New Music Releases Thread

Ah, Amazon are giving the same date.

Bing & Ruth are a New York based minimalist/ambient group. None of them are called Bing or Ruth, seemingly. OF the rest:

Protomartyr are, I guess classified as post-punk/indie rock. The singer has a very distinctive voice. They're quite well liked by people on this thread.
Samantha Crain is a folky/indie singer-songwriter. Pretty good.
JARV IS... is Jarvis Cocker's new band.
Crack Cloud are a Canadian collective of, mostly, reformed addicts, seemingly. What I've listened to has been angry post-punk.
Kutiman is an Israeli eccentric who explores world music/rhythms. I believe this album is very Africa based.
The Bobby Lees are punky garage rock
David Ramirez is an Americana singer-songwriter

I think that's most covered.
Cheers fella. From that lot then I'll probably give Protomartyr, Kutiman and David Ramirez a spin.

Busy day. From the above, I liked Protomartyr and really liked Vacant Lots, which I guess came out over here today. Stuck with Crack Cloud for 3-4 songs but didn't enjoy.

Other new stuff from today that I enjoyed:

SPICE - SPICE (I guess it's all caps, including the song titles, on Spotify). West Coast indie band, garage band, punk band with faint violin...not sure what they are, but I liked this album - 30 mins, good pop melodies, almost hidden by the noise
Dehd - Flower of Devotion. Female and male vocal shoegaze. Again, good melodies. Not sure who this is like. Veronica Falls...in places? But very much not in other places. Really like this as well. Occasionally yodel-y but I'll turn a blind eye for the whole
No Age - Goons Be Gone. A bit 70s NYC - Velvets? NY Dolls? Good stuff.
Polly Scattergood - In This Moment. Female singer-songwriter. Varied, pretty. Often synth driven. Sometimes epic and swirling (the first track is 7 mins), sometimes short and quiet.
Zombi - 2020. Instrumental synth metal (if that's a genre) - my usual measure of being excellent for editing. I know that only applies to me, but like Mogwai, Ministry, etc the wall of sound is great for blocking it all out while not getting sidetracked by interesting lyrics

Busy day. From the above, I liked Protomartyr and really liked Vacant Lots, which I guess came out over here today. Stuck with Crack Cloud for 3-4 songs but didn't enjoy.

SPICE - SPICE (I guess it's all caps, including the song titles, on Spotify). West Coast indie band, garage band, punk band with faint violin...not sure what they are, but I liked this album - 30 mins, good pop melodies, almost hidden by the noise
Dehd - Flower of Devotion. Female and male vocal shoegaze. Again, good melodies. Not sure who this is like. Veronica Falls...in places? But very much not in other places. Really like this as well. Occasionally yodel-y but I'll turn a blind eye for the whole
Polly Scattergood - In This Moment. Female singer-songwriter. Varied, pretty. Often synth driven. Sometimes epic and swirling (the first track is 7 mins), sometimes short and quiet.
Zombi - 2020. Instrumental synth metal (if that's a genre) - my usual measure of being excellent for editing. I know that only applies to me, but like Mogwai, Ministry, etc the wall of sound is great for blocking it all out while not getting sidetracked by interesting lyrics

cheers, listening to No Age now and very much up my street.

I did mention No Age. a few weeks back. They're very good. Earlier albums tended to have the sound but not the songs but the last couple of albums have had some very good songs as well.

Think I last hears Polly Scattergood in 2009/2010 when she released her debut.

An excellent week of releases

Protomartyr - very good, albeit hasn’t gripped me like Relatives in Descent yet
Crack Cloud - surprising, very different to their earlier stuff. But better. Not sure why people think it’s their debut however.
JARV IS - ruddy brilliant
Silverbacks - it’s probably not one I will go back to very often, but enjoyable debut
Polly Scattergood - a new name to me, but this is excellent

From the Tweedy book I discovered Truman’s Water. Only listened to bits so far, but they sound quality. Anyone know anything?

Following on with the first half of my listening...

SPICE - excellent! Remind me of Japandroids with added violin.
Gang of Four - a fitting epitaph, kind of. Not sure it's their finest work but it's pretty good.
Crack Cloud - far more nuanced than their earlier releases. They remind me of Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene and Wolf Parade, because I like a lazy Canadian comparison. TBH, I'm not a fan of the forced vocals but musically and lyrically I like this album a lot.
David Ramirez - a proper grower, in that the album gets better as it goes on. Great songs, slightly MOR style, ultimately lovely.
The Bobby Lees - well, this is a proper humdinger of an album. Garage rock, vocals that seem to be male but could be female, very brisk. Some sort of bunny!
Protmartyr - they've got that weird thing going on by which their changes toward sophistication mean that the immediacy is lost, like when Liverpool decided to teach Robbie Fowler how to pass. Still a cracking album!
Samantha Crain - really, really, really good. Album of the year contender good TBH. She's taken things beyond the next level.
JARV IS... - as @chunkylover53 ruddy brilliant. Immediately casts doubt on my opinion that Samantha Crain's album might be album of the year.
Kutiman - total pedigree bunny. So bunny that it's in line to win rabbit Crufts. African vocal samples/chants with interesting things accompanying. It may cast doubt upon my opinion that the JARV IS... album might be album of the year. (Must I evolve? is still song of the year)

I’ve been a busy boy since Friday:
The Allergies - Apart from the track with the Cuban Brothers which makes me think of a novelty pop track (tried to be like Ugly Duckling’s Rio De Janeiro and turned out more like The Macarena) I’m enjoying this a lot. It’s a genre (Funk) I don’t know much about apart from these guys and the odd hip hop groups that use the same type of samples. I should probably delve a bit deeper.

JARV IS - I’m not as in love with it as the rest of the board but I’ve only given it 2 listens. Very good though and I’ll definitely be coming back to it through the week

Bush - A proper return to form a their best album in 20 years IMO.

The Bobby Lees - album of the week for me. Excellent garage punk. Reminds me of a modern The Cramps.

Last edited:
Jarvis didn't immediately grab me on first listen. Canny though, looking forward to listening again.

Protomartyr is excellent. Can't help but hear The National in parts of this record though. :lol: June 21 could be a National demo, with added guitars.

Back