New Music Releases Thread

What you think of their new song 'Magazine'
Thanks, just gave it a listen. Decent - more upbeat and dare I say "dancey" than I was expecting for them. Also didn't realize I'd missed an album (2016) - listened to that and it was disappointingly dull. Had tickets for early 2016 but it was canceled when he had a blood infection and I lost track after that. Hope they're playing more older stuff in May (and with the Cure in July).

I run an editorial department at an ad agency and we're in a room at the back of the building. I put a pic of the sleeve of the first album on the door - Editors, The Back Room - don't think any of my American colleagues have a clue what it is, they just think it's an artsy-fartsy sign for the editorial department. :lol:

Tomorrow seems to be when new releases for the year kick off properly. New albums from: A Grave With No Name, Bahamas, Fall Out Boy, First Aid Kit, Glen Hansard, Joe Perry, Kimbra, Porches, The Go! Team (a reworking of last year's Heartworms), They Might Be Giants, Tune-Yards, Xylouris White, Starcrawler, Schlammpeitzigger, The Liminanas, Half Japanese, Faeland (although this may be out on Saturday for some reason) and Rough Trade Shops' Counter Culture 2017 compilation.

Something for everyone there!

Also, the new Uncut came yesterday. The last one edited by John Mulvey. It's worth picking up for the cover CD (15 tracks from their list of rock's 50 most extreme albums ever). Any metal fan seeing that on the cover (and not noticing that there articles about Joan Baez, Gary Numan, outlaw country and new UK/Irish folk amongst other things) will be in for a shock or enlightenment.

I've given the once over to six of the new albums.

Starcrawler: overprivileged, much hyped LA kids do rock. S'alright but it's been done before.
The Go! Team: fun but it's kind of interchangeable with every other Go! Team album
Xylouris White: very good. Ostensibly Greek folk but, for me, they're far more rocking than Starcrawler.
The Liminanas: French psych-rock. Pretty marvellous! The song that really sounds like New Order has Hooky on bass, which explains why.
First Aid Kit: Another case of good but it's no real move on from what they've done before (maybe lyrically as they've not really ventured into break ups and booze previously). Also, one paced like a mudloving staying chaser.
Tune-Yards: Interesting and entertaining. Unlike a couple of the bands above, they continue to evolve album by album.

I've given the once over to six of the new albums.

Starcrawler: overprivileged, much hyped LA kids do rock. S'alright but it's been done before.
The Go! Team: fun but it's kind of interchangeable with every other Go! Team album
Xylouris White: very good. Ostensibly Greek folk but, for me, they're far more rocking than Starcrawler.
The Liminanas: French psych-rock. Pretty marvellous! The song that really sounds like New Order has Hooky on bass, which explains why.
First Aid Kit: Another case of good but it's no real move on from what they've done before (maybe lyrically as they've not really ventured into break ups and booze previously). Also, one paced like a mudloving staying chaser.
Tune-Yards: Interesting and entertaining. Unlike a couple of the bands above, they continue to evolve album by album.
Tune-Yards was so disappointing to me, loved the first album but gone rapidly down hill

I think that I may be losing the plot but I thought that The The had recently released or were on the verge of releasing a new album but I did a search and didn't find anything. Anyone advise if MJ did release a new album?

So, tomorrow marks the first new releases of a post-MES world and we have an eclectic mix with albums from Calexico, Django Django, Marmozets, Migos, Nick JD Hodgson (the former Kaiser Chiefs drummer/songwriter). Nightmares On Wax, Nils Frahm, No Age, Rick Springfield, Sleeping Giant, The Spook School, Ty Segall, Dream Wife, Stick In The Wheel, Khruangbin, Guy One, Jim Ghedi, Nadine and HC McEntire.

Amongst other things, there's two Uncut albums of the month in there (HC McEntire and Ty Segall)

Back