New Music Releases Thread

What an album. Saw them upstairs at Digital on that run of shows (maybe their first and last??) and they were just brilliant.

Ellery’s project with his mrs (LUH) was alright too. Don’t think it performed all that well though and they were pretty bad live...

Aye I couldn't get away with the LUH record, I thought the Francis Lung one was a dud as well actually. I didn't get a chance to see WU LYF, it's probably my only musical regret thinking about that thread.

I will listen to those bands you mentioned in an earlier post as well re: Crack Cloud. Cheers!

I don’t contribute to this thread very often but read it all the time. It makes me aware of bands/artists I would never have heard of. I try to listen to a couple of new ones each week based on people’s comments and descriptions.
Anyway, just popped to say ‘Mystic Familiar’ by Dan Deacon is superb. I’m a big fan of ‘Stray’ by BAMBARA. ‘Football Money’ by Kiwi jr is very good, too.
I know this one is 2019 but just discovered Purple Mountains self-titled album the other day which is brilliant and tragic in equal measure, given what happened only months (?) later.
All albums above are from artists/bands I’ve never heard of so cheers to all the regulars.

I don’t contribute to this thread very often but read it all the time. It makes me aware of bands/artists I would never have heard of. I try to listen to a couple of new ones each week based on people’s comments and descriptions.
Anyway, just popped to say ‘Mystic Familiar’ by Dan Deacon is superb. I’m a big fan of ‘Stray’ by BAMBARA. ‘Football Money’ by Kiwi jr is very good, too.
I know this one is 2019 but just discovered Purple Mountains self-titled album the other day which is brilliant and tragic in equal measure, given what happened only months (?) later.
All albums above are from artists/bands I’ve never heard of so cheers to all the regulars.

Should check in more regularly mate as your tastes are certainly well catered for here!

That Purple Mountains record was brilliant. If you haven't already, go back and listen to Silver Jews. Maybe start with American Water. What a band.

Should check in more regularly mate as your tastes are certainly well catered for here!

That Purple Mountains record was brilliant. If you haven't already, go back and listen to Silver Jews. Maybe start with American Water. What a band.
I’ve always been aware of the name but never listened to them. I will now having listened to Purple Mountains.

Enjoying Grimes, Pictish Trail, Greg Dulli and Lanterns On The Lake a lot but the new albums I've listened to this week that I've enjoyed most are from Douglas Dare and Humanist. Douglas Dare reminds me a lot of Perfume Genius, quite gentle songs, very moving, excellent voice. Humanist is the solo project of Rob Marshall, who for the last few years has been Mark Lanegan's guitarist and co-writer. He doesn't sing so the album is quite guest vocalist laden (Lanegan, Dave Gahan, Mark Gardner amongst them). Reminds me of a rockier Soulsavers.

Will post more about other stuff if/when I have time.

Right, a fuller view of new and newish stuff this week:

Beach Bunny - came out a couple of weeks back. Pleasantly, bouncy indie-punk-pop. Nowt to change your life but fun.
Lee Ranaldo & Raul Refree - quite low key, mixes spoken word and vocals. Moderately intriguing.
Pictish Trail - very good. A bit less dancey and a bit more Steve Masony than his recent albums.
Six Organs Of Admittance - mildly diverting psych rock/folk. May be a grower?
Lanterns on the Lake - very good indeed. They've established their sound and the songs are getting better.
Greg Dulli - could easily be a latter day Afghan Whigs album, unsurprisingly. Seems like the rest of the band have other things going on...
Courtney Barnett - good but haerdly essential. You get acoustic versions of some of her songs, a couple of guest stars and a couple of nice covers.
Douglas Dare - as mentioned a couple of posts up, chuffing excellent.
The Hanging Stars - well made country flecked indie stuff. An album that you'll quite like but won't love.
Humanist - see a couple of posts up. Exceptional!
DJ Diaki - percussive Malian electronic party music. High BPM. A lot to take in!
Spinning Coin - a melting pot of Scottish 80s indie band influences, lots of Orange Juice especially. Worth a listen.
Best Coast - Aside from the fact it came out this week, you could probably take what I said about the Beach Bunny album and apply it to this.
Grimes - very good. A tad less poppy tjan her previous album and better for it.
King Krule - something of a mis-step after The Ooze, which was very good. Lacks hooks and structure.
Rebecca Foon - a bit post-rock, a bit neo-classical, a bit Cocteaus, a bit extended goth. She's a cellist who plays with A Sliver Mt Zion. It's a very good album.
Califone - art house Americana. Written to accompany a dance piece by a friend of the band. Has some excellent moments.
Guided By Voices - a quintessential GBV album. The best songs are wonderful but don't last long enough, the lesser songs last about 4 minutes.

Right, a fuller view of new and newish stuff this week:

Beach Bunny - came out a couple of weeks back. Pleasantly, bouncy indie-punk-pop. Nowt to change your life but fun.
Lee Ranaldo & Raul Refree - quite low key, mixes spoken word and vocals. Moderately intriguing.
Pictish Trail - very good. A bit less dancey and a bit more Steve Masony than his recent albums.
Six Organs Of Admittance - mildly diverting psych rock/folk. May be a grower?
Lanterns on the Lake - very good indeed. They've established their sound and the songs are getting better.
Greg Dulli - could easily be a latter day Afghan Whigs album, unsurprisingly. Seems like the rest of the band have other things going on...
Courtney Barnett - good but haerdly essential. You get acoustic versions of some of her songs, a couple of guest stars and a couple of nice covers.
Douglas Dare - as mentioned a couple of posts up, chuffing excellent.
The Hanging Stars - well made country flecked indie stuff. An album that you'll quite like but won't love.
Humanist - see a couple of posts up. Exceptional!
DJ Diaki - percussive Malian electronic party music. High BPM. A lot to take in!
Spinning Coin - a melting pot of Scottish 80s indie band influences, lots of Orange Juice especially. Worth a listen.
Best Coast - Aside from the fact it came out this week, you could probably take what I said about the Beach Bunny album and apply it to this.
Grimes - very good. A tad less poppy tjan her previous album and better for it.
King Krule - something of a mis-step after The Ooze, which was very good. Lacks hooks and structure.
Rebecca Foon - a bit post-rock, a bit neo-classical, a bit Cocteaus, a bit extended goth. She's a cellist who plays with A Sliver Mt Zion. It's a very good album.
Califone - art house Americana. Written to accompany a dance piece by a friend of the band. Has some excellent moments.
Guided By Voices - a quintessential GBV album. The best songs are wonderful but don't last long enough, the lesser songs last about 4 minutes.

for anybody into Lanterns on the lake. They’re doing a free gig at Reflex records in Newcastle this Thursday.

Saw Fontaines DC in a way too overcrowded Brixton Academy last night. Not their finest show but fuck me, they’ve got some career ahead. Will comfortably overtake Idles on album 2.

Saw Fontaines DC in a way too overcrowded Brixton Academy last night. Not their finest show but fuck me, they’ve got some career ahead. Will comfortably overtake Idles on album 2.
Saw them in Newcastle last month and it was heaving. They played a good set. Looking forward to the next album. From what I’ve read, it could be another good one.

Found that record fairly disposable. Thought it was okay but haven't gone back to it since it came out.

Kind of blown away by how much they've exploded. Did they get hyped up by the NME or end up on tele or something? Can't work it out!

Back