New Music Releases Thread

Quite a lot this week, and that’s even with Laura Stevenson being missing from your list (probably because she only announced it this week).

LS, Son Volt, LA Guns, Steve Earle, and Ty Segal (if I have time) for me this week

LS would only register if she was listed on Metacritic or I'd seen a review of the album and put it on my givie it a listen list, really.

LS would only register if she was listed on Metacritic or I'd seen a review of the album and put it on my givie it a listen list, really.
It’s not a criticism, just letting people know it’s out. I’ve not been a massive fan of the singles so hoping the album isn’t a let down

Last releases of March tomorrow. Albums from Ben Platt, Beth Gibbons & the Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra,Billie Ellish, C Duncan, Devin Townsend, Fennesz, Gang of Four, George Strait, Good Cop Bad Cop (Matt Helders and a bloke from Milburn), I Prevail. LA Guns, Lion Babe, Marvin Gaye (a lost album), Mekons, Rita Wilson, Show Me The Body, Son Volt, Steve Earle & the Dukes, Ty Segall (live album),UNKLE, White Denim, Whitechapel, Marry Waterson & Emily Barker, Mdou Moctar, Lawrence Arabia, Mary Lattimore & Matt McCaughan, FACS, Alex Rex, Garcia Peoples and Edwyn Collins.

This one interests me after reading this

Everyone should give the Nilufer Yanya album a blast. Guardian album of the week, Pitchfork Best New Music, 4* Uncut, Q, Mojo, Independent :cool:
Thanks for the heads up here, been listening all day and it’s a great album, couple of good tunes and an excellent over all long player...

If the musical genre 'desert rock' doesn't exist then it's just been invented. Tremendous album

Good stuff! Desert blues exists as a genre (with relation to Malian music), desert rock seems to be a Californian stoner rock subgenre.

Not sure whether you've listened to it but the Kel Assouf album from earlier this year is a gem.

I’ve now listened to Son Volt and Laura Stevenson. On first listen, neither is particularly groundbreaking but both a nice enough listen and probably 7/10s

New UNKLE is very good.

It's long as clocks in well over an hour but it fits with the concept of the album. Theres a couple of bizare covers thrown in ie The First time ever I saw your face and even more bizarrely, commercial club hit Touch me by Rui Da Silva !!

I missed one or two things from my list. Albums by Ohtis, Billie Eilish and The Matthew Herbert Big Brexit Band plus a trio of interesting compilations - "Losing Touch With my Mind: Psychedelia in Britain", which seems to cover the same time preiod as the C86/C87/C88/C89 albums but concentrates and psychedelia, not indie-janglism, Floating Points' Late Night Tales comp and "Bob Stanley & Pete Wiggs Present: Three Day Week ~ When The Lights Went Out 1972-1975", another of their gems from the 60s/70s things (70s in this case).

Good stuff! Desert blues exists as a genre (with relation to Malian music), desert rock seems to be a Californian stoner rock subgenre.

Not sure whether you've listened to it but the Kel Assouf album from earlier this year is a gem.

Will give that a spin, cheers.

Edit: D'oh. dickhead - downloaded and listened a couple weeks ago (Black Tenere) -as you say, excellent album

Last edited:
I missed one or two things from my list. Albums by Ohtis, Billie Eilish and The Matthew Herbert Big Brexit Band plus a trio of interesting compilations - "Losing Touch With my Mind: Psychedelia in Britain", which seems to cover the same time preiod as the C86/C87/C88/C89 albums but concentrates and psychedelia, not indie-janglism, Floating Points' Late Night Tales comp and "Bob Stanley & Pete Wiggs Present: Three Day Week ~ When The Lights Went Out 1972-1975", another of their gems from the 60s/70s things (70s in this case).
I actually really the Billie Eilish album a lot. Was listening to it this morning.

Another band that I just recently discovered is Otoboke Beaver. My friends all find them annoyingly noisy, but I absolutely love their stuff. I can't stop listening to their new single "I'm Tired of Your Repeating Story". I don't understand a word of it since all their lyrics are in Japanese but their vibe is right up my alley.

September tour for Wilco, no Dublin date yet, the bastards!

Wilco have announced a UK and European tour for 2019

I've just got tickets for Manchester. Hoping there's not too much of Schmilco and Star Wars as I was pretty underwhelmed by both of them. But regardless, they are just about the best live band around at the minute. Just finished Tweedys book as well, which is excellent.

Got a ticket for London.

Tweedy is brilliant

Absolutely... I may try and get a London ticket although will have to wait a bit. The wife (no) will lose her shit if I spend money on another ticket.

Im listening to Whole Love on vinyl at the minute, it's their last great album for me. Everything up to that was just incredible.

I've read good things about Tweedys latest but haven't heard it yet. Any thoughts?

Absolutely... I may try and get a London ticket although will have to wait a bit. The wife (no) will lose her shit if I spend money on another ticket.

Im listening to Whole Love on vinyl at the minute, it's their last great album for me. Everything up to that was just incredible.

I've read good things about Tweedys latest but haven't heard it yet. Any thoughts?
Oh it’s very good indeed, definitely worth a listen

Saw him headline one night of EOTR last year, just him and a guitar. Absolutely magic

New UNKLE is very good.

It's long as clocks in well over an hour but it fits with the concept of the album. Theres a couple of bizare covers thrown in ie The First time ever I saw your face and even more bizarrely, commercial club hit Touch me by Rui Da Silva !!

Wasn't going to bother with this based on a couple of less than glowing reviews but you turned me. Glad you did as it is rather good. A lot better than I remember part 1 being!

Back