New Music Releases Thread

Quite a few releases tomorrow. Albums from Best Coast, BTS, Califone, Greg Dulli, Grimes, Guided By Voices, Humanist, Lanterns On The Lake, Lee Ranaldo & Raul Refree, Mondo Generator, Moses Sumney, Ozzy Osbourne, Pat Metheny, Purr, Sarah Harmer, Spinning Coin, King Krule, Rebecca Foon, Jan St Werner, Pictish Trail, Six Organs Of Admittance, Sonny Landreth, The Hanging Stars, Douglas Dare, the C90 compilation and Courtney Barnett (MTV Unplugged).

Quite a few releases tomorrow. Albums from Best Coast, BTS, Califone, Greg Dulli, Grimes, Guided By Voices, Humanist, Lanterns On The Lake, Lee Ranaldo & Raul Refree, Mondo Generator, Moses Sumney, Ozzy Osbourne, Pat Metheny, Purr, Sarah Harmer, Spinning Coin, King Krule, Rebecca Foon, Jan St Werner, Pictish Trail, Six Organs Of Admittance, Sonny Landreth, The Hanging Stars, Douglas Dare, the C90 compilation and Courtney Barnett (MTV Unplugged).
Probably Ozzy for old times sake (not expecting much), Mondo Generator and GBV for me. Maybe Sarah Harmer and Pictish Trail if I have time

Lee Ranaldo, Lanterns, Greg Dulli, Best Coast, Guided by Voices, Spinning Coin stand out

will also listen to King Krule, Pictish Trail and Courtney if i find the time

Damn you Ozzy and Pat Metheny. Almost had a full 'Who?' bingo card.....Need some proper guitar based rawk atm....recommend any of ^^ ?

Damn you Ozzy and Pat Metheny. Almost had a full 'Who?' bingo card.....Need some proper guitar based rawk atm....recommend any of ^^ ?
The new Supersuckers is a cracker. Nothing groundbreaking, and not as good as the last one but a good old fashioned guitar rock album.

Of tomorrow’s releases Mondo Generator might appeal? It started as a Nick Olivieri, Brant Bjork and Josh Homme trio and they’ve had a load of big names playing with them but it’s more of a Nick Oliveri solo project these days.
There’s not been a great deal of exciting rock albums so far this year (Anti-Flag is the only other one I’ve listened to much) but I’m looking forward to new albums by The Bombpops (female fronted pop-punk) and Sharp Shock (The Jam and The Smiths influenced American punk - It’s probably a very bad example but their first EP and first album remind me of an edgier version of the Ordinary Boys debut).

Last edited:
Just listened to this - very good!

Mush - lasted 2 and a bit songs. Liked the music but wanted to shoot the singer in the face

I don’t mind catching the odd Mush tune on 6 Music, but couldn’t sit through a full record. Grating.

Strokes at Roundhouse last night... wow. They were actually good. First time in about a decade Julian has sounded arsed.

The new Supersuckers is a cracker. Nothing groundbreaking, and not as good as the last one but a good old fashioned guitar rock album.

Of tomorrow’s releases Mondo Generator might appeal? It started as a Nick Olivieri, Brant Bjork and Josh Homme trio and they’ve had a load of big names playing with them but it’s more of a Nick Oliveri solo project these days.
There’s not been a great deal of exciting rock albums so far this year (Anti-Flag is the only other one I’ve listened to much) but I’m looking forward to new albums by The Bombpops (female fronted pop-punk) and Sharp Shock (The Jam and The Smiths influenced American punk - It’s probably a very bad example but their first EP and first album remind me of an edgier version of the Ordinary Boys debut).
Cheers, I shall check them out.

That's a pretty strong list without anything that looks particularly outstanding. Lanterns on the Lake or Lee Ranaldo maybe.

Looking forward to the Best Coast album. I bet you could make a pretty great Best Coast 'best of' album but I don't think any of their studio albums are actually that good really. There'll inevitably be three or four good songs on this with mediocre stuff throughout the rest I imagine.

These are on at kendal. Love this song. On at independent in Sunderland on Saturday but its sold out before I discovered them.

Technically not new but new to me :lol:

Last edited:

These are on at kendal. Love this song. On at independent in Sunderland on Saturday but its sold out before I discovered them.

Technically not new but new to me :lol:

good to hear it’s sold out. The independent have been struggling to fill the gigs they’ve had on recently by all accounts

That's a pretty strong list without anything that looks particularly outstanding. Lanterns on the Lake or Lee Ranaldo maybe.

Looking forward to the Best Coast album. I bet you could make a pretty great Best Coast 'best of' album but I don't think any of their studio albums are actually that good really. There'll inevitably be three or four good songs on this with mediocre stuff throughout the rest I imagine.

I actually think the album Best Coast made for kids is their best.

As for the rest of the list, I'm hoping the Greg Dulli album is as good as the best Afghan Whigs albums. As @James says, Lanterns on the Lake have been getting great reviews, likewise both King Krule and Pictish Trail.

Back