New Music Releases Thread

Got the Jenny Lewis album ready to play, one of the tracks (wasted youth) came up on my release radar list, really good.
The other standout track this week is Overheard by the Leisure Society, this sounds like teenage fanclub when they were good.

New Ibibio Sound Machine is very good on first listen. Really infectious.
Look forward to seeing them at all points east festival.

couple of decent hip hop releases over the last few days:

new Maxo album is absolutely unreal and will be one of the top hip hop albums released this year, reminds me quite a bit of earl sweatshirt, also swarvy produced this one so the beats are absolutely gorgeous.

B.Cool-Aid (Pink Siifu and Awhlee) new EP is another cracker, some lovely soulful beats with Pink Siifu's cool as fuck delivery.

Everyone should give the Nilufer Yanya album a blast. Guardian album of the week, Pitchfork Best New Music, 4* Uncut, Q, Mojo, Independent :cool:

Too early to say how These New Puritans new album 'Inside The Rose' compares to the perfect previous album 'Field Of Reeds', but it's excellent at the very least. Unfortunately no North East date on the tour, but not really surprising as the last one (Hall Two, Sage, 2013) was very poorly attended.

Too early to say how These New Puritans new album 'Inside The Rose' compares to the perfect previous album 'Field Of Reeds', but it's excellent at the very least. Unfortunately no North East date on the tour, but not really surprising as the last one (Hall Two, Sage, 2013) was very poorly attended.

I’ve heard it’s another man away from their last album. Not near yet but interested to see what it’s like

On first listen, I quite like it. Quite low key and a bit softer than 'Field of Reeds'.

@Bukowski is right about Nilufer Yanya, cracking album!

Also on first listen, the new Lambchop album is intriguing. A mile away from where they started out...

I was an avid NME reader in the 90s, but it's decline was very steep. They actually scored TNP as 2/5 but I saw it translated to 4/10 on another site.
I stopped getting it when they went all political and right up their own arses. They turned against Jack white because he wouldn't come out against the Gulf War, he probably was against it but he just didn't think it was relevant.

Playing think tank in Newcastle 6 April. Never heard of her before your post but I really like the album and will Probably go and see her. Cheers

You’re welcome mate. I’m slightly biased but I do think this record is an absolute peach.

On first listen, I quite like it. Quite low key and a bit softer than 'Field of Reeds'.

@Bukowski is right about Nilufer Yanya, cracking album!

Also on first listen, the new Lambchop album is intriguing. A mile away from where they started out...

Worth a dig through her first EPs as well if you haven’t already. ‘Baby Luv’, ‘The Florist’ and ‘Small Crimes’ are cracking tunes that never made the album.

Last edited by a moderator:
Malkmus - grown on me, but still doesn’t sound like Malkmus
Nilufer Yanya - it’s class
Lambchop - it’s pleasant enough, but I’ve got to admit it washed over me. Will try again
Jenny Lewis - haven’t listened to her or Rilo Kiley for years, but she has an ear for a hook. Good album, could be more than good...
Ex Hex - liked the previous stuff, this was a bit crap
Lucy Rose - never got the hype. Beige

Malkmus - grown on me, but still doesn’t sound like Malkmus
Nilufer Yanya - it’s class
Lambchop - it’s pleasant enough, but I’ve got to admit it washed over me. Will try again
Jenny Lewis - haven’t listened to her or Rilo Kiley for years, but she has an ear for a hook. Good album, could be more than good...
Ex Hex - liked the previous stuff, this was a bit crap
Lucy Rose - never got the hype. Beige

I've never rated Lucy Rose (just seems like syrupy MOR dressed as semi-cool to me). Enjoyed the Ex Hex album but it's not as good as Rips, seems quite one paced.

Elsewhere:

Spiral Stairs - enjoyable enough 40 mins or so of, I suppose, alt rock.
Avey Tare - really, really good. This and the recent Panda Bear album are both far better than Animal Collective have released in a good while.
Andrew Bird - sounds a lot like an Andrew Bird album. Worth a listen...
Blick Bassy - I missed this album when it came out a couple of weeks ago. Sounds exceptional on first listen. I'd almost describe it as low key African indie pop.
Bill MacKay - very good. His usual sort of avante folk jams but he sings on about half of the tracks. Moving into Steve Gunn territory.

Still to listen to Jenny Lewis, Strand of Oaks and Ibibio Sound Machine.

Back