New Music Releases Thread

New albums from Andy Cooper (ex-Ugly Duckling rapper) and Phil Campbell (ex-Motörhead guitarist) out too and I hadn’t realised.
The new Andy Cooper album is great. I’d even go as far as to say that it’s up there with some of his UD work. About 100 times better than the free to download album he did a couple of years ago

Given a decent listen to a fair few of the week's new releases plus one or two that weren't new this week but were new to me....

Dream Wife: already mentioned, really good, all female indie rock
Ty Segall: a hell of a lot to take in. 19 tracks, 70+ minutes, genre straddling, unusual choice of cover version. Probably his masterwork thus far.
The Hands: Swedish jazz sorts interface jazz with sludge rock with some pretty spactacular results
Stick In The Wheel: they take traditional folk and, to some degree modernise it. Well worth a listen.
Khruangbin: guitar fronted, mostly instrumental, influences from Ethiopian music and south east Asia plus jazz. Intriguing.
Django Django: I quite like it but it does tend to sound more like a compilation than an album.
Guy One: Ghanaian afrobeat (known as Frafra, apparently). Well, well worth a listen, if you have an interest in African music.
Calexico: a move back to the slightly Latin feel of earlier albums after the last couple were very much Americana without the Mexican influences. Good. Quite long but that's because I've been listening to the deluxe edition.
HC McEntire: sounds pretty good. A definite grower. Americana...
No Age: two pieced guitar rock. Their songs are catchier now than earlier albums.
Nadine: Uncut reckon it's sophisticated pop (8/10). I reckon it's a bit dull. Could be a grower, I guess?
Jim Ghedi: music about landscapes. I suppose ambient folk might describe it. Very, very beautiful in parts...

BBC Music have announced their “Biggest Weekend” and one of the venues is Perth which is only about half an hour or so from me.

Belfast get Beck, Manics, Courtney Barnett and Public Service Broadcasting; Perth gets Noel Gallagher, Nigel Kennedy and “Many more TBA”:neutral:. Hopefully they’ll get a couple of decent acts, £22.50 a ticket is a bargain.

BBC Music have announced their “Biggest Weekend” and one of the venues is Perth which is only about half an hour or so from me.

Belfast get Beck, Manics, Courtney Barnett and Public Service Broadcasting; Perth gets Noel Gallagher, Nigel Kennedy and “Many more TBA”:neutral:. Hopefully they’ll get a couple of decent acts, £22.50 a ticket is a bargain.

Just saw that. Additionally, Swansea gets Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift and Coventry gets Snow Patrol, Billy Ocean, Eliza Carthy, Nigel Kennedy (again) and the BBC Concert Orchestra.

Laura Veirs has announced a new album release date and US/Europe tour.

Out on 13th April, produced by her husband Tucker Martine (who has produced for Sufjan, Decemberists, My Morning Jacket, Neko Case and Mudhoney amongst others), with guest appearances from Sufjan and Jim James.

Seen a new band recently from Liverpool called The Night Cafe. Beatles/Coral/Zutons/Las flavoured indie type stuff. Bloody good they were anarl. Their playing Newcastle Think Tank next week whatever that is? They were supported by Plaza from Hartlepool who looked a good couple of years behind them in their development.
THe Night Cafe support The Wombats on tour soon after their own headlining one finishes next week. EP out soon according to their marra on the merch stall. They’ve had a few singles out already which gathered the usual music press/blog/rad6 attention.
Go see em.....you won’t be disappointed.

So my three tips for 2018 pop pickers are:

Yowl. London lairy and literary five piece guitar band rock.

Whenyoung. London based Irish female fronted three piece. Sleeper, Siouxsie, Blondie, Elastica etc etc. (Appearing at the Deershed Festival). Bit of a looker anarl.

The Night Cafe. Melodic 60s influenced Liverpudlian four piece. Bit of a looker anarl according to the young lasses standing next to me anyway.....or mebbes they meant me?

Has anyone seen em or even heard of em?

First new releases of February tomorrow. They include albums from AWOLNATION, DZ Deathrays, Efrim Manuel Manuck (lead player is GSYBE!), Sunderland's own Field Music (already has it's own thread on here), Hookworms, James Hunter Six, Justin Timberlake, Rae Morris, Rhye, RIch Chigga, Simple Minds, Red River Dialect, Julian Lage, Kyle Craft and Bardo Pond.

First new releases of February tomorrow. They include albums from AWOLNATION, DZ Deathrays, Efrim Manuel Manuck (lead player is GSYBE!), Sunderland's own Field Music (already has it's own thread on here), Hookworms, James Hunter Six, Justin Timberlake, Rae Morris, Rhye, RIch Chigga, Simple Minds, Red River Dialect, Julian Lage, Kyle Craft and Bardo Pond.
Some cracking stuff there

Hookworms should be excellent judging by reviews and 3 lead tracks. Also what I’ve heard from field Music sounds good.

Hookworms should be excellent judging by reviews and 3 lead tracks. Also what I’ve heard from field Music sounds good.
think i heard something by them on 6music earlier this week, it peaked my interest... haven't heard anything else by them though - decent?

anyone heard of Hak Baker? not sure how new he is, just got is EP and its canny like

black lad, folk singer / rapper / soul with acoustic guitar, young kid from East London.

think i heard something by them on 6music earlier this week, it peaked my interest... haven't heard anything else by them though - decent?

Yeah, Leeds band, members only known by their initials. Sort of psych/noise rock with poppy undertones previously but they've been experimenting with electronic stuff on this album seemingly.

Their stuff prior to this is good but a lot more fuzz / distorted. I like it but it’s not the most commercial.
The new stuff is a lot more accessible and sounds great. Playing the Cluny soon also. Give it a listen tomorrow mate.

Their stuff prior to this is good but a lot more fuzz / distorted. I like it but it’s not the most commercial.
The new stuff is a lot more accessible and sounds great. Playing the Cluny soon also. Give it a listen tomorrow mate.

@errant see above mate, replied to myself !!

Back