Make An Indian Curry From Scratch - Al's Kitchen

Chicken Dansak and Chicken Tikka Coriander and Lemon Achari Mirch are my favourites ...every Monday night when I'm off work is a curry night.

Ceylon and Kashmir lush too

I've got a Bosch blender...knacked the base doing Garlic and Ginger paste, now just use the hand blender bit...takes me about 3 hours to knock up the base gravy and cannit be bothered to wait for anything to cool down properly.

Oh and tip of the day ....water down your base gravy and heat it up ready for use

What ratio of water to base is best? Just knocked up a batch of it tonight ahead of making a couple of curries tomorrow.

What ratio of water to base is best? Just knocked up a batch of it tonight ahead of making a couple of curries tomorrow.
Not ratio, because it depends on your batch consistency.

I would say like like Heinz Tomato soup or a bit thinner.....let it reduce, producing a lush curry. :)

If I could add my two cents, reddit have some great cookery subreddits, that suggest some great recipes, my next attempt will be this one>

Logon or register to see this image
I had to watch that again as I couldn't understand what Goat Chicken was. :lol:
Looks canny though - Have you seen Al's teriyaki chicken? Its outstanding.

Problem with reddit and the likes is that its fully of yanks, and I just don't trust that its not simply shite.

I'm gonna have a stab at Chilli Chicken Masala today... proper Easter fare. Anyone else tried this yet?

I tried varying the Dupiaza recipe a few weeks back in an attempt to make a Jeera/Zeera with great results. I added a couple of large teaspoons of cumin seeds, frying them right at the start. As bizarre as it might sound, I also threw in about half a jar of chopped up sun dried tomatoes. It was an absolute revelation - best curry I've made to date.

I'm gonna have a stab at Chilli Chicken Masala today... proper Easter fare. Anyone else tried this yet?

I tried varying the Dupiaza recipe a few weeks back in an attempt to make a Jeera/Zeera with great results. I added a couple of large teaspoons of cumin seeds, frying them right at the start. As bizarre as it might sound, I also threw in about half a jar of chopped up sun dried tomatoes. It was an absolute revelation - best curry I've made to date.

Had it last week , it’s one of our favourites

And the new base recipe is canny , no condensed milk used though @Wilfy opted for the evap milk instead

Just made up a batch of base gravy using the old recipe but, even so, I'm a great believer in the old adage "if it wain't bust, don't fix it". Is the gravy noticeably different?

Not really , it doesn’t taste of much anyway just a vehicle for the end recipe imo. The recipe is a bit daft really - half a carrot etc , like a whole carrot would make it nasty

Anyone made the Pasanda? The wife fancies something different and mild.

Gonna try Bhajis the night anarl
They Ceylon is a cracking mild one too, dead easy.
Can't remember making the Pasanda though.

Had a lamb podina again the other day, only the 2nd time I've made it, but I threw all the stock in from the pre-cooked lamb, which changed the flavour and made a very rich, slightly heavy sauce. It was fantastic.
Tip though, if you use a pressure cooker for lamb, it does render away all of the fat, so the sauce is very oily.
Al's pre cooked lamb done in the instant pot for 30 mins was increadible. Lamb fell apart.
Really thinking about doing lamb shanks with the same ingredients, and then making a rice dish to go with it and some bombay potatoes.

Last edited:

Back