New Music Releases Thread

Well, Sir Gruff of House Rhys has made an album of the year contender there... quite marvellously marvellous! Best thing he's done outside Super Furries and I'd have Candylion in my top 100 albums of all time, probably.

Well, Sir Gruff of House Rhys has made an album of the year contender there... quite marvellously marvellous! Best thing he's done outside Super Furries and I'd have Candylion in my top 100 albums of all time, probably.
Didn’t love it on first listen but I’m a tough judge

He also hates me from many Glastonbury’s ago where I was incredibly drunk and called him a pompous wanker

Seems like a quieter week for new releases but still some good stuff: Ali Shaheed Muhammed and Adrian Younge, Dave Matthews Band, Gruff Rhys, Jorja Smith, Kids See Ghosts, Lily Allen, Lykke Li, Snail Mail, The Get Up Kids (an EP), Virginia Wing, Erin Rae, Port Sulphur, Kacy Johansing, Howlin Rain and Jon Hassell.
Will likely give Get Up Kids a listen - they're touring but I didn't know there was new stuff imminent.

Was meant to be going to see The Decemberists tonight, looking forward to hearing the new stuff live, but found out last night that they've canceled - poor Colin has a poorly voice and is taking the week off. All shows will be rescheduled....oh, except mine which will be a full refund :evil: - last time I had a ticket to see them was 2007 and they canceled the day of.

There's a pretty good selection of new releases tomorrow. Some I'm particularly looking forward to. New releases come from Nas (no title yet, the latest of the Good Music 7 track albums), 5 Seconds of Summer, Arthur Buck (Joseph Arthur & Peter Buck), Ben Caplan, Buddy Guy, Christina Aguilera, Chromeo, Chuck Auerbach (Dan's dad), Jay Rock, John Parish, Johnny Marr, Leon Vynehall, Melody's Echo Chamber, Mike Shinoda (an EP), Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, SOPHIE, Stuart A Staples, The Beat, Yumi Zouma, Here Lies Man, Olivia Chaney, Wilko Johnson, Andy Jenkins and Ammar 808.

I've probably missed loads there.

There's a pretty good selection of new releases tomorrow. Some I'm particularly looking forward to. New releases come from Nas (no title yet, the latest of the Good Music 7 track albums), 5 Seconds of Summer, Arthur Buck (Joseph Arthur & Peter Buck), Ben Caplan, Buddy Guy, Christina Aguilera, Chromeo, Chuck Auerbach (Dan's dad), Jay Rock, John Parish, Johnny Marr, Leon Vynehall, Melody's Echo Chamber, Mike Shinoda (an EP), Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, SOPHIE, Stuart A Staples, The Beat, Yumi Zouma, Here Lies Man, Olivia Chaney, Wilko Johnson, Andy Jenkins and Ammar 808.

Looking forward to the Rolling Blackouts record, really enjoyed their two EP's

Looking forward to the Rolling Blackouts record, really enjoyed their two EP's

That's the one I'm looking forward to most. On a related note, there's a track by RVG on the cover CD of the new Uncut. They're Aussies as well and have a bit of the sound of The Go Betweens that Rolling Blackouts have. They sound excellent! Album's out in July.

The Mahones new album is meant to be out tomorrow, but Finny only posted on his Social Media last week that he’d finished mixing it, and the band’s FB Page has been pretty quiet about the release over the last week or so. I’m not sure if that means it’s delayed.

Might be one for @Crayola-Kid

Last edited:
The Mahones new album is meant to be out tomorrow, but Finny only posted on his Social Media last week that he’d finished mixing it, and the band’s FB Page has been pretty quiet about the release over the last week or so. I’m not sure if that means it’s delayed.

Might be one for @Crayola-Kid
Thanks, I'll take a listen (when it happens). Flogging Molly and Dropkicks this weekend :D with added bonus that Jake Burns of SLF is apparently opening for them with a handful of solo songs.

No sign of it on the usual streaming sites this morning, and still no mention on the band’s Facebook page although the official website still says 15th June release date. Maybe something will happen when Canada wakes up!

Just a little jealous here. I saw the Dropkicks last year supported by my teenage faves The Living End.
I'm looking forward to seeing the Dropkicks, I have to say. I saw Flogging Molly a couple of years back (at the same venue actually - Stone Pony) with Frank Turner, so I know what they're all about, and I've seen Jake/SLF more times than you can shake a stick at.

Btw, don't think I ever said, but thanks for adding The Real McKenzies to the thread last year - Northwest Passage was one of my favourite and most-played songs of the past year. The missus keeps laughing at me because I have a tendency to burst into the chorus for know particular reason at completely random times! :lol:

Looks like I missed a new Protomartyr EP.
And the first Gin Blossoms album in 8 years - guilty pleasure that I'll definitely be giving a listen to :oops:. Thanks for reminding me of Rolling Blackouts - liked their EPS that were on here a while back.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to seeing the Dropkicks, I have to say. I saw Flogging Molly a couple of years back (at the same venue actually - Stone Pony) with Frank Turner, so I know what they're all about, and I've seen Jake/SLF more times than you can shake a stick at.

Btw, don't think I ever said, but thanks for adding The Real McKenzies to the thread last year - Northwest Passage was one of my favourite and most-played songs of the past year. The missus keeps laughing at me because I have a tendency to burst into the chorus for know particular reason at completely random times! :lol:
I actually rate “Two Devils Will Talk” as the best McKenzies album. The current line up is the most talented there’s been IMO (it’s been Paul McKenzie plus some random others for the life of the band) - Dan Garrison in particular is a very talented musician. It’s “Due West” and “Drunkards Lament” that get the random singing treatment from me.

If you ever get the chance to see them live, do it. I saw them in front of literally 150 people last year in Dundee (right before they sold out Edinburgh and Glasgow gigs) and pre-show Paul McKenzie was wandering the venue randomly chatting to fans. He started a convo with me because of my Descendents Tshirt.

Back