New Music Releases Thread

My midweek report on stuff I've been listening to that's newish (part 2 will come):

Run The Jewels - bloody excellent and very addictive! I've commented previously.
Aksak Maboul - Belgian experimental rock band who've been going for 43 years but only made 5 albums. This is a double album. The first half is French language lounge jazz and sounds pretty nice. The second half combines that with some out there weirdness and is blimmin marvelous.
Katie Malco - recommended by @Crayola-Kid. I like this a lot. Sort of 90s indie rock vibe to it, a bit Juliana Hatfield.
Nation Of Language - I'd classify this more as synthpop than dream pop. It's pretty good anyway without being a masterpiece.
Erland Cooper - I like Erland Cooper. He makes weirdly interesting albums about Orkney. This is nice if slightly obtuse.
Westerman - a very accomplished album from the man who seems to be being touted as the UK's answer to Bon Iver/Perfume Genius. I need to listen more to decide how much I like it.
Ohmme - utter, utter genius! Sort of psych-rock but not as there's certainly a pop twist. Should be massive, won't be. One of the albums of the year.
Modern Nature - I missed this in my new release list. It's a mini album (about 20 mins long, 7 tracks but two are very short). They've developed a quite laid back jazz style whilst also being a bit folk and a bit indie-rock. Becoming one of the UK's finer bands with every release.
Sports Team - really enjoyable. They're literate, energetic and witty and they have some very flouncy hair. Seem likely to be quite big.
Tenci - I like this a lot. They sound like Big Thief at their most tender, only with a female version of Vic Reeves' pub singer up front. That's meant to be a positive thing.

More to come as I listen to them.

My midweek report on stuff I've been listening to that's newish (part 2 will come):

Run The Jewels - bloody excellent and very addictive! I've commented previously.
Aksak Maboul - Belgian experimental rock band who've been going for 43 years but only made 5 albums. This is a double album. The first half is French language lounge jazz and sounds pretty nice. The second half combines that with some out there weirdness and is blimmin marvelous.
Katie Malco - recommended by @Crayola-Kid. I like this a lot. Sort of 90s indie rock vibe to it, a bit Juliana Hatfield.
Nation Of Language - I'd classify this more as synthpop than dream pop. It's pretty good anyway without being a masterpiece.
Erland Cooper - I like Erland Cooper. He makes weirdly interesting albums about Orkney. This is nice if slightly obtuse.
Westerman - a very accomplished album from the man who seems to be being touted as the UK's answer to Bon Iver/Perfume Genius. I need to listen more to decide how much I like it.
Ohmme - utter, utter genius! Sort of psych-rock but not as there's certainly a pop twist. Should be massive, won't be. One of the albums of the year.
Modern Nature - I missed this in my new release list. It's a mini album (about 20 mins long, 7 tracks but two are very short). They've developed a quite laid back jazz style whilst also being a bit folk and a bit indie-rock. Becoming one of the UK's finer bands with every release.
Sports Team - really enjoyable. They're literate, energetic and witty and they have some very flouncy hair. Seem likely to be quite big.
Tenci - I like this a lot. They sound like Big Thief at their most tender, only with a female version of Vic Reeves' pub singer up front. That's meant to be a positive thing.

More to come as I listen to them.
You will probably like Camille Delean

I enjoyed Momma and Doomshakalaka

Did you try JS Orlanda?

Not as yet...
Second part of my weekly review of the week, which is done weekly:

No Age - the album is out. They've become a very good art rock band over the years. Enjoyable!
LA Priest - a pretty enjoyable album of danceable wonky pop.
Muzz - it's good, kind of stately indie rock. Sort of what I expected.
Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever - it's good, in fact, very good but not quite as good as the debut or earlier EPs.
Brigid Mae Power - ethereal folk, which dips into Kate Bush territory at times. The second to last track, "The Blacksmith", is as good a song as any I've heard this year.
Sonic Boom - the good bits are brilliant but, as others have said, there's a bit too many droney tracks that go on too long and aren't that interesting. There's probably a stunning 50 minute album in its 98 minutes or so.
Thee MVPs - enjoyably noisy garage rock from London. Nothing world changing but a very enjoyable album.
Christian Lee Hutson - gentle indie folk. He's got a great voice. Reminds me of Ohtis, which is a good thing!
Mark Olson & Ingunn Ringvold - the ex-Jayhawk's third album with his wife. More gentle indie-folk, exceptionally good.
Hinds - they seem to have snuck their third album out without me noticing. A bit less garagey rock than before but still fun, fun, fun!
Jo Harrop & Jamie McCredie - not something I'd usually listen to but very good. Sort of jazzy vocal thing with just a guitar and vocals. Nice!

Anyway, under strong competition, I'm going to say that Ohmme's album is my album of the week.

Last edited:
Not as yet...
Second part of my weekly review of the week, which is done weekly:

No Age - the album is out. They've become a very good art rock band over the years. Enjoyable!
LA Priest - a pretty enjoyable album of danceable wonky pop.
Muzz - it's good, kind of stately indie rock. Sort of what I expected.
Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever - it's good, in fact, very good but not quite as good as the debut or earlier EPs.
Brigid Mae Power - ethereal folk, which dips into Kate Bush territory at times. The second to last track, "The Blacksmith", is as good a song as any I've heard this year.
Sonic Boom - the good bits are brilliant but, as others have said, there's a bit too many droney tracks that go on too long and aren't that interesting. There's probably a stunning 50 minute album in its 98 minutes or so.
Thee MVPs - enjoyably noisy garage rock from London. Nothing world changing but a very enjoyable album.
Christian Lee Hutson - gentle indie folk. He's got a great voice. Reminds me of Ohtis, which is a good thing!
Mark Olson & Ingunn Ringvold - the ex-Jayhawk's third album with his wife. More gentle indie-folk, exceptionally good.
Hinds - they seem to have snuck their third album out without me noticing. A bit less garagey rock than before but still fun, fun, fun!
Jo Harrop & Jamie McCredie - not something I'd usually listen to but very good. Sort of jazzy vocal thing with just a guitar and vocals. Nice!

Anyway, under strong competition, I'm going to say that Ohmme's album is my album of the week.
Didn’t realise the new Hinds album was out.

Ha! ha! Just seen that there was issue with the Sonic Boom album with tracks playing at the wrong speed.. John Peel style! It's fixed on Spotify and the album is now down to a more appertising 56 minutes. My pre-ordered CD hasn't been dispatched yet, so I wonder if it had the same issue and they're having to re-press them. Go listen again..

Last edited:
Ha! ha! Just seen that there was issue with the Sonic Boom album with tracks playing at the wrong speed.. John Peel style! It's fixed on Spotify and the album is now down to a more appertising 56 minutes. My pre-ordered CD hasn't been dispatched yet, so I wonder if it had the same issue and they're having to re-press them. Go listen again..

You're right. I Feel A Change Coming On Has Dropped From 18 minutes to about 8. I will listen again. In theory, at 98 minutes, the wrong speed version shouldn't fit on a single CD so I'd guess this is the digital release only with the problem.

You're right. I Feel A Change Coming On Has Dropped From 18 minutes to about 8. I will listen again. In theory, at 98 minutes, the wrong speed version shouldn't fit on a single CD so I'd guess this is the digital release only with the problem.
You're privileged to have heard the slow version. Make me think how many reviews have been written hearing the wrong version. 42 minutes quicker is quite a difference!

You're privileged to have heard the slow version. Make me think how many reviews have been written hearing the wrong version. 42 minutes quicker is quite a difference!

By my reckoning, 5 or 6 tracks have been affected. If you were to get a mispressed CD, keep it, as it might well become a collectors' item. I took a vinyl mispress of Slowdive's debut back to Volume and got a refund (side 1 was fine, side 2 was all over the shop) and probably should have kept it, given that they've become much bigger in their second incarnation.

Much more jangly and catchy than I expected. That would usually be a sure-fire great thing for me, but I'm not positive in this case, as I liked their previous style. I like it but I think I prefer prior RBCF more (on first listen - that could very well change as it sounds grower-y)

holy shit I never knew this !!

I listened to it morning it come out and just thought ‘what the fuck’ 1 hour 38 minutes of drone
I was quite critical on here about it, gutted as it was one of my real look forward to records.
Going back in now

made my night that

holy shit I never knew this !!

I listened to it morning it come out and just thought ‘what the fuck’ 1 hour 38 minutes of drone
I was quite critical on here about it, gutted as it was one of my real look forward to records.
Going back in now

made my night that
Hope it's better this time round for you. I was waiting for mine to arrive in the post, but I lost patience and just streamed it. Agree with Arkle the 54 minute version is very good and (I think) more accessible than anything he's previously put out.

Sonic Boom is disappointing.

I put it on this morning and saw it’s 1 hour 37 minutes long yet over an hours worth of it is just drone noise. Very little melody or vocal on the full album.
I’m a big fan of spacemen 3 etc and whilst I expected some mind bending stuff this is just too much.
This week I discovered 'Pole' aka Stefan Betke. albums 1,2 & 3. Re-released from 1998. Quite good and might be up your street. Other stuff/artists I've enjoyed recently - new stuff or not - includes Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, Riley Pearce, Siti Muharam, Robert Jon and the Wreck, Scotty Bratcher, Sei Still, Nation of Language and Luke Schneider.

This week I discovered 'Pole' aka Stefan Betke. albums 1,2 & 3. Re-released from 1998. Quite good and might be up your street. Other stuff/artists I've enjoyed recently - new stuff or not - includes Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, Riley Pearce, Siti Muharam, Robert Jon and the Wreck, Scotty Bratcher, Sei Still, Nation of Language and Luke Schneider.

thanks mate, appreciate the recommendations. Working from home I’m listening to loads so will check out today.

Sei Still and Nation of language I’ve enjoyed also.

There's three or four names there for me to check out, as well as a few I'm familiar with. The Pole albums are pretty good and have stood the test of time well.
Another Thursday means tomorrow is Friday when there are new releases from Boney James, Built to Spill (Daniel Johnston covers), Jehnny Beth, Larkin Poe, Norah Jones, Pop Smoke (a posthunous release), Steven Wilson, Coriky, Wargirl, Noveller, GoGo Penguin and Drab City.

Last edited:

Back