New Music Releases Thread

Right then, another week, another list of artists releasing stuff. Some big hitters in this lot: Ash, Brad Medihau Trio, Burn The Priest, Charles Watson (bloke from Slow Club), Five Finger Death Punch, Frog Eyes, GAS, James Bay, John Maus, Kelly Willis, Matthew Sweet, Parquet Courts, Ray LaMontagne, Ryley Walker, Stpehen Malkmus & the Jicks, TT (Theresa from Warpaint), Courtney Barnett, Modern Studies and Mary Lattimore.

In other news, the latest Uncut arrived yesterday. Cover CD is great as ever. Had a quick flick through the reviews and found that Mandy Patinkin (Inigo Montoya/Saul Berensen) is releasing an album soon (it got 7/10). Didn't realise he had a music career as well as acting.
Good week that

Malkmus, Barnett, Walker and Parquet Courts obviously. Any other recommendations?

Good week that

Malkmus, Barnett, Walker and Parquet Courts obviously. Any other recommendations?

John Maus and Mary Lattimore. Maybe Ray LaMontagne but his albums seem to alternate between excellent and dull. Both Charles Watson and TT could be interesting, depending on what direction they go in comparison to their bands.

Looking forward to that Charles Watson album, always liked Slow Club. The lass has the most broad Yorkshire accent I've heard which thankfully she dulls down on the songs.

Right then, another week, another list of artists releasing stuff. Some big hitters in this lot: Ash, Brad Medihau Trio, Burn The Priest, Charles Watson (bloke from Slow Club), Five Finger Death Punch, Frog Eyes, GAS, James Bay, John Maus, Kelly Willis, Matthew Sweet, Parquet Courts, Ray LaMontagne, Ryley Walker, Stpehen Malkmus & the Jicks, TT (Theresa from Warpaint), Courtney Barnett, Modern Studies and Mary Lattimore.

In other news, the latest Uncut arrived yesterday. Cover CD is great as ever. Had a quick flick through the reviews and found that Mandy Patinkin (Inigo Montoya/Saul Berensen) is releasing an album soon (it got 7/10). Didn't realise he had a music career as well as acting.
Ash, Courtney Barnett, Steven Malkmus and (the unlisted) debut album by The Corps (side project of the Real McKenzies guitarist, bassist and drummer).

Looking forward to that Charles Watson album, always liked Slow Club. The lass has the most broad Yorkshire accent I've heard which thankfully she dulls down on the songs.

Yeah. I remember seeing them at Green Man years ago on a really small stage. They were great - Charles on guitar and Rebecca doing percussion on an old chair and some bottles... the quality of the songs and the sense of fun stood out!

Ash, Courtney Barnett, Steven Malkmus and (the unlisted) debut album by The Corps (side project of the Real McKenzies guitarist, bassist and drummer).

Both Ray LaMontagne and Ryley Walker are artists who might well interest you...

If you like them give Wild Nothing a go (Nocturne). I reckon you'll be into it.
Enjoyed wild nothing and checked out the other beach house stuff. Like it a lot.
Fratellis were very disappointing. Super quiet and played most stuff at half speed. The years haven’t been too kind to them either!
Going to see Carsie blanton tonight I’ve just been informed. Never heard of her so should really check some of her stuff out!

Enjoyed wild nothing and checked out the other beach house stuff. Like it a lot.
Fratellis were very disappointing. Super quiet and played most stuff at half speed. The years haven’t been too kind to them either!
Going to see Carsie blanton tonight I’ve just been informed. Never heard of her so should really check some of her stuff out!

Nice one.

Never heard of her either marra.

The Independent is loving this week's main releases.

Album reviews: Courtney Barnett, Parquet Courts, Charles Watson, Ray LaMontagne

Last edited:
Courtney and Parquet Courts, in particular, are getting quality reviews everywhere.

I had a bit of a 'mare with my new release list. Missed albums by Half Man Half Biscuit, Bombino, Jennifer Castle, The Last Poets and Wax Chattels (which is Rough Trade's album of the week).

I'm going to get onto all those in the review first up.

Apple Music have just informed me that there’s a new Matt Costa album out today, which is a nice surprise. Don’t think he’ll ever surpass his debut though!

The Stephen Malkmus and Courtney Barnett albums are both excellent. His best Jicks album of the lot for me.
Listened to both once, and were enjoyable, but big statements. Will give both more goes.

Booked Libertines plus Thurston plus Patti Smith at Roundhouse

Still need to give it a go. I'm hopeful as the two reviews I've read said it's their best (the odd song apart I've not been impressed in the past).
They are awesome. They are not disappointing

Back