New Music Releases Thread

GY!BE is the obvious highlight for me. And probably Wand. Any other recommendations?

Hiss Golden Messenger is the other obvious one for me and I'll also give the old school indie stuff from Luna (Dean Wareham from Galaxie 500's band), Shout Out Louds and The Clientele a listen. Maybe Acetone for some retro stuff (it got an excellent review in Uncut last month). I'll no doubt listen to The Bronx and think it sounds like all their other non-mariachi albums and also complain that The Horrors have more or less remade Primary Colours again. I seem to remember the Moses Sumney track on the last Uncut CD being good also and Tricky still makes interesting albums.

Enter Shikari were always meant to be a joke weren't they? Surely they aren't actually a real band?

Watched them at Leeds 5/6 years ago waiting for Interpol. One of the worst bands I've seen.

As well as today's albums, there are new pre-order tracks from the new albums by Barenaked Ladies ("Canada Dry") and Margo Price ("A Little Pain")

Enter Shikari were always meant to be a joke weren't they? Surely they aren't actually a real band?

Watched them at Leeds 5/6 years ago waiting for Interpol. One of the worst bands I've seen.

They're still going about eleventy albums in though. A joke that got real?

On my list, I missed the new Amadou & Mariam album, which seems to be out, and also Phoebe Bridges, who seems to be a major label attempt at something.

Totally forgot the Amadou & Mariam, which came out this week and is rather marvellous! Both Luna releases very good too - the EP is purely instrumental tracks, full length album is more their standard thing, atmospheric, slightly shoegazey indie pop with Dean Wareham's vocals.

See that Wild Beasts are knocking it on the head. Think it's for the best after their synthpop turn.

Not entirely surprised by that. I thought their first two albums were by far their best and, yeah, the synthpop didn't work.

The Amandou and Mariam album is topper, thanks

It is. I wasn't quite as keen on Folila so pleased they're on form. As for other stuff:

Wand's album is very good (the final two songs, especially), sounds like they could sell more of this than anything they've done previously.
Brix & the Extricated is pleasant enough. Some old Fall songs, some new stuff. By no means essential!
Hiss Golden Messenger is up to the usual standard, not sure it's a great leap forward or anything.
Acetone's compilation is really good. A bit Low-esque at points, kind of laidback psychedelia.

Last edited:
I've no doubt this makes me incredibly uncool, but I am rather enjoying the new Reverend & The Makers album. I'd liked their debut but wasn't a big fan of anything they've done since but I like this one.

Back