More ‘Hundred’ fuckwittery

Ok. The ECB has 80,000 members. We all filled out the survey. Being a Durham member will not constitute you having a say in a ECB members survey.
Yes we all voted for we will travel to see the world's best players in a new and easier format to understand. My views of my 11 year old son was to vote for balls and in 5 or 10 to make going cricket easier and not thinking he is doing a maths exam to work out the score etc.
I am from Taunton a club that sold out for the 1.3 million.
I attend 2 days of test cricket at Edgbaston and any 1 day internationals at Cardiff and Southampton.
The perfect customer for the new competition. I am.prepared to travel to watch the best play.
Do I attend County cricket at Taunton.
1 day of red ball and 1 50/50 under the new floodlights was all. I am not prepared to pay £35 for T20 to watch average county cricketers play.
I will pay to watch 22 of the best players in the hundred, which is why I only really international cricket.
The BBC have 10 games???
That also includes the women's hundred in that total.
Free to air TV??
It is not free it costs £180 a year. Most people do not pay the licence fee anymore myself included, who actually watches free/mainstream TV anymore?
County cricket followers I would say, most of course are over 50.
My son refuses to attend county cricket, he is put off as he feels he is in a old people's care home, he has experience of attending one so the comparison is interesting I thought.
So my summary is let us have the hundred run by the ECB, and you the county cricket followers follow your game.
You will not be missed at the hundred like your not at international cricket.

Ok. The ECB has 80,000 members. We all filled out the survey. Being a Durham member will not constitute you having a say in a ECB members survey.
Yes we all voted for we will travel to see the world's best players in a new and easier format to understand. My views of my 11 year old son was to vote for balls and in 5 or 10 to make going cricket easier and not thinking he is doing a maths exam to work out the score etc.
I attend 2 days of test cricket at Edgbaston and any 1 day internationals at Cardiff and Southampton.
The perfect customer for the new competition. I am.prepared to travel to watch the best play.
1 day of red ball and 1 50/50 under the new floodlights was all. I am not prepared to pay £35 for T20 to watch average county cricketers play.
I will pay to watch 22 of the best players in the hundred, which is why I only really international cricket.
The BBC have 10 games???
Free to air TV??
It is not free it costs £180 a year. Most people do not pay the licence fee anymore myself included, who actually watches free/mainstream TV anymore?
My son refuses to attend county cricket, he is put off as he feels he is in a old people's care home, he has experience of attending one so the comparison is interesting I thought.
So my summary is let us have the hundred run by the ECB, and you the county cricket followers follow your game.

Interesting view, especially the bit about watching quality world class players, I am sure most 11 year olds would prefer to watch Steven Smith, Andre Russell, Jos Buttler and co, rather than Stuart Poynter!

The BBC have 10 games???
Free to air TV??

Anyone able to translate this?

Interesting view, especially the bit about watching quality world class players, I am sure most 11 year olds would prefer to watch Steven Smith, Andre Russell, Jos Buttler and co, rather than Stuart Poynter!
Rather an elitist view I thought. You old folks on an outing from the care home stick to your County Cricket and leave the best and fad stuff to us.

Pah. Of course County Cricket is mainly confined to older people, it's a hard game to watch given the amount of time a full game occupies. But that's a given and we know many more are interested in it than are able to get to the game. We understand that and because of that we accept there is a need for a shorter and more easily watchable format. Myself and others just don't want County Cricket and hence Test cricket to be destroyed in the scramble for £££££

And maybe I am alone in this but I'd rather watch a Poynter than 'the best' who will be a travelling mercenaries who pop overfor a visit and to pick up a big cheque for very little work and with no particular empathy to the region or the supporters of their 'team' for this week.

I really don't want Cricket to become like 'soccer'.

Anyone able to translate this?

I think he he is saying most people who follow county cricket are over 50 and been at a county championship for a youngster is bit like been in a old people’s home! Bit harsh like!
Rather an elitist view I thought. You old folks on an outing from the care home stick to your County Cricket and leave the best and fad stuff to us.

Pah. Of course County Cricket is mainly confined to older people, it's a hard game to watch given the amount of time a full game occupies. But that's a given and we know many more are interested in it than are able to get to the game. We understand that and because of that we accept there is a need for a shorter and more easily watchable format. Myself and others just don't want County Cricket and hence Test cricket to be destroyed in the scramble for £££££

And maybe I am alone in this but I'd rather watch a Poynter than 'the best' who will be a travelling mercenaries who pop overfor a visit and to pick up a big cheque for very little work and with no particular empathy to the region or the supporters of their 'team' for this week.

Yeah I acutually agree and thought while reading it, it was really unfair and a bit insulting to people who watch and pay for county cricket.

However it’s only natural that youngsters will want to watch world class stars than run of the mill county players.

I know when I was about 11 I was watching Chris Tavare on the telly and it was horrendous to watch and he was a test player!!
I am definitely with you on not wanting cricket to be like soccer either!

Last edited:
Strange that, seeing that internatiomal cricket attendances are populated by county cricket followers and club players.

You're welcome to your rounders in popcorn shirts. When the core audience get fed up of watching Peppa Pig costumes in batting pads and gloves, they'll move on to something more grown up. Like Tracey Beaker.

I never understand why cricket supporters over 50 or 60 are considered dinosaurs.

"It's an old man's game " is a common misconception. Most of those so-called dinosaurs probably began watching cricket from a young age. The County Championship is mainly played midweek during the day so a lot of working folk can't attend hence there being quite a few older people there.

There are many season ticket holders in their 80s or even 90s who go to premier league football games but nobody says a word against them.

So the comment about cricket being like a nursing home is wide of the mark.

The BBC have 10 games???
Free to air TV??
The biggest load of shit I've ever seen written on any internet forum, ever. Even worse than the tripe Ratboy bangs out.

Give your head a wobble.

Strange that, seeing that internatiomal cricket attendances are populated by county cricket followers and club players.

You're welcome to your rounders in popcorn shirts. When the core audience get fed up of watching Peppa Pig costumes in batting pads and gloves, they'll move on to something more grown up. Like Tracey Beaker.

While I agree with your first line, your second paragraph shows a lack of awareness of the audience they are trying and need to attract.
I never understand why cricket supporters over 50 or 60 are considered dinosaurs.

"It's an old man's game " is a common misconception. Most of those so-called dinosaurs probably began watching cricket from a young age. The County Championship is mainly played midweek during the day so a lot of working folk can't attend hence there being quite a few older people there.

There are many season ticket holders in their 80s or even 90s who go to premier league football games but nobody says a word against them.

Yep it’s inevitable county championship fans will be of a older generation as the games are on when people of working age are actually at work!

Last edited:
Now that's hardly a voice of fair play as it's not a balanced comparision. There were more world class players in last year's domestic T20 than there are in the hundred. Most 11 year olds won't have access to the hundred because the venues aren't widespread, whereas T20 is. The likes of Butler, and many of the overseas players, are only available on a very limited number of occasions. I wonder also if these hundred superstars will make themselves available for autographs and selfies for hours after the game like true world stars like Stokes and Wood did at the Riverside for T20. Your argument is about as balanced as Mr Graves'.😀

Now that's hardly a voice of fair play as it's not a balanced comparision. There were more world class players in last year's domestic T20 than there are in the hundred. Most 11 year olds won't have access to the hundred because the venues aren't widespread, whereas T20 is. The likes of Butler, and many of the overseas players, are only available on a very limited number of occasions. I wonder also if these hundred superstars will make themselves available for autographs and selfies for hours after the game like true world stars like Stokes and Wood did at the Riverside for T20. Your argument is about as balanced as Mr Graves'.😀

Not sure what your point is there as simply said as a 11 year old would rather watch world class stars than run of the mill county players, was including telly in that point as well.
I know I did when I was 11 and I never went to one live game

Last edited:
Not sure what your point is there as simply said as a 11 year old would rather watch world class stars than run of the mill county players, was including telly in that point as well.
I know I did when I was 11 and I never went to one live game
Sorry thought my point was perfectly clear - your comparison wasn't balanced. What's not clear about the fact there are more world class on view in domestic T20 than in the hundred? Or that hundred is only staged in a limited number of venues?
Furthermore, what evidence is there that a 11 year old is going to drawn to watch a fta hundred game when he's never seen the game being played?
The BBC have 10 games???
Free to air TV??
Your opening sentence confirms the fallacy that the ECB consulted extensively regarding the hundred. ECB members are a very inclusive group already interested in cricket and not in any way represents a fair sample of the whole population. The whole concept of the hundred is supposedly to attract a new following not to preach to the converted.

Last edited:

You’re not alone marra, excellent post.

Sorry thought my point was perfectly clear - your comparison wasn't balanced. What's not clear about the fact there are more world class on view in domestic T20 than in the hundred? Or that hundred is only staged in a limited number of venues?
Furthermore, what evidence is there that a 11 year old is going to drawn to watch a fta hundred game when he's never seen the game being played?

Your opening sentence confirms the fallacy that the ECB consulted extensively regarding the hundred. ECB members are a very inclusive group already interested in cricket and not in any way represents a fair sample of the whole population. The whole concept of the hundred is supposedly to attract a new following not to preach to the converted.

I would think any match under the new hundred between any of the teams would have more quality than a standard T20 match between two counties.

The draft system meant the better players were picked and the average ones were not.

Fantastic post.

I got my first Durham membership at 9 year old, I used to go with my cousin (who was 14/15 iirc) and my uncle.

Most of the games I went to were Sunday League games, obviously because I was off school, but even at a young age I loved to go to both formats. I even persuaded my parents to let me skive off school one day to watch a days play of Durham against the touring South Africans.

What I’ve found, which is purely my own opinion gained from my experience, is that live sport, in the flesh, has a particular draw and excitement attached to it that watching on the telly just doesn’t deliver - by taking that opportunity away from hundreds of thousands of people (or 10 counties if you prefer), how do the forums ECB/Hundred fanboys expect to grow the game?

Getting people interested is one thing, but if there are no grounds to go to see it in the flesh AND more importantly, no clubs to play at in your immediate area - as evidenced by Chris Willetts here - Written evidence - Platform Cricket (THYSF) - how exactly will the game be grown?

Fantastic post.

I got my first Durham membership at 9 year old, I used to go with my cousin (who was 14/15 iirc) and my uncle.

Most of the games I went to were Sunday League games, obviously because I was off school, but even at a young age I loved to go to both formats. I even persuaded my parents to let me skive off school one day to watch Durham against the touring South Africans.

What I’ve found, which is purely my own opinion gained from my experience, is that live sport, in the flesh, has a particular draw and excitement attached to it that watching on the telly just doesn’t deliver - by taking that opportunity away from hundreds of thousands of people (or 10 counties if you prefer), how do the forums ECB/Hundred fanboys expect to grow the game?

Getting people interested is one thing, but if there are no grounds to go to AND more importantly, no clubs to play at in your immediate area (as the
I would think any match under the new hundred between any of the teams would have more quality than a standard T20 match between two counties.

What part of “What's not clear about the fact there are more world class on view in domestic T20 than in the hundred?” from Parkside’s post did you not understand?

Last edited:
Idea: Take the power to sign overseas players for the Blast away from the Counties and have a draft for that. The team ranked 18th from the previous years blast get first pick and so on

The draft system meant the better players were picked and the average ones were not.
In theory it should be but concentrating the quality into limited areas of the country leads it to be only accessible to a small area of the country. It's not accessible to vast areas of the NE, NW nor anywhere South of London.
There are more international players available in T20 than in the hundred and the difference in standard between the domestic players in T20 and the hundred is minimal and certainly won't be discernible to the novice spectator whom the hundred is supposedly aiming to attract. You can't attract them if it's not accessible.

In theory it should be but concentrating the quality into limited areas of the country leads it to be only accessible to a small area of the country. It's not accessible to vast areas of the NE, NW nor anywhere South of London.
There are more international players available in T20 than in the hundred and the difference in standard between the domestic players in T20 and the hundred is minimal and certainly won't be discernible to the novice spectator whom the hundred is supposedly aiming to attract. You can't attract them if it's not accessible.

The point for me was always for youngsters to watch it on the telly get interested in the game, go down to their local club side and take up the game, hence increased take up playing the game.

I see club cricket teams struggling and conceding games more players are needed at youth level and more needs to be done to attract youngsters with all other distractions.
That why I agreed with what you said about schools when I was young I watched cricket on the telly played s little bit at school and played for local club side and my football finished in May, the fact there was no first class county close to me had no bearing at all on me taking up the game and playing it more

Last edited:

Back