New Music Releases Thread

I've got no idea who Go Kart Mozart are but if they aren't one of the best bands I've ever heard then I'm going to be seriously disappointed.

It's primarily Lawrence from 80s indie band (and Peel favourites) Felt, and then latterly from Denim. The name, it seems comes from a Springsteen lyric (from 'Blinded by the Light'). Their wiki page lists their genres as glam rock, indie and novelty rock, which isn't far off the mark.

I'm liking what I'm hearing from Dream Wife, 6 music has their single on heavy rotation ATM. They're also on at The Deershed so I'm looking forward to seeing them there

I've got no idea who Go Kart Mozart are but if they aren't one of the best bands I've ever heard then I'm going to be seriously disappointed.
I loved Felt and have quite a few of their albums. On the strength of that a few good reviews I got the first Go Kart Mozart album - what a mistake, its more like comedy music. Like the TV Personalities but without the pathos and heartbreak. Basically rubbish.

I loved Felt and have quite a few of their albums. On the strength of that a few good reviews I got the first Go Kart Mozart album - what a mistake, its more like comedy music. Like the TV Personalities but without the pathos and heartbreak. Basically rubbish.

I quite like them but they're a world away from Felt. Difficult to believe it's the same bloke.

Last week of Feb and it seems like a quiet week for new stuff. Releases from S. Carey, Screaming Females, Black Milk, Our Lady Peace, Young Jesus, Insecure Men, Psychic Markers, Grant-Lee Phillips, Olden Yolk, The Lovely Eggs, Imarhan, Go Kart Mozart and Darlingside.
gonna seek out gkm from that list mate.

Last week of Feb and it seems like a quiet week for new stuff. Releases from S. Carey, Screaming Females, Black Milk, Our Lady Peace, Young Jesus, Insecure Men, Psychic Markers, Grant-Lee Phillips, Olden Yolk, The Lovely Eggs, Imarhan, Go Kart Mozart and Darlingside.
I have no idea who most of them are - any recommendations?

I’ve already gone for the new release Celtic Punk band Finegan’s Hell but I’m off work today so can probably fit in another 2 or 3 as well.

I have no idea who most of them are - any recommendations?

I’ve already gone for the new release Celtic Punk band Finegan’s Hell but I’m off work today so can probably fit in another 2 or 3 as well.

You might like Grant-Lee Phillips. Singer from Grant Lee Buffalo, Americana basically. S. Carey is Sean Carey, the drummer from Bon Iver. His stuff is not entirely dissimilar to the early Bon Iver stuff.

You might like Grant-Lee Phillips. Singer from Grant Lee Buffalo, Americana basically. S. Carey is Sean Carey, the drummer from Bon Iver. His stuff is not entirely dissimilar to the early Bon Iver stuff.
Cheers. I’ll add them both to my phone

One listen each of Grant-Lee Phillips and Finnegan’s Hell.

I like most of G-LP, a couple of tracks were a bit dull for a first listen but might grow on me. The stronger tracks sound very Springsteen-y to me. “Scared Stiff” grabbed me immediately and is the strongest track on first listen. I think this’ll get quite a lot of spins over the next week or so.

FH is ok (again, on first listen). They are a million miles away from the quality of likes of the Dripkick Murphys, The Mahones and Real McKenzies in the Celtic punk stakes but it’s a decent enough listen.

Last edited:
New Breeders track, Nervous Mary, out yesterday (on Spotify)
New Frank Turner track, Be More Kind, out today (on Spotify)
New Speedy Ortiz album, Twerp Verse, announced for April 27 - first track, Lucky 88, out a couple of days ago

Also Mastersystem, featuring one of the Editors, his brother from Minor Victories, and the brothers from Frightened Rabbit - new track yesterday, Notes on a Life Not Quite Lived. Album out April 6.

Off to see Frabbit play Midnight Organ Fight in Brooklyn tomorrow night.

Should have said, Mastersystem is on Spotify as of today - it's heavier than FR. I quite like it on the first couple of listens. The album is going to be called Dance Music. Cluny 4/26

Last edited:
Anyone else go and see Pale Waves tonight, in Boro? They were canny, much better than the first time I saw them in Newcastle.

They played about 8 songs, almost a full set!

Back