New Music Releases Thread

Have just given it and go and very much enjoyed. You might have to skip track six though which is outright bad. :lol:

Thinking about doing the monthly SMB playlists again as well. A track from every record mentioned across the month. Since the music is drying up a bit there might not be too much to add going forward, but I might go back and do the earlier months this year.

A month late mate but enjoying Choir Boy. As you say 80s synth pop but I get Wild Beasts feel in some places, Ariel Pink in others. I even don’t mind track 6! :lol:

A month late mate but enjoying Choir Boy. As you say 80s synth pop but I get Wild Beasts feel in some places, Ariel Pink in others. I even don’t mind track 6! :lol:

Yeah there's a track on there that the vocals reminded me massively of Wild Beasts. Have a listen to his side project Human Leather, really good record.

Sonic Boom is disappointing.

I put it on this morning and saw it’s 1 hour 37 minutes long yet over an hours worth of it is just drone noise. Very little melody or vocal on the full album.
I’m a big fan of spacemen 3 etc and whilst I expected some mind bending stuff this is just too much.

Yeah. The singles remind of some of the semi-successful mid-00s guitar bands (The Rakes, Maximo Park) with a slightly foppish Jarvis Cocker/Bernard Black vibe.
Bought the physical copy on preorder yesterday but will definitely stream today - looking forward. The vocal really reminds me of someone else I think I own but I can't quite place it.

Shopping have a 4-track live radio session EP out on Bandcamp today

Sonic Boom is disappointing.

I put it on this morning and saw it’s 1 hour 37 minutes long yet over an hours worth of it is just drone noise. Very little melody or vocal on the full album.
I’m a big fan of spacemen 3 etc and whilst I expected some mind bending stuff this is just too much.
I've quite liked the songs he's previewed but I'm not expecting anything revolutionary. Waiting for my copy to arrive. This kind of music isn't something I can listen to anytime and I find I don't play Spacemen 3 much at all in recent years. Would rather hear a better recorded Spiritualized album.

There's what seems to be a very pretty debut album, Failures, by Katie Malco out today. I'm 3 tracks in and enjoy the sound a great deal - not heard of her before today but she's toured with a lot of my leanings (Julien Baker, Bob Mould, Jetpacks, Kevin Devine, Jenny Lewis, Joy Formidable). It's early but I think I'm going to like it a lot.

There's what seems to be a very pretty debut album, Failures, by Katie Malco out today. I'm 3 tracks in and enjoy the sound a great deal - not heard of her before today but she's toured with a lot of my leanings (Julien Baker, Bob Mould, Jetpacks, Kevin Devine, Jenny Lewis, Joy Formidable). It's early but I think I'm going to like it a lot.
I only have Sports Team (which I’m enjoying a lot after 2 listens) on my list for today so will give this a go too.

Apple Music has a 2013 release there too, is this definitely her debut?

Last edited:
I only have Sports Team (which I’m enjoying a lot after 2 listens) on my list for today so will give this a go too.

Apple Music has a 2013 release there too, is this definitely her debut?
You're absolutely right. I got the tip from an email of new releases - it'll teach me to go by preview view without doing the full read "On Failures, her first full-length release..." (click to read more - "...in almost 7 years")
You're absolutely right. I got the tip from an email of new releases - it'll teach me to go by preview view without doing the full read "On Failures, her first full-length release..." (click to read more - "...in almost 7 years")
Mind, the link then says her first "proper" full length, so it could be her first US release (US Spotify has this as the only album but has an EP, Tearing Ventricles, from 2013)

Last edited:

Back