New Music Releases Thread

Dan Baje AKA Destroyer is back with new album on 20th October, first two releases from it have been great, his voice is incredible I reckon. Also playing Cluny on 6th December.

So, stuff I've listened to:

'Hex' by Bark Psychosis - originally released in 1994, I managed to miss out first time round. This lives midway between post-rock and shoegaze. Very good, possibly pioneering!
'Electric Trim' by Lee Ranaldo - I really like this but I usually like spoken song albums.
''Dedicated to Bobby Jameson' by Ariel Pink - clearly Ariel Pink as it's low-fi bonkersville. However, there's a poppier cut to his 2017 jib, which I like.
'Folksinger Vol. 2' by Willie Watson - traditional folk songs reinterpreted by the ex-Old Crow Medicine Show man. Entertaining!
'Deer Tick Vol 1' and 'Deer Tick Vol 2' by Deer Tick - Vol 1 is slower and more introspective, Vol 2 is the rockier, boozier album, by and large. Both good in their own way!
'Derevaun Seraun' by Kiran Leonard - this is really good, largely piano and strings/woodwind based. Only five songs, three clocking in at over 7 mins long. The titles are daft but you don't lose interest at all. My favourite of the week (with some strong competition).

Been very much enjoying debut album by Tiny Magnetic Pets, debris / deluxe.
It's unashamedly Kraftwerk like ( 2 tracks feature Wolfgang Flur on guest vocals ) but with female vocals a la Stereolab / saint ettienne.
Their supporting OMD at the sage for anybody who may be going.

There's a new track, Gaslighter, by Worriers on Spotify this week. It's their third track of the summer (Future Me, The Possibility) and I've liked all three - new album out in 2 weeks. Bit of a Weakerthans vibe to their stuff, if you like that kind of thing.

That sounds like very early stuff from The Bangles circa this album that was obtained in LA before they became popular.
Logon or register to see this image

Thank my Welsh Man City supporting mate, I'd not have gone to see them without him and his post rock instincts and his lack of knowledge of today's music scene (ditto, him going to see WH Lung while I trotted off to see Let's Eat Grandma, who were, to be fair, very good indeed).

As far as albums are concerned:

David Ramirez' website calls him indie Americana. Pretty much nail on head! Very listenable.

Micah P Hinson remains one of the ultimate should be massive but isn't artists. The new album is marvellous (I'm going to suggest it'll be in my yearly top 5), part Richard Hawley, part early Lambchop, part Tindersticks, mostly Hinson... his best in a few years (possibly ever but I'd have to severely dissect his back catalogue).

Thank you for that introduction, I love his sound.

Giving him a whirl. he's on at the Cluny early December, so if he is any good, i'll pop along as well.

I'm with @James on this one. It's absolutely brilliant. It's a great 80's style pop record but superb lyrics. Highlights are Runnin out of luck, true lies and the duet strangers kiss with Angel Olsen.
I've got tickets for Cluny and absolutely can't wait. Hope you enjoy it.

Morrissey's new single - what a pleasant surprise. Having got heartily sick of the hefty waster I have to say I really like his new single - sounds fresh, bouncy and trademark funny lyrics. Not a triumphant return but a good song.

So, new releases for tomorrow... quite a few this week. In no particular order (sort of alphabeticalish):

Chris Hillman, Cold Specks, Black Country Communion, Cut Copy, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Hiss Golden Messenger, Fergie, Enter Shikari!, Jaws of Love (solo project form Local Natives bloke), Leon Russell, Lights, Linda Perhacs, Luna (x2, one album, one EP), Macklemore, METZ, Moses Sumney, Noah Gndersen, Shout Out Louds, Satyricon, Sleeping With Sirens, Stephen Stills and Judy Collins, The Clientele, The Bronx, The Horrors, The Killers, Tricky, Van Morrison, Wolves in the Throne Room, Chelsea Wolfe, Acetone (compilation called 1992-2001), Wand.

The Bronx and The Horrors have both named their album V because it's their fifth album (unless you count Mariachi El Bronx, in which case it's album 8 for The Bronx). There are 5 or 8 obvious highlights there for me.

So, new releases for tomorrow... quite a few this week. In no particular order (sort of alphabeticalish):

Chris Hillman, Cold Specks, Black Country Communion, Cut Copy, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Hiss Golden Messenger, Fergie, Enter Shikari!, Jaws of Love (solo project form Local Natives bloke), Leon Russell, Lights, Linda Perhacs, Luna (x2, one album, one EP), Macklemore, METZ, Moses Sumney, Noah Gndersen, Shout Out Louds, Satyricon, Sleeping With Sirens, Stephen Stills and Judy Collins, The Clientele, The Bronx, The Horrors, The Killers, Tricky, Van Morrison, Wolves in the Throne Room, Chelsea Wolfe, Acetone (compilation called 1992-2001), Wand.

The Bronx and The Horrors have both named their album V because it's their fifth album (unless you count Mariachi El Bronx, in which case it's album 8 for The Bronx). There are 5 or 8 obvious highlights there for me.
GY!BE is the obvious highlight for me. And probably Wand. Any other recommendations?

Back