New Music Releases Thread

Levitate by The Fall is being reissued tomorrow. It was the last album recorded with some of the old guard of Hanley, Burns etc. It was made against a backdrop of turmoil and near bankruptcy and is utterly bonkers. It's influenced by Hip Hop, Techno and Drum n Bass! amongst other things and is a bit of a lost classic amongst Fall fans.

It also includes their cover of "Jungle Rock" doesn't it?

Chvrches, Pusha T & hopefully ASAP Rocky is a good week for me.

The new George Clinton/Parliament record just seemed to appear on Spotify on Tuesday out of nowhere if anyone's missed that. It is two hours long mind. Saw him wandering about at Glastonbury a couple of years back quite early one morning, he didn't look particularly sober.

Bit of a quiet week for new music this one. New releases from Chad Valley, Chvches, Hilary WIlliams (Hank's granddaughter), Hoobastank, Jenny Hval, Jonathan Davis (of Korn), Pusha T, Snow Patrol, Tracyanne & Danny, Wooden Shjips, Sudan Archives (also an EP), Near Future (Neil Arthur from Blancmange's new album), Halo Maud, Fatoumata Diawara, Wand (a mini album) and a re-release of Bark Psychosis' second album.
Biffy Clyro Unplugged (I’m sure that’s a massive hit on here!)

Looking forward to Chvrches.

I’ll pribably give it a listen. I’m not a massive fan but quite like them. They seemed to be the support act at about 90% of gigs I attended between 2000 and 2004.
My enjoyment is waning a bit, as they veer further into a mainstream sound, but I still ended up being a mug and preordered (as with FT). Like it’s from habit. I guess everyone’s getting older and mellowing out.

Right then, another week, another list of artists releasing stuff. Some big hitters in this lot: Ash, Brad Medihau Trio, Burn The Priest, Charles Watson (bloke from Slow Club), Five Finger Death Punch, Frog Eyes, GAS, James Bay, John Maus, Kelly Willis, Matthew Sweet, Parquet Courts, Ray LaMontagne, Ryley Walker, Stpehen Malkmus & the Jicks, TT (Theresa from Warpaint), Courtney Barnett, Modern Studies and Mary Lattimore.

In other news, the latest Uncut arrived yesterday. Cover CD is great as ever. Had a quick flick through the reviews and found that Mandy Patinkin (Inigo Montoya/Saul Berensen) is releasing an album soon (it got 7/10). Didn't realise he had a music career as well as acting.
Was out of town last week so missed this list - need to check out a few of those!

Also, for all the old-school folk punksters (that's me and...?), there was a new Men They Couldn't Hang album (Cock-A-Hoop) out last Friday

Really enjoying the album by Traceyanne and Danny. It’s a side project by camera obscura members.
It’s male/ female vintage pop. Sounds like it should have been made in the 60’s. Really nice melodies.
Give Wooden Shjips a listen also. What you’d expect just a bit more commercial I’d say. They’ve gone for a summer vibe which works well.

Anyone ever been to St Nicholas Cathedral for a gig in Newcastle? Just got my ticket this morning for Mercury Rev's 20th anniversary of Deserter's Songs.

Back