More ‘Hundred’ fuckwittery

I doubt that any cricketer would disagree that we need ways of attracting youngsters into sport, any sport not just cricket. You could put T20 on fta if watching on tv was the solution so why the need for the hundred? Attendance at T20 has grown immensely in recent years so why the need for a new costly unproven format which is inaccessible to a large % of the population.

I doubt that any cricketer would disagree that we need ways of attracting youngsters into sport, any sport not just cricket. You could put T20 on fta if watching on tv was the solution so why the need for the hundred? Attendance at T20 has grown immensely in recent years so why the need for a new costly unproven format which is inaccessible to a large % of the population.

Yeah I agree I have said from the very beginning of this thread would have preferred a T20 completion on free to air telly, as love T20 and have been saying soo for years and years on this forum.

My issue which I have been trying to get across for a while on this thread is now that unfortunately a T20 competition has been overlooked for ‘The Hundred’ rather than going over old ground we should support a competition that could possibly increase participation.

And i struggle with people wanting it to fail massively, because if it does fail massively that will mean no increased participation.

Yes that will mean a lot of people on here will be right and the ECB will look foolish.

But I don’t care about the ECB or who is right or wrong on this thread.

I care about the longevity of cricket in this country and at the moment people and youngsters playing the game is dropping!
The game is not inaccessible for people wanting to take up the game as plenty of local cricket clubs in this area for the time been anyway!

Last edited:
Didn’t ask me.
Fantastic post.

I got my first Durham membership at 9 year old, I used to go with my cousin (who was 14/15 iirc) and my uncle.

Most of the games I went to were Sunday League games, obviously because I was off school, but even at a young age I loved to go to both formats. I even persuaded my parents to let me skive off school one day to watch a days play of Durham against the touring South Africans.

What I’ve found, which is purely my own opinion gained from my experience, is that live sport, in the flesh, has a particular draw and excitement attached to it that watching on the telly just doesn’t deliver - by taking that opportunity away from hundreds of thousands of people (or 10 counties if you prefer), how do the forums ECB/Hundred fanboys expect to grow the game?

Getting people interested is one thing, but if there are no grounds to go to see it in the flesh AND more importantly, no clubs to play at in your immediate area - as evidenced by Chris Willetts here - Written evidence - Platform Cricket (THYSF) - how exactly will the game be grown?

Fantastic post.

I got my first Durham membership at 9 year old, I used to go with my cousin (who was 14/15 iirc) and my uncle.

Most of the games I went to were Sunday League games, obviously because I was off school, but even at a young age I loved to go to both formats. I even persuaded my parents to let me skive off school one day to watch Durham against the touring South Africans.

What I’ve found, which is purely my own opinion gained from my experience, is that live sport, in the flesh, has a particular draw and excitement attached to it that watching on the telly just doesn’t deliver - by taking that opportunity away from hundreds of thousands of people (or 10 counties if you prefer), how do the forums ECB/Hundred fanboys expect to grow the game?

Getting people interested is one thing, but if there are no grounds to go to AND more importantly, no clubs to play at in your immediate area (as the

What part of “What's not clear about the fact there are more world class on view in domestic T20 than in the hundred?” from Parkside’s post did you not understand?
I started supporting Durham (and England) at 12. Been (unfortunately) absolutely hooked ever since.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree I have said from the very beginning of this thread would have preferred a T20 completion on free to air telly, as love T20 and have been saying soo for years and years on this forum.

My issue which I have been trying to get across for a while on this thread is now that unfortunately a T20 competition has been overlooked for ‘The Hundred’ rather than going over old ground we should support a competition that could possibly increase participation.

And i struggle with people wanting it to fail massively, because if it does fail massively that will mean no increased participation.

Yes that will mean a lot of people on here will be right and the ECB will look foolish.

But I don’t care about the ECB or who is right or wrong on this thread.

I care about the longevity of cricket in this country and at the moment people and youngsters playing the game is dropping!
The game is not inaccessible for people wanting to take up the game as plenty of local cricket clubs in this area for the time been anyway!
The ECB are the ruling body of the game and are riding roughshod over overwhelming public opinion regarding the viability of the hundred. They've already used up £70m in reserves trying to promote the game. If they persist there's a real possibility that they'll bankrupt the game. That's why so many which it to fail before we reach that stage.

The ECB are the ruling body of the game and are riding roughshod over overwhelming public opinion regarding the viability of the hundred. They've already used up £70m in reserves trying to promote the game. If they persist there's a real possibility that they'll bankrupt the game. That's why so many which it to fail before we reach that stage.

Well that’s fair enough, but my opinion is I would rather it be a massive success so that bankruptcy doesn’t happen, the complete opposite happens and the cricket thrives at all levels, from club,through to international level.

You may be right though about the massive risk, as there have a hell of a task increasing participation with soo many other distractions these days that kids would rather do something else with their time rather than play or watch cricket.

I take people’s point about the risk, and the fact they not happy with the ECB, just don’t understand the pettiness of some posters as if they want it to fail to get one over on the ECB or make the ECB look foolish, rather than the bigger picture in my view of trying to get cricket thriving again,

Like I say I could not care less about the ECB.

Last edited:
The point for me was always for youngsters to watch it on the telly get interested in the game, go down to their local club side and take up the game, hence increased take up playing the game.

Which clubs are those then? I notice you ignored my point about the written evidence speaking about there being only enough clubs in inner London to accommodate 0.06% of the primary school population.

Do you just ignore points that don’t suit your agenda?

There are two Hundred teams in London, but there WERE three counties that directly served London, and all of those pretty much sold out their grounds for the Blast. Where are all these new fans going to fit in? And where, as I alluded to above will all of these kids who’ve decided to take up the game go and play?

I see club cricket teams struggling and conceding games more players are needed at youth level and more needs to be done to attract youngsters with all other distractions.

So I’m going to assume here you’re talking about NE clubs conceding games etc, which I agree is a big problem - but how is taking top flight cricket out of the area going to improve that?

Which clubs are those then? I notice you ignored my point about the written evidence speaking about there being only enough clubs in inner London to accommodate 0.06% of the primary school population.

Do you just ignore points that don’t suit your agenda?

There are two Hundred teams in London, but there WERE three counties that directly served London, and all of those pretty much sold out their grounds for the Blast. Where are all these new fans going to fit in? And where, as I alluded to above will all of these kids who’ve decided to take up the game go and play?

So I’m going to assume here you’re talking about NE clubs conceding games etc, which I agree is a big problem - but how is taking top flight cricket out of the area going to improve that?

Well yeah I was talking about local clubs, like I have said a few times my views are based of what I see not what I read.

And local clubs need more people coming too their team which I think is a massive problem.

When I was young local cricket was thriving and there was no top flight cricket in this area then, soo don’t see the connection.

The problem is other distractions now been more favourable over cricket which is a shame.

Well that’s fair enough, but my opinion is I would rather it be a massive success so that bankruptcy doesn’t happen, the complete opposite happens and the cricket thrives at all levels, from club,through to international level.

You may be right though about the massive risk, as there have a hell of a task increasing participation with soo many other distractions these days that kids would rather do something else with their time rather than play or watch cricket.

I take people’s point about the risk, and the fact they not happy with the ECB, just don’t understand the pettiness of some posters as if they want it to fail to get one over on the ECB or make the ECB look foolish, rather than the bigger picture in my view of trying to get cricket thriving again,

Like I say I could not care less about the ECB.
The ECB are already foolish in persisting in what is a high risk venture. It's hardly pettiness to oppose a venture which has a risk of leading to bankruptcy.An independent body has been highly critical of the autocratic governance of ECB- cricket lovers justifiably want them to change. How can you be "couldn't care less" about a body that rules cricket in such a manner?

The ECB are already foolish in persisting in what is a high risk venture. It's hardly pettiness to oppose a venture which has a risk of leading to bankruptcy.An independent body has been highly critical of the autocratic governance of ECB- cricket lovers justifiably want them to change. How can you be "couldn't care less" about a body that rules cricket in such a manner?

Because he’s absolutely seen his arse on this subject but will not allow himself to admit he has got it so wrong.

There is a key difference to opposing a venture in the first place and then once passed wanting it to fail massively. nothing petty in opposing it, but there is wanting it to fail massively which could be to the detriment of the game

Well yeah I was talking about local clubs, like I have said a few times my views are based of what I see not what I read.

And local clubs need more people coming too their team which I think is a massive problem.

When I was young local cricket was thriving and there was no top flight cricket in this area then, soo don’t see the connection.

The problem is other distractions now been more favourable over cricket which is a shame.

So again, just avoiding the topics that don’t suit.

I don’t know why I, or any fucker else for that matter bothers :rolleyes:

There is a key difference to opposing a venture in the first place and then once passed wanting it to fail massively. nothing petty in opposing it, but there is wanting it to fail massively which could be to the detriment of the game
You've admitted that the hundred is a high risk venture which is haemmoraging money to the risk of bankruptcy. Despite this ECB still persist with it. The only way to stop ECB persisting with it is for it not to get an initial response otherwise they'll continue to persist.
Sound enough reason then for wanting it to fail - it's simply too big a risk.
I fully understand long term resentment to ECB because of the past and because they used financial bribes to get the hundred passed initially. They should act in accordance with the wishes of their members and not impose their will upon them using financial incentives. If the only way to get them to clean up their act is for the Hundred to fail then so be it before the whole structure collapses through bankruptcy

If it fails massively they could just drop it after a couple of years. The tournament has been created from scratch so it can easily be canned. Graves' position is up next November so hopefully he'll be out and someone with more sense will replace him and see the Hundred for what it is - an ECB ego trip that is wasting money. Money that could be better spent on other areas of the game.

Last edited:

It's like the ECB are trying to outdo each ridiculous idea with one that's even more ridiculous.

Most of the CC season will be played in the cold if that tweet is true. There is an article in the Cricketer online with Graves saying the counties are designing the schedule for next season. More likely to me that the 1.3 m sweetener the counties received was hush money so that they could publish drivel like that. No way would the counties have wanted this.

It's like the ECB are trying to outdo each ridiculous idea with one that's even more ridiculous.

Most of the CC season will be played in the cold if that tweet is true. There is an article in the Cricketer online with Graves saying the counties are designing the schedule for next season. More likely to me that the 1.3 m sweetener the counties received was hush money so that they could publish drivel like that. No way would the counties have wanted this.
This is typical Graves speak meaning "arrange the county schedule outside the period mid -July to mid -August which is reserved for the hundred" leaving them no option but to schedule T20 late May to early July(lightest nights) leaving CC to the fringes of the season.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to hear the view from the Durham top brass on all of this but the last Members Forum which was cancelled due to the last three days of the Glamorgan match being washed out has still yet to be rearranged even though on October 2 we were promised it would be happening in the words on the website 'shortly'.

Back