New Music Releases Thread

Just me that thinks Tame Impala are dull beyond belief? I didn’t mind the last record but this new one is just nothingness.

Increasingly so. They're like an indie rock Shakatak.

It's growing on me. Think it suffered on first listen from being listened to straight after the Waclaw Zimpel album, which is quite "woah, what the hell is this?".

Last edited:
Increasingly so. They're like an indie rock Shakatak.

It's growing on me. Think it suffered on first listen from being listened to straight after the Waclaw Zimpel album, which is quite "woah, what the hell is this?".
I was being facile (for a change) up above, but I do think what you listen to it on will make a difference. Its most obvious touch point is dub, so it does need something which can shift air. You can listen to dub on computer speakers but it kinda misses the point n'est pas?

I was being facile (for a change) up above, but I do think what you listen to it on will make a difference. Its most obvious touch point is dub, so it does need something which can shift air. You can listen to dub on computer speakers but it kinda misses the point n'est pas?

Yeah. I think that would improve it.

Mystery Jets are releasing some outstanding tracks ahead of their new album.
You can't fool me Reptilia.
Just me that thinks Tame Impala are dull beyond belief? I didn’t mind the last record but this new one is just nothingness.
Yes, I think all of their albums have been a bit like that apart from Currents but I listened to that last week and it grated on me. The previous ones have a few decent songs between them but like you said, mainly nothingness.

Last edited:
Wide Awake festival doing cheap group deals three months before the event isn't a great sign, is it.

On the new stuff, finding Tame Impala a bit dull, but think it may be a grower. Tennis is underwhelming after one spin. Andy Shauf is doing nothing for me.

I've been listening to Crack Cloud though and very much enjoying even if I'm about 18 months behind the times.

Wide Awake festival doing cheap group deals three months before the event isn't a great sign, is it.

On the new stuff, finding Tame Impala a bit dull, but think it may be a grower. Tennis is underwhelming after one spin. Andy Shauf is doing nothing for me.

I've been listening to Crack Cloud though and very much enjoying even if I'm about 18 months behind the times.
Strange for Wide Awake as it’s a belting line up

Andy Shauf is a grower for me. It’s one I won’t go back to in a few years time but it’s got some nice tunes

Crack Cloud are fun live. Saw them support Drahla at the Lexington and they’re entertaining!

New stuff for me this week (some mentioned by others previously):

Joe Gideon - his second album minus The Shark. Pretty good, particularly some of the ballads toward the end.
The Men - their usual eclectic mix of psych, indie rock and country. Good but not "Tomorrow's Hits".
Tennis - a bit dull. Smooth, knowing indie pop with a sheen.
Moses Boyd - really enjoyable. My jazz capacity is defintely on the up.
Sign Libra - a weird sort of mix of shoegaze and electronica. Very good!
Eyelids - bit of a US indie rock supergroup (of minor players to some degree). Really good, although not pushing any boundaries.
Tame Impala - talked about a lot already. Quite drab!
Bambara - excellent! My first knowledge of them, although it's their fourth album. Think of bands like Jonathan Fire-Eater, The Murder Capital, rockier Nick Cave...
Mush - very good. Remind me a bit of Parquet Courts
Nyx Nott - as @The Music Man said, Aidan Moffat's strength is in his lyrics. A tad dull.
Alexandra Savior - already mentioned by @chunkylover53 this is very good. Kind of poppy but not.
These New Puritans - impressive and pretty coherent, given it's a compilation of offcuts, alternate versions and remixes.
Nathaniel Rateliff - solo and back to his more laidback countryish vibe. Still got a great voice, pretty good.
The new Uncut cover CD - really good things on it.

Joe Gideon - his second album minus The Shark. Pretty good, particularly some of the ballads toward the end.
The Men - their usual eclectic mix of psych, indie rock and country. Good but not "Tomorrow's Hits".
Eyelids - bit of a US indie rock supergroup (of minor players to some degree). Really good, although not pushing any boundaries.
Bambara - excellent! My first knowledge of them, although it's their fourth album. Think of bands like Jonathan Fire-Eater, The Murder Capital, rockier Nick Cave...
Nyx Nott - as @The Music Man said, Aidan Moffat's strength is in his lyrics. A tad dull.
Alexandra Savior - already mentioned by @chunkylover53 this is very good. Kind of poppy but not.
These New Puritans - impressive and pretty coherent, given it's a compilation of offcuts, alternate versions and remixes.
Nathaniel Rateliff - solo and back to his more laidback countryish vibe. Still got a great voice, pretty good.
Mush are good live and enjoyed the singles. But found it drab. Will try again....

I didn’t actually listen to anything from Friday because nothing appealed, but looking at this list I think I’ll check out The Men and Nathaniel Rateliff - both sound like they’re probably my kind of thing.

will give sign libra a go now

You listened to Pottery, Deeper or Public Practice mate? Think you’ll like them if you’re into Crack Cloud.

Love that Bambara record. And the previous is worth a go if you’re a convert. I think the latest is their fourth or something!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back