Man City not even having season cards

Unreal the number of people who read something like this and instantly think of a random scenario as to why it wouldn't work.

For the vast majority of people the vast majority of the time this would be a piece of cake. There's a different option for the rest i.e. some of the oldies. What's the problem?
This is the major issue. They need a backup option like printing a barcode or something. We had a similar problem with the euros, went up to Glasgow on the morning on the train, out drinking all day and tickets were on the phone. Ended up having to turn my phone off for an hour orso just to preserve battery to make sure we got into the match. It’s fine for standard home games, but an away game when you’re travelling there and back in a day or a session prior to a home game and you’re struggling.

So it's a major issue, but at the same time it's fine for standard home games which is basically what a season ticket covers.

You managed to travel, go out on the drink all day and still get into the match by switching your phone off for an hour (which presumably would have died later anyway). Not hard is it.

Half this thread probably complained when we got rid of paper booklets.

Last edited:
If its just scanning a barcode via phone, then you'll be able to send a screen shot to another phone

Is it saving the planet though?

With a season card, it's a small bit of plastic that will last forever.

Phones need replacing every few years as the apps become obsolete on older phones, batteries die, need charging & using electric. Metals mined for the batteries etc

I'd argue just keeping the bit of plastic you already have is better for the environment.

It kind of reminds me when the misses was in the body shop, and they pushed her to replace her plastic loyalty card for a new cardboard one. So instead of just keeping something that works, a tree has been chopped down & some plastic disposed of for the sake of trying to be green. When it's the opposite of what they're trying to achieve.
I don’t think it’s the actual action of changing the season cards, it’s changing behaviours. Companies have to reduce their carbon footprint, by going digital instead of producing paper tickets, or plastic cards that is a (very small) way of doing it.

My comment is based upon the way we’re changing as a society rather than season tickets

Unreal the number of people who read something like this and instantly think of a random scenario as to why it wouldn't work.

For the vast majority of people the vast majority of the time this would be a piece of cake. There's a different option for the rest i.e. some of the oldies. What's the problem?

So it's a major issue, but at the same time it's fine for standard home games which is basically what a season ticket covers.

You managed to travel, go out on the drink all day and still get into the match by switching your phone off for an hour (which presumably would have died later anyway). Not hard is it.

I'm an OAP, I have a laptop for internet access and a basic phone for calls and texts only and still use cash, surely suggesting the elderly have to change their ways or be excluded
is ageism and probably illegal

Annoying how smart phones are pretty much essential. Yes - you don’t have to have one. But if you want a job or to do anything in society it appears you do.
My Credit Card with Virgin went App only several months ago
I don’t think it’s the actual action of changing the season cards, it’s changing behaviours. Companies have to reduce their carbon footprint, by going digital instead of producing paper tickets, or plastic cards that is a (very small) way of doing it.

My comment is based upon the way we’re changing as a society rather than season tickets
Which is right.
My firm is now offering incentives to us in the Salesforce to get our clients to go paperless

Eh? It’s fine for those 3pm ones where you just go out to the match and back home again. But if you want to go out before or go straight from work or have a session before a night game for instance it’s going to lead to phones dying and problems being caused.

My phone is brand new so has maximum battery life, is one of the newest available and we were able to charge it on the train (not all trains allow this) and we only just made it to the game with battery to spare, so those with older phones would have struggled - my mates died so he had to transfer his ticket to mine to get in.

All I’m saying is that they need a contingency option available, such as printing at home, especially for those times you aren’t just going from your home to the match and back. We know they won’t stop at just season tickets and it will be away tickets before too long, which will be difficult on battery life for some.

Spurs are also using phones for stadium access this season, every fan has had to upload photo ID evidence from a passport or driving license etc.

I think that one of the reasons that Spurs are using this system is to tackle ticket touts who sell tickets onto agencies who then sell them on to Spurs fans at ridiculously high prices.

As an example 2 tickets v Manchester City are over £1000.00 for the lower tier 🤪

Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester City Tickets | 15/08/2021 | 1BoxOffice.com

https://ask.tottenhamhotspur.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016386499-ID-Validation-FAQs

Last edited:
They’re just cutting down on waste and spend aren’t they. What’s the point printing 30k plastic cards if people don’t need them.

they’ve already said there will be an option for those without a smart phone.

I wish SAFC would do this. It was so much easier using my phone for the Playoff Semi-final than having to mess around with a ticket or season card.

I'm hoping it will be an option to be honest.

Not unknown for a phone to just die suddenly and need a charge. What do you do there if you dont have a charger handy?

Easier for me to do on my phone but sounds like an absolute fuck on to get my two under 9's in tbh. Imagine I would have to push one through before trying to find a second code, then push them through then find another code for me to get through.

Still prefer paying by cash for transactions inside the ground though or anywhere tbh.

Back