New Music Releases Thread

New releases for this week, as usual an eclectic mix: Andre Hung, Cults, Daphni, Deradoorian, Kele Okereke, Ducktails, Liam Gallagher, Marilyn Manson, Mark Kozelek with Ben Boye and Jim White, The Darkness, The Weather Station, The White Buffalo, Weaves, Wolf Parade, Whitney Rose, Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith, My Sad Captain, JD McPherson and Seamus Fogarty.

I've not picked anything for this week yet as I'd been getting my blog up to date this morning and over lunch (new post up now at https://singingthebrews.wordpress.c...try-communion-reverend-the-makers-and-primus/).

Before I take the easy route and take Marilyn Manson and Liam Gallagher, does anyone have any recommendations?

Wolf Parade and/or The Weather Station would be my two picks this week. The former are Canadian power pop types and the latter are female fronted folky Americana.

Wolf Parade and/or The Weather Station would be my two picks this week. The former are Canadian power pop types and the latter are female fronted folky Americana.
Cheers, gone with the Weather Station for my bus journey home.

Not listened to it yet but the Daphni tracklist seems to be just made up of tracks that were on his album that came out a few months back.

Noticed that. Different mixes/versions, I guess? Fabriclive was vaguely a mix album, I guess.

Yeah I think so, length of the songs seem to be slightly different albeit not too much. Guess he's just condensing a mix of tracks into an actual album.

The Bruce Springsteen archive downloads continue (Springsteen's live archive series) - with a full concert released on the first Friday of each month. Today's was MSG July 1 2000 - the final show on the reunion tour. Most of the songs are included in the "Live in NYC" DVD so I will wait until cyber Monday (the Monday after the US Thanksgiving Day in November) when hopefully there will be another 1/2 price sale.

I've yet to listen to the latest Kozelek missive/missile but other releases this week:

Wolf Parade - really very good! I'd forgotten that they were this much fun. The sort of album Arcade Fire should be making.
The Weather Station - good. Somewhere between Joni Mitchell and St Vincent
Andrew Hung - kind of post-punk, kind of electronic, vocals remind me of something/someone but not sure what.
Daphni - sounds a fair bit like Fabriclive 93.
Andrew Weatherall - released last week. Good. Not sure it's quite up to his Sabres of Paradise heyday.
Kaitlyn Aurelia Jones - emersive ambient stuff (she gets described as New Age). Pleasantly engaging.

I've yet to listen to the latest Kozelek missive/missile but other releases this week:

Wolf Parade - really very good! I'd forgotten that they were this much fun. The sort of album Arcade Fire should be making.
The Weather Station - good. Somewhere between Joni Mitchell and St Vincent
Andrew Hung - kind of post-punk, kind of electronic, vocals remind me of something/someone but not sure what.
Daphni - sounds a fair bit like Fabriclive 93.
Andrew Weatherall - released last week. Good. Not sure it's quite up to his Sabres of Paradise heyday.
Kaitlyn Aurelia Jones - emersive ambient stuff (she gets described as New Age). Pleasantly engaging.
Kozelek is just Kozelek.

Weather Station bored me stupid

Wolf Parade is indeed fun

Andrew Hung is topper on one listen

I wasn't overly enamoured with the Weather Station on first 3 listens, however I spent today listening to Liam Gallagher and Marilyn Manson so I might have a new found respect for it by tomorrow afternoon.

LG is one big cliche, Oasis light, and even on record you can tell his voice has gone.

I have actually enjoyed MM, I think I'm just bit old for the whole Anti Christ persona. Lyrics of the week:
"I write songs to fight and to fuck to;
If you want to fight then I'll fight you;
If you want to fuck I'll fuck you;
Make up your mind or I'll make it up for you!"

On the bright side, the Radnor & Lee album finally has a release date - 10th November!

Last edited:

Back