New Music Releases Thread

Listened to both once, and were enjoyable, but big statements. Will give both more goes.

Chacun a son gout and all that. To be fair, Malkmus could probably release a record of him singing his shopping list in the shower and I'd like it. But I think across the whole album there's a strength to the songs that no other Jicks album has - not to say there's not great songs on them all.

Listened to both once, and were enjoyable, but big statements. Will give both more goes.

Booked Libertines plus Thurston plus Patti Smith at Roundhouse

They are awesome. They are not disappointing

I got Light up gold (disappointing) after hearing Stoned and Starving (brilliant). I then explored them further, and for every belter there were several duffers. IMO. May have to revisit Chunky lad.

Had a brief listen to Courtney Barnet, not usually my thing but it sounds ok. Will listen to properly again.
I tried the Parquet Courts and not for me. Hurt my ears !

Seriously? Didn’t you go to Moonlandigz?

Yeah and love Moonlandingz. I just think Parquet courts are a bit shouty ( if that makes sense ). I’ll listen again but not really got into their previous stuff either.
On a side note, see they’ve released today the stage times for all points east. Thankfully no clashes.

Yeah and love Moonlandingz. I just think Parquet courts are a bit shouty ( if that makes sense ). I’ll listen again but not really got into their previous stuff either.
On a side note, see they’ve released today the stage times for all points east. Thankfully no clashes.

Did you go for the email ticket option? I either haven't recieved my ticket yet or more likely I've deleted it by accident.

The Corps is pop-punk-tastic but with enough uniqueness (the fact it’s a a futuristic superhero comic-book concept album, some hard rock-esque guitars, female guest vocals) to stop it being just another 90s/00s SoCal-pop-Punk by numbers.

Will probably be hated by most of this thread’s regulars though! My wife asked if I’d reverted back into being a 15 year old boy!

Last edited:
I see Jack Whites shows are "phone free". First time I've heard of this (but owa the moon), anyone else doing this?

PLEASE NOTE: this show is a PHONE-FREE show. No photos, video or audio recording devices allowed. We think you'll enjoy looking up from your gadgets for a little while and experience music and our shared love of it IN PERSON. Upon arrival at the venue, all phones and other photo or video-capturing gizmos will be secured in a Yondr pouch that will be unlocked at the end of the show. You keep your pouch-secured phone on you during the show and, if needed, can unlock your phone at any time in a designated Yondr Phone Zone located in the lobby or concourse. For those looking to do some social media postings, let us help you with that. Our official tour photographer will be posting photos and videos after the show at jackwhiteiii.com and the new Jack White Live Instagram account @officialjackwhitelive. Repost our photos & videos as much as you want and enjoy a phone-free, 100% human experience.

Well, my patented one (and a bit sometimes) reviews:

HMHB: probably not their best but still really good and very funny!
Courtney Barnett: a grower. Some strong songs here. She's a talent!
Parquet Courts: possibly the album of the year! If this isn't the album that makes them massive then what will be?
Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks: possibly the album of the year! If this isn't the album that makes post-Pavement Malkmus massive then what will be?
TT: pretty good, clearly from the Warpaint family...
Bombino: good. West African blues done well.
The Last Poets: pretty marvellous! Politically charged veterans slightly held back, if anything, by the music.
Ray LaMontagne: good. He's going increasingly psych-blues and is better for it...
Charles Watson: only listened once so far. Very good! Better than a lot of Slow Club's albums... he's a big talent!

Well, my patented one (and a bit sometimes) reviews:

HMHB: probably not their best but still really good and very funny!
Courtney Barnett: a grower. Some strong songs here. She's a talent!
Parquet Courts: possibly the album of the year! If this isn't the album that makes them massive then what will be?
Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks: possibly the album of the year! If this isn't the album that makes post-Pavement Malkmus massive then what will be?
TT: pretty good, clearly from the Warpaint family...
Bombino: good. West African blues done well.
The Last Poets: pretty marvellous! Politically charged veterans slightly held back, if anything, by the music.
Ray LaMontagne: good. He's going increasingly psych-blues and is better for it...
Charles Watson: only listened once so far. Very good! Better than a lot of Slow Club's albums... he's a big talent!

And four more...

Jennifer Castle: well constructed folk tunes. A good listen!
Mary Lattimore: instrumental harp. Sort of ambient folk-psych. Sounds brilliant a track at a time, gets a bit monotonous over an album.
Ryley Walker: quite downbeat but very good...
John Maus: outtakes etc., enjoyable!

Last edited:
Bit of a quiet week for new music this one. New releases from Chad Valley, Chvches, Hilary WIlliams (Hank's granddaughter), Hoobastank, Jenny Hval, Jonathan Davis (of Korn), Pusha T, Snow Patrol, Tracyanne & Danny, Wooden Shjips, Sudan Archives (also an EP), Near Future (Neil Arthur from Blancmange's new album), Halo Maud, Fatoumata Diawara, Wand (a mini album) and a re-release of Bark Psychosis' second album.

Bit of a quiet week for new music this one. New releases from Chad Valley, Chvches, Hilary WIlliams (Hank's granddaughter), Hoobastank, Jenny Hval, Jonathan Davis (of Korn), Pusha T, Snow Patrol, Tracyanne & Danny, Wooden Shjips, Sudan Archives (also an EP), Near Future (Neil Arthur from Blancmange's new album), Halo Maud, Fatoumata Diawara, Wand (a mini album) and a re-release of Bark Psychosis' second album.
wooden shjips stands out there mate, jenny hval is usually interesting and anything from Neil Arthur is worth a listen imo there

Plus all the stuff you have forgotten

wooden shjips stands out there mate, jenny hval is usually interesting and anything from Neil Arthur is worth a listen imo there

Wand for me as well, also Tracyanne & Danny should be good (Tracyanne is the singer from Camera Obscura). The Sudan Archives EP should be good, first one was.

Plus all the stuff you have forgotten

Well, that's a given.

Levitate by The Fall is being reissued tomorrow. It was the last album recorded with some of the old guard of Hanley, Burns etc. It was made against a backdrop of turmoil and near bankruptcy and is utterly bonkers. It's influenced by Hip Hop, Techno and Drum n Bass! amongst other things and is a bit of a lost classic amongst Fall fans.

Back