McGeady overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post like this make me want to leave this board forever and never come back. However, it appears the SMB is now my junkies spoon

Hate when all you here is people banging on about McGeady saying he should be playing in the championship for me he is a bang average footballer and deserves to be playing in league 1

He is a very good attacking player, scores and assists..

However he is a liability in defence... pity the poor LB who he is supposed to team up with.

His liability in defence is the reason he does not have more caps or is playing for a team in a higher division. Teams generally cannot carry luxury players. I actually think we can in this league, but probably not in the Championship

At his best, he can make something from nothing like no one else in this league, except perhaps Maddison :(
His brain is ahead of the game and his team mates at times.

At his worst, he does too much on the ball, doesn't help defensively quick enough when he loses it and showboats here or there (inc penalty miss) . He can be like that good standard Saturday semi pro who dips into a Sunday league match for fitness and basically takes the piss here or there, because it appears too easy for him.

So the one criticism is discipline to play for the team and not himself at times. The balance of this vs quality end product is around 65-35 in my opinion this season. Maybe 70-30. I'm sure he gets told, if not, he needs to be.

Perhaps his pen miss will do him the world of good. Needs to be a little less cocky. Still an immense talent in this league though.

Nah. Maddison has 6 goals and 5 assists to McGeadys 2 and 2 this season. Last season it was something like 8 and 22 against 14 and 3. But beyond that look at more advanced stats. His through balls per 90, crosses and xGa dwarf mcgeadys. @Johnsafc put up a graphic over the summer (which I can’t find) showing creative output in league one and Maddison’s numbers were FAR better than McGeady’s. To be clear I want him in the side but we’re certainly guilty of overlooking the bad because he has flashes of the extraordinary.

If you go through Marcus Maddison’s twitter media I think he also shared it.

Hate when all you here is people banging on about McGeady saying he should be playing in the championship for me he is a bang average footballer and deserves to be playing in league 1

I can't help but wonder who you would like to see come in to replace him.

He would still be a very good player in The Championship, the only thing going against him now is his age.

Anyway, I wish we had a few more "bang average" footballers like him in our team.

ability wise head and shoulders above anyone at this level

the team is that shite mind he's sometimes guilty of trying to do everything on his own. the blame for that lies with Ross not McGeady though for me

When he plays well its sign of Jack Ross being over-reliant on him.

When he plays badly its Jack Ross's fault for not setting up the team around him properly.

We should just sell him tbh

Mcgeady is our only tactic. Get the ball to Aiden. Every time he gets the ball he has two, sometimes three players around him. Invariably he still manages to do something with it. If we varied things up a bit and had more dangerous attacking players you’d see more from him.

Grigg isn’t in the same league. He’s scored goals at this level on and off across his career as has Charlie wyke. It’s a shit league with shit defenders and shit goalkeepers. There are plenty strikers at this level who score goals that are at their level. He’s a bang average footballer who is out of form and confidence but who even on his day is in a different stratosphere to mcgeady.
Watching Rotherham game I thought that we worked hard at getting it to him when he had only one man on him. Seemed that we managed it quite a few times in the first 30 mins but I was thinking at half time how wasteful he had been.

On a general point - JR strategy appears to be two holding MF which puts huge onus on Gooch and McGeady to create - first half of last season that worked well, but neither McGeady nor Gooch have been at that level for some time now.

Some people shouldn't allowed access to the internet man.
I would agree with that. There are some that behave in ways they never would sat across a table with someone. It appears that distance and anonymity gives them a sense of security and bravado they otherwise wouldn’t have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back