New Music Releases Thread

Seems like a quieter week for new releases but still some good stuff: Ali Shaheed Muhammed and Adrian Younge, Dave Matthews Band, Gruff Rhys, Jorja Smith, Kids See Ghosts, Lily Allen, Lykke Li, Snail Mail, The Get Up Kids (an EP), Virginia Wing, Erin Rae, Port Sulphur, Kacy Johansing, Howlin Rain and Jon Hassell.
Shares my surname, although a slightly different spelling. No idea who he is (other than not being the similarly monickered Libertines bass player / Yeti) but I’m though to listen to him! Also Gruff Rhys and Get Up Kids.

Last edited:
Shares my surname, although a slightly different spelling. No idea who he is but I’m though to listen to him! Also Gruff Rhys and Get Up Kids.

He's an 81 year old minimalist composer. Has worked with Brian Eno, Peter Gabriel, Talking Heads, Ani di Franco, Ry Cooder amogst others.

Gruff Rhys is the big one for me but Howlin Rain, Lykke Li and Erin Rae should all be good. Also, the Kanye and Kid Cudi Kids See Ghosts thing.

New Rainbow Kitten Surprise is excellent

Also, really enjoying the new Father John Misty

Rough Trade's email of new releases came today. It included a whole bunch of stuff I missed. Albums by Get Well Soon, Stanley Brinks, Shannon Shaw (a protege of Dan Auerbach), Boy Azooga (number 1 in their weekly top 20, which suggests good things), Flasher (dreadful name), Echo Ladies and Kadhja Bonet plus an EP by The Comet Is Coming (who are excellent).

Also, in box set city, Cherry Red have released a 5 CD set called "Contract in Blood - A History of UK Thrash Metal", which I'm assuming is mostly medatitive folk ballads, Black Box Recorder's albums plus some unreleased stuff and a live DVD are packaged up as "Life Is Unfair" and Mansun's "Attack of the Grey Lantern" gets the deluxe 4CD or double purple 180g vinyl treatment. Oh and Sleaford Mods' "Bunch of Kunst" film is out as a DVD plus live CD jobbie.

The new Interpol song is really bland. Still one of my favourite bands because of the first two albums but a shame what happened to them after that.

Tonight I have been to see Flat Worms (I love a gig that finishes at a reasonable time, i am old)

Now I love Radiohead, the National, Arcade Fire (live at least, the new stuff is crap) , Parquet Courts, Fat White Family, Oh Sees and many many many more but trust me when I say that these blokes are the most important band in the world right now.

Tonight I have been to see Flat Worms (I love a gig that finishes at a reasonable time, i am old)

Now I love Radiohead, the National, Arcade Fire (live at least, the new stuff is crap) , Parquet Courts, Fat White Family, Oh Sees and many many many more but trust me when I say that these blokes are the most important band in the world right now.

Wow high praise.
They played the Cluny earlier this week and a few of my pals went. Wish I’d gave gone now and I havnt heard anything by them yet !

There was/is a song of theirs on the latest Rough Trade Counter Culture comp that I really like(d) but for some reason I never quite investigated further... will do.

Hark at Paul Morley.

Back