New Music Releases Thread

So other than Low Life, who I've mentioned already, this weekend I mostly listened to:

Karen O & Danger Mouse - reasonably impressed with this. Kind of does what it says on the tin, Karen O vocals, clearly a Danger Mouse production.
Howe Gelb - he's continuing his kind of lounge jazz period so a lot of this is just him and piano. I prefer Giant Sand but still enjoyable
The Comet Is Coming - excellent as expected! Jazz/rockfunk/electronica combining well...
Stephen Malkmus - starts out as a weird electronica/post-punk album but mutates into more expected Malkmus territory at the end. Interesting.
The Cinematic Orchestra - I have to admit, I hadn't listened to them much previously and had found what I'd heard a bit bland. This is terrific however. Vaguely reminiscent of Massive Attack, I guess, but less defined by hiphop/triphop and more by jazz and electronica. An album likely to feature high up a lot of end of year best of lists.
The Young'Uns - not new as such but I read about them in an Observer article about the rise in politically driven folk. Their latest album (and show), "The Ballad of Johnny Longstaff" tells the tale of one Johnny Longstaff, who was born on Teesside, and lived a pretty remarkable life. His story, and the album's story here:

A working-class hero: how a scruffy teenager fought fascism

Starting to slowly investigate their back catalogue.

Band called wearemarvin popped up on my Release Radar last week. There's not a lot about them around but they have got an EP out and they sound like early Strokes. Haven't seen them mentioned on this thread.

Listened to new Brian Jonestown massacre today which is exactly what you’d expect !! It’s as good as ever without breaking any new ground.

Album is out this weekend. Gave it a lunchtime listen. Very good, noisy, sweary....
My friends and I were listening to it on our way back from San Diego on Monday and we all really liked it.

So other than Low Life, who I've mentioned already, this weekend I mostly listened to:

Karen O & Danger Mouse - reasonably impressed with this. Kind of does what it says on the tin, Karen O vocals, clearly a Danger Mouse production.
Howe Gelb - he's continuing his kind of lounge jazz period so a lot of this is just him and piano. I prefer Giant Sand but still enjoyable
The Comet Is Coming - excellent as expected! Jazz/rockfunk/electronica combining well...
Stephen Malkmus - starts out as a weird electronica/post-punk album but mutates into more expected Malkmus territory at the end. Interesting.
The Cinematic Orchestra - I have to admit, I hadn't listened to them much previously and had found what I'd heard a bit bland. This is terrific however. Vaguely reminiscent of Massive Attack, I guess, but less defined by hiphop/triphop and more by jazz and electronica. An album likely to feature high up a lot of end of year best of lists.
The Young'Uns - not new as such but I read about them in an Observer article about the rise in politically driven folk. Their latest album (and show), "The Ballad of Johnny Longstaff" tells the tale of one Johnny Longstaff, who was born on Teesside, and lived a pretty remarkable life. His story, and the album's story here:

A working-class hero: how a scruffy teenager fought fascism

Starting to slowly investigate their back catalogue.
I really, really like the Karen O and Danger Mouse album. Goes great with a jazz cig.

If anyone likes a bit of funk or soul in their music then you should try Kyle Dion's debut album. Best thing I've heard so far this year. He wants to be Prince so badly but who doesn't?

sounds interesting... will look for his stuff and give it a listen. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
My friends and I were listening to it on our way back from San Diego on Monday and we all really liked it.

I really, really like the Karen O and Danger Mouse album. Goes great with a jazz cig.

sounds interesting... will look for his stuff and give it a listen. Thanks!

Thanks for the recommendation, love Yeah Yeah Yeahs and partake in the devil’s lettuce often. Fate.

Just back from my honeymoon in Cali myself last week. Could’ve used some more stuff for my flight playlists.

Any good? I've got it lined up as my next listen.

Got Foals on at the minute, hate how the two singles are right at the beginning. :neutral: It still feels like a bit of a let down.
Love Foals but don’t feel too hyped for this album. Felt the singles were meh, hope they’re not burning out. Think they lost their bassist after What Went Down.

Has anyone listened to the new National tune?

Last edited:
Ok, not bought or download a new album in ages, what do you recommend?
Previous liked artists are:
Keiser chiefs
Muse
The Fratellis
Boy kill boy
Pigeon detectives
Typical indie if you like.

Thanks for the recommendation, love Yeah Yeah Yeahs and partake in the devil’s lettuce often. Fate.

Just back from my honeymoon in Cali myself last week. Could’ve used some more stuff for my flight playlists.

Love Foals but don’t feel too hyped for this album. Felt the singles were meh, hope they’re not burning out. Think they lost their bassist after What Went Down.

Has anyone listened to the new National tune?

You've quoted my post from 2013 there! Can't even remember what that Foals record was. :)

You've quoted my post from 2013 there! Can't even remember what that Foals record was. :)
So I have! :lol: Holy Fire? I thought you meant Exits/On The Luna :oops: the only ones from their new album I’ve listened to.

Don’t even know how that showed up as new on the thread!

Last edited:
Seems to be a good week for new releases. There are albums from American Football, Andrew Bird, Apparat, Avey Tare, Ex Hex, Lbibio Sound Machine, Jenny Lewis, La Dispute. Lambchop, Lucy Rose, Marble Arch, Motley Crue, Nilfuer Yanya, Sleeper, Spiral Stairs, Strand of Oaks, Tamaryn, These New Puritans, Wallows and Bill MacKay.

Seems to be a good week for new releases. There are albums from American Football, Andrew Bird, Apparat, Avey Tare, Ex Hex, Lbibio Sound Machine, Jenny Lewis, La Dispute. Lambchop, Lucy Rose, Marble Arch, Motley Crue, Nilfuer Yanya, Sleeper, Spiral Stairs, Strand of Oaks, Tamaryn, These New Puritans, Wallows and Bill MacKay.
Just what the world was crying out for, a new sleeper album!

Back