Mortimer & Whitehouse Gone Fishing

Enjoyed both series and picked up the book expecting an easy, humorous read. Unfortunately, not very humorous and quite heavy on the fishing which I expect there are better books about anyway.

Watching this on iPlayer. Funny and thoughtful in equal measure with some absolutely cracking scenery.

Just watched the one on the Tay when they were about to pack up for the night and were chugging their way back in the boat when Bob got a bite off a salmon. Paul W sent him sprawling in the boat, waders flapping in the air. I was in stitches watching it.

Bit of dust in the eye when they dedicated the episode to John Moses, the owld fella Bob was having a bit crack on with.
Just found a picture of John Moses with his 31l lb “fish of a lifetime”

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
Best thing BBC have done in ages. As well as being funny, beautiful to watch and the easy charisma of both of them, its delightful to watch two men learning to articulate in their own bashful way how much they love each other.

“In the last few seconds of his life, he’ll have seen this container coming towards him. Maybe it said ‘Sunshine Peaches’ on the side or something. The irony being, of course, he didn’t like peaches.”

Absolutely cracked me up talking about his dad's death in a road crash when he was young. So sad and funny.

Best thing on telly by a mile.

Last edited:
It will be scripted and they will do retakes too. For example the casting accident might have happened off camera and was funny so they do it again to make sure it’s just right for telly.

Bob is just funny I love his stories and it’s worth a watch.

Watched the Barbel fishing on the Wye. Loved it.
Needs to get that rod tip up in the air, that fish could have smashed him at the net.

Do any of you think that Mortimer looks like Stewart Donald, definite see a resemblance.

Just friendship on the riverbank and always makes me want to get my rods out.
If I have more time that’s what I will be doing more.

Back