New Music Releases Thread

I really enjoyed Broken Social Scene's album. It's the first album I've heard of theirs so I'll go back and listen to a couple of the older ones judging from what's been said in here. Japanese Breakfast was enjoyable as well.

Brockhampton album is a gem. You may like it @Arkle if you enjoy the occasional experimental hip hop album. First song on the album isn't great but it changes sound dramatically after that song for the better. Top five hip hop album of the year so far.

Things I have mostly listened to:

The Deslondes - a hanger on from a week or three back. Ex-members of Hurray for the Riffraff doing sort of old time rock and roll with a bit of New Orleans thrown in. @Mick Dundee might like this.
The Dears - it's another Dears album, it sounds like The Dears, it's very good, get over it!
Sheer Mag - patchy! There's some good songs but I'm not sure about the production. They want to be indier than Jandek and more pop than Little Mix at the same time.
Waxahatchee - I think this is the best yet from young Katie Crutchfield. Still indie rock but gels together as an album very well.
Offa Rex - ticks all of the Arklebuds! Basically, an exceptional folk rock album. Best thing by far that The Decemberists have been involved in since The Crane Wife.
John Murry - it's good but because he's set some high standards, good is slightly disappointing for Mr Murry. Hoping it's a grower!
Japanese Breakfast - I really like this. A little bit Grimes, a little bit shoegaze, a lot enjoyable.
Shabazz Palaces - have listened to Quazarz: Born on a Gangster Star thus far with Quazarz vs. The Jealous Machines to come tonight or tomorrow. It's good but, two or three tracks aside, quite low key.

The Deslondes - a hanger on from a week or three back. Ex-members of Hurray for the Riffraff doing sort of old time rock and roll with a bit of New Orleans thrown in. @Mick Dundee might like this.
The Dears - it's another Dears album, it sounds like The Dears, it's very good, get over it!
Sheer Mag - patchy! There's some good songs but I'm not sure about the production. They want to be indier than Jandek and more pop than Little Mix at the same time.
Waxahatchee - I think this is the best yet from young Katie Crutchfield. Still indie rock but gels together as an album very well.
Offa Rex - ticks all of the Arklebuds! Basically, an exceptional folk rock album. Best thing by far that The Decemberists have been involved in since The Crane Wife.
John Murry - it's good but because he's set some high standards, good is slightly disappointing for Mr Murry. Hoping it's a grower!
Japanese Breakfast - I really like this. A little bit Grimes, a little bit shoegaze, a lot enjoyable.
Shabazz Palaces - have listened to Quazarz: Born on a Gangster Star thus far with Quazarz vs. The Jealous Machines to come tonight or tomorrow. It's good but, two or three tracks aside, quite low key.

High praise! Does Colin sing on this new one too or is it just Olivia Chaney?

I've been listening to those new Arcade Fire songs in the sun and they've grown on me a lot. The new one with Regine is great. I'm looking forward to the album now.

Listened to Sheer Mag today as well and enjoyed the few songs I listened to. I will definitely go back to them.

Oh I didn't know the Decemberists were involved with something. Hurrah.

High praise! Does Colin sing on this new one too or is it just Olivia Chaney?
Hmm. Listened to a few and I think I'll miss Colin's voice. Will certainly give it a go.

Garage rock, loud guitars

With a tendency toward psychedelic at times...

All of Thee Oh Sees albums are now on Spotify for those that don't know them well

They've seemingly retired Thee and are now just Oh Sees. New Uncut has arrived and has a track from the new album on the CD, very good, to be fair in keeping with most of the rest of the CD.

Last edited:
Tomorrow's album releases include records (in the broad sense of the word) by Avey Tare, Childhood, Cornelius, Dan Croll, Foster The People, Goldfinger, I Set My Friends On Fire, Lana Del Rey, Nine Inch Nails (an EP), The Chris Robinson Brotherhood, Tyler the Creator and Oscar Dowling.

High on quantity, not sure about quality...

Tomorrow's album releases include records (in the broad sense of the word) by Avey Tare, Childhood, Cornelius, Dan Croll, Foster The People, Goldfinger, I Set My Friends On Fire, Lana Del Rey, Nine Inch Nails (an EP), The Chris Robinson Brotherhood, Tyler the Creator and Oscar Dowling.

That's shocking.

Things I have mostly listened to: a few listens

been giving the dears times infinity volume one quite some ear time the last few week there for some reason mate so looking forward to volume two, great band, great songs, great musicians, interesting arrangements imo.

the murry is taking some effort anarl since there's nothing as immediate as southern sky nor epic as little coloured balloons to grab your lughole, like on the graceless age iirc there will keep persevering, as you say there, high standards

Chris Robinson and NIN for me I think.

Tyler's album is called Scum Flower Fuck Boy. Sounds like one for the family.

I might try the Lana del Rey album, I've never listened to one of her albums before but I quite liked her set at Glastonbury a few years ago.

Tyler's album is called Scum Flower Fuck Boy. Sounds like one for the family.

I might try the Lana del Rey album, I've never listened to one of her albums before but I quite liked her set at Glastonbury a few years ago.
It's just called Flower Boy now according to P4K. Haven't listened to anything by him since Goblin.

Back