out last time which is strange probably could not get a venue. Aye the singers a good lad spoke to him a few times.

By fck you get some right auld punks though at their gigs must be kicking 70 some of em even still with mohawks.

Bandcamp now says Sept 25 for Surfer Blood (Due to “unforeseen circumstances.” If I recall, it was originally supposed to be first week of May, so not sure what’s going on there)

Their last album was pretty mediocre, and Gavin hasn’t exactly earned cool points by appearing on X Factor or whatever it was, so I’m not holding out much hope for this, but there’s a new Bush album out today
EDIT - that should be the last 3 albums were mediocre - I had forgotten about the other 2 post-reform albums!

Last edited:
Apart from the obvious (Ellie G, Go4, Pretenders, Chicks), erm, who? Giz a clue. Bing and Ruth? Crosby and Bader-Ginsburg?

Bandcamp now says Sept 25 for Surfer Blood (Due to “unforeseen circumstances.” If I recall, it was originally supposed to be first week of May, so not sure what’s going on there)

Ah, Amazon are giving the same date.
Apart from the obvious (Ellie G, Go4, Pretenders, Chicks), erm, who? Giz a clue. Bing and Ruth? Crosby and Bader-Ginsburg?

Bing & Ruth are a New York based minimalist/ambient group. None of them are called Bing or Ruth, seemingly. OF the rest:

Protomartyr are, I guess classified as post-punk/indie rock. The singer has a very distinctive voice. They're quite well liked by people on this thread.
Samantha Crain is a folky/indie singer-songwriter. Pretty good.
JARV IS... is Jarvis Cocker's new band.
Crack Cloud are a Canadian collective of, mostly, reformed addicts, seemingly. What I've listened to has been angry post-punk.
Kutiman is an Israeli eccentric who explores world music/rhythms. I believe this album is very Africa based.
The Bobby Lees are punky garage rock
David Ramirez is an Americana singer-songwriter

I think that's most covered.

Last edited:
Bing & Ruth are a New York based minimalist/ambient group. None of them are called Bing or Ruth, seemingly. OF the rest:

Protomartyr are, I guess classified as post-punk/indie rock. The singer has a very distinctive voice. They're quite well liked by people on this thread.
Samantha Crain is a folky/indie singer-songwriter. Pretty good.
JARV IS... is Jarvis Cocker's new band.
Crack Cloud are a Canadian collective of, mostly, reformed addicts, seemingly. What I've listened to has been angry post-punk.
Kutiman is an Israeli eccentric who explores world music/rhythms. I believe this album is very Africa based.
The Bobby Lees are punky garage rock
David Ramirez is an Americana singer-songwriter

I think that's most covered.
I just couldn’t get into Samantha Crain’s last album so think I’ll give this one a miss.

The Bobby Lees sounds like they might be my kind of thing so I’ll give them a go. Also JARV IS and Protomartyr.

Back