New Music Releases Thread

So, thus :

Ezra Furman - excellent, may be his best yet. An early contender!
Joan As Policewoman - she's basically a solid 7.5 to 8 each album. Enjoyable, well made but not in consideration for album the year.
MGMT - I'll go against opinion and say that I like it, especially the last 4 or 5 tracks.
Brian Fallon - I'll agree with @Marty Moose that it's basically like most of what he's done before. As such, a bit ploddy. Seems to have some British thing going on lyrically
Jerry David DeCicca - quite, quite lovely! Reminds me of Kevin Morby's softer moments. A keeper!

I know there's a few listeners on here and this is a couple of days old but Jack Cooper announced that Ultimate Painting were no more. Didn't realise that he and Jack Hoare had a 'fragile' relationship. Worst thing is their new album (due in april) won't be released and their new single which was superb has been pulled from Spotify... Damn shame, not often I'm gutted at bands calling it a day but these two were talented...

What Mogwai album should I start with? I've heard one or two songs from them but never really followed it up.

Come on die young is sparse and quite mellow, my favourite but hardcore is a good starting point though

I know there's a few listeners on here and this is a couple of days old but Jack Cooper announced that Ultimate Painting were no more. Didn't realise that he and Jack Hoare had a 'fragile' relationship. Worst thing is their new album (due in april) won't be released and their new single which was superb has been pulled from Spotify... Damn shame, not often I'm gutted at bands calling it a day but these two were talented...

Come on die young is sparse and quite mellow, my favourite but hardcore is a good starting point though
Must admit I didn’t love Ultimate Painting or Jack Coopers solo record

He supported A Savage the other week but I was still in the pub, but he then played with them, not sure if that’s permanent or not

Must admit I didn’t love Ultimate Painting or Jack Coopers solo record

He supported A Savage the other week but I was still in the pub, but he then played with them, not sure if that’s permanent or not
permanent for the tour at least mate, a. savage played guitar and keys for cooper in the same way cooper played keys and guitar for a. savage when i saw them. cost effective way to tour records imo

So, a bumper week for new releases once more. Firstly, the new Uncut has a very good cover CD. Next on with tomorrow's new stuff: Alva Noto & Ryuchi Sakamoto, Ryuchi Sakamoto (on his own), Belle & Sebastian (their three recent EPs released as an album), Born Ruffians, Brandi Carlile, Everything Is Recorded (XL Records main man's project), Fischerspooner, I'm With Her (a female folk vocalist "supergroup"), Laurie Anderson & Kronos Quartet (highbrow release of the week), Loma, Marlon Williams, Ought, Pianos Become Teeth, Senses Fall, Superchunk, Tyga, U.S. Girls, Wild Beasts (a live farewell album), Polica and Stargaze, Miracle, The Hanging Stars, Car Seat Headrest (a rerecording of their 2011 album Twin Fantasy), Pete Astor, Rejjie Snow.

I will no doubt have missed something either hiphop or rock.

So, a bumper week for new releases once more. Firstly, the new Uncut has a very good cover CD. Next on with tomorrow's new stuff: Alva Noto & Ryuchi Sakamoto, Ryuchi Sakamoto (on his own), Belle & Sebastian (their three recent EPs released as an album), Born Ruffians, Brandi Carlile, Everything Is Recorded (XL Records main man's project), Fischerspooner, I'm With Her (a female folk vocalist "supergroup"), Laurie Anderson & Kronos Quartet (highbrow release of the week), Loma, Marlon Williams, Ought, Pianos Become Teeth, Senses Fall, Superchunk, Tyga, U.S. Girls, Wild Beasts (a live farewell album), Polica and Stargaze, Miracle, The Hanging Stars, Car Seat Headrest (a rerecording of their 2011 album Twin Fantasy), Pete Astor, Rejjie Snow.

New ride ep too :lol:

This morning been listening to

C.A.R, female fronted electronica, very very good. Produced by Steve Osbourne who did a lot of great work with Oakenfold for the Happy Mondays etc. If you like Lonelady, Chromatics etc you'llk like this.

Polica. New album in collaboration with a Berlin based orchestra. Sounds OK, need to listen to again but noy jumping out.

Anyone been to the Mining Institute in Newcastle? Indoor Pets got moved there tonight (really good!) - absolutely baltic inside!

Lead singer has disappeared up his own arse.

I think that Ezra Furman record is shit as well. I thought the last one was great too.
I’ve quite enjoyed the Ezra album actually.

Had a blast through a lot yesterday, on first impression the Kronos Quartet is a cracker and the rest is all a bit meh

Last edited:
Had a blast through a lot yesterday, on first impression the Kronos Quartet is a cracker and the rest is all a bit meh

Agreed about that. Quite post-rock.

Of the other stuff I've listened to, Car Seat Headrest is very good, Ought like you said, pretty dull (the way they've evolved reminds me of CYHSY!), The Hanging Stars quietly nice, Marlon Williams very good, Ride's EP is decent but not an end of year lister, not overly keen on the Belle & Seb EPs, just started listening to Loma, which is sounding nice so far - female fronted, a bit folky, a bit electronic. Got winter lurgy and my boiler has packed in (until British Gas come round on Wednesday, at least) so my new music listening has been a bit curtailed at the weekend.

What is all the hype about the Orielles for? They are absolutely dreadful.

The Shame album has grown on me after a few listens, but it’s still not as great as it’s made out to be.

Off to see Bon Iver tomorrow night

Back