New Music Releases Thread

Saw Mogwai tonight in Newcastle. Outstanding. Possibly my favourite live band of the last 20 years. Think I'll be digging out their Special Moves DVD to rewatch very soon.

Wasn't it superb. They just blew me away last night, probably the 8th or 9th time I've seen them and that topped every other show. The additions of Cat (good to see Martin back though) and the lad who replaced John Cummings have brought some real energy to the band, that young lad in particular was outstanding....

My tinnitus isn't too bad this morning either!!!

Wasn't it superb. They just blew me away last night, probably the 8th or 9th time I've seen them and that topped every other show. The additions of Cat (good to see Martin back though) and the lad who replaced John Cummings have brought some real energy to the band, that young lad in particular was outstanding....

Same - was f***ing loud! Superb though.

I stood near the back so although my ears were ringing quite loudly afterwards, thankfully they seem back to normal ringing levels today. I've seen them a similar number of times and every time they blow me away. My first Mogwai gig upstairs at the Riverside (Melbourne Street) will always be the most special one, but I agree this line up seems to have added extra energy. I wondered what anyone seeing them last night for the first time would have made of their power and volume.

This .. absolutely mesmerised by the lad last night. Sceptical of the venue before (first time I've been to a gig there) but the sound was decent. Think i got something in my eye during i'm Jim Morrison too :eek: epic and the like get thrown about too often these days but last night was just that

I was also blown away by Mogwai last night, absolutely awesome. It's a good venue at the university, just the right size and the acoustics are superb. Much better venue than the academy

Something that I think was released in 2016, so therefore not new but I've been listening to having recently bought it on vinyl is White Sugar by Tango Alpha Tango. Cracking album.

So, I've given a thorough listen to five of last week's new releases now:

Field Music - very entertaining. They're an acquired taste but are really very good.
Hookworms - was never that keen on their earlier stuff. Appreciated it without being a fan but this is exceptionally good.
Kyle Craft - enjoyable but it's pretty much interchangeable with his debut (beyond his hair colour having changed on the cover).
Red River Dialect - very, very good. It's folk so a lot of people will be put off because people tend to associate crap dweeb boys with acoustic guitars with folk. This is adventurous, forward thinking and moving...
Efrim Manuel Manuck - by the standards of his GSYBE! and A Silver Mt. Zion stuff, this is pop music (by most standards, it's slightly obtuse orchestral post-rock with more vocals than usual). Really good though and still highly political and quite doomy lyrically. Kind of how I'd hoped Arcade Fire would go at some point...

Wasn’t sure about the Hookworms album at first but it’s a real grower. Will try and see them in Salford next month as they’re meant to be excellent live.

Right, as I'm at workypoos until 7pm, or thereabouts, and have meetings for a fair lollipop of tomorrow morning, I'm doing the weekly new release post a day early...

On February 9th 2018, there are new albums from Brian Fallon, Dashboard Confessional, David Duchovny, Franz Ferdinand, Fu Manchu, Holy Motors (Estonian shoegazers seemingly), Legend of the Seagullmen, MGMT, Son Lux, The Wombats, Susanna, Ezra Furman, The Monochrome Set, Brigid Mae Power, Jerry David DeCicca and Joan As Policewoman.

Right, as I'm at workypoos until 7pm, or thereabouts, and have meetings for a fair lollipop of tomorrow morning, I'm doing the weekly new release post a day early...

On February 9th 2018, there are new albums from Brian Fallon, Dashboard Confessional, David Duchovny, Franz Ferdinand, Fu Manchu, Holy Motors (Estonian shoegazers seemingly), Legend of the Seagullmen, MGMT, Son Lux, The Wombats, Susanna, Ezra Furman, The Monochrome Set, Brigid Mae Power, Jerry David DeCicca and Joan As Policewoman.
WTF? Fox Mulder releasing an album?

I’m looking forward to Fu Manchu. I’ll probably check out MGMT, Franz or Dashboard if I get a chance.

Son Lux and Ezra (who was excellent last night) for me

WTF? Fox Mulder releasing an album?

I’m looking forward to Fu Manchu. I’ll probably check out MGMT, Franz or Dashboard if I get a chance.

Mulder's second album seemingly.

Son Lux and Ezra (who was excellent last night) for me

Ezra's a definite here. Brigid Mae Power also... then, there's 4 or 5 others with interest for me (MGMT and Franz primarily to hear what they're up to).

Back