New Music Releases Thread

So my summing up of last week's new stuff plus some other almost new things:

Okkervil River - they've moved further away from their Americana origins to more of an early 70s California sound. Actually, reminds me a bit of Mark Eitzel/Microdisney.
Janelle Monae - really enjoyable. The broadsheets are pushing it as one of the albums of the year, not sure it's quite that.
Speedy Ortiz - nice enough, you know what you're getting with them, solid American female fronted indie rock.
Dylan Carlson - instrumental guitar stuff. I suppose you'd file it at the metallic end of post-rock (well, drone rock). Quite listenable!
Jenny Wilson - solo artist who has also worked with The Knife. It's dark (by subject matter) Scandi electropop. Maybe my album of the week?
Park Jiha - came out a few weeks back on Glitterbeat (who seem to be the go to album for non-Western music). Korean folk/post-rock. Interesting!
Once and Future Band - nominally an EP, although it's longer than a lot of albums. A little bit proggy. Reminds me a bit of Steely Dan in places.
XOR Gate - electronica. One 30 minute track. Former member of Drexciya, who has recorded under various names.

So my summing up of last week's new stuff plus some other almost new things:

Okkervil River - they've moved further away from their Americana origins to more of an early 70s California sound. Actually, reminds me a bit of Mark Eitzel/Microdisney.
Janelle Monae - really enjoyable. The broadsheets are pushing it as one of the albums of the year, not sure it's quite that.
Speedy Ortiz - nice enough, you know what you're getting with them, solid American female fronted indie rock.
Dylan Carlson - instrumental guitar stuff. I suppose you'd file it at the metallic end of post-rock (well, drone rock). Quite listenable!
Jenny Wilson - solo artist who has also worked with The Knife. It's dark (by subject matter) Scandi electropop. Maybe my album of the week?
Park Jiha - came out a few weeks back on Glitterbeat (who seem to be the go to album for non-Western music). Korean folk/post-rock. Interesting!
Once and Future Band - nominally an EP, although it's longer than a lot of albums. A little bit proggy. Reminds me a bit of Steely Dan in places.
XOR Gate - electronica. One 30 minute track. Former member of Drexciya, who has recorded under various names.
Listened to Park Jiha yesterday. Some of it is superb, some of it is just odd

First new releases of May tomorrow. Bit of a bumper crop this week with albums from Belly, Black Moth Super Rainbow, D.O.A., Damien Jurado, DJ Koze, Dragonforce, Eleanor Friedberger, FAN (a solo Dodo), Frank Turner, Gaz Coobes, Iceage, Jon Hopkins, Leon Bridges, Mat Kearney, Matt & Kim, Parker Milsap, Peace, Royce da 5'9, Trampled by Turtles, Venetian Snares/Daniel Lanois, Jah Wobble & Momo Project, Vive La Void, Hailey Tuck, Shakey Graves, Clippety Clop, Daniel Blumberg, Steven Adams & the French Drops and Plan B.

First new releases of May tomorrow. Bit of a bumper crop this week with albums from Belly, Black Moth Super Rainbow, D.O.A., Damien Jurado, DJ Koze, Dragonforce, Eleanor Friedberger, FAN (a solo Dodo), Frank Turner, Gaz Coobes, Iceage, Jon Hopkins, Leon Bridges, Mat Kearney, Matt & Kim, Parker Milsap, Peace, Royce da 5'9, Trampled by Turtles, Venetian Snares/Daniel Lanois, Jah Wobble & Momo Project, Vive La Void, Hailey Tuck, Shakey Graves, Clippety Clop, Daniel Blumberg, Steven Adams & the French Drops and Plan B.
Interesting

Friedberger, Jurado, Blumberg (ex Yuck), Hopkins and Iceage for me

Unless you have other suggestions?

Interesting

Friedberger, Jurado, Blumberg (ex Yuck), Hopkins and Iceage for me

Unless you have other suggestions?

Probably the five I'd pick out. May give Belly and Steven Adams a listen for nostalgic reasons. Hailey Tuck got a cracking review is the current Uncut but I've yet to listen to anything by her. VIve la Void is the solo project of the female half of Moon Duo so could be good. Clippety Clop should be Holly Golightly & the Brokeoffs (listed the album title not artist). And Gaz Coobes should be Gaz Coombes, but that's more obvious.

Really looking forward to tomorrows releases. Jon Hopkins, DJ Koze and Vive la Void should all be great. Also looking forward to Aussie singer Jack ladders new one. I know @James wasnt too keen when he saw him live but I've enjoyed his singles and previous album.

Not a lot on there I’m really familiar with. Unless you have any recommendations I think it’s DOA and Gaz Coombes for me tomorrow.

Not a lot on there I’m really familiar with. Unless you have any recommendations I think it’s DOA and Gaz Coombes for me tomorrow.

You may like Damien Jurado, singer songwriter guitarist, downbeat Americana. Trampled by Turtles are kind of a bluegrass band. Shakey Graves is another singer songwriter. I'm not overly familiar with him but wikipedia reckons his music is a mix of Blues, folk and rock and roll.

You may like Damien Jurado, singer songwriter guitarist, downbeat Americana. Trampled by Turtles are kind of a bluegrass band. Shakey Graves is another singer songwriter. I'm not overly familiar with him but wikipedia reckons his music is a mix of Blues, folk and rock and roll.
Sounds right up my street, I’ll add him to my list. Nice mix of punk, indie pop and Americana for me tomorrow now.

The Janelle single was dreadful I found, shame as her first album was rather good
What was the single? Must confess I don't really listen to music radio anymore (or any radio).

ArchAndroid isn't rather good, it's bloody phenomenal. Not my genre at all, which makes it all the more surprising to me that it's probably my favourite album of the century so far. Masterpiece. Electric Lady not far behind it, ditto the new one. She's fantastic.

Not a popular choice in these parts, but if you like the Celtic folk rock stuff (I think you might have posted about Dropkicks, Real Mackenzies, Flogging Molly?) then you might like Frank Turner - but I fancy this album is likely a bit MOR at this point. The early stuff was more folk punk.

Not a popular choice in these parts, but if you like the Celtic folk rock stuff (I think you might have posted about Dropkicks, Real Mackenzies, Flogging Molly?) then you might like Frank Turner - but I fancy this album is likely a bit MOR at this point. The early stuff was more folk punk.
Cheers. I’ve heard/read his name mention d but for some reason I’ve been thinking people were talking about Frank Carter so never paid much attention.

On the topic of Celtic Punk, just over a month until the new Mahones album.

Back