• 1 1/2 tsp garam masala
  • Coriander leaves
  • 3 birds eye chillis
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1 tsp ground turmeric
  • 1 tsp chilli powder
  • 2 tsp lemon juice

Basically fried the onion, oil and chicken til it browned then threw it all in a slow cooker for 3 hours. Canny.

I must be the only person who doesn't have a problem with the curry smell. Extractor on, door ajar and jobs a goodun.

The biggest pain about the base gravy is waiting for it to cool before blending it, otherwise the hand blender overheats and melts

I must be the only person who doesn't have a problem with the curry smell. Extractor on, door ajar and jobs a goodun.

The biggest pain about the base gravy is waiting for it to cool before blending it, otherwise the hand blender overheats and melts
Ive never waited. Can't see why you'd need to tbh. You have to have some serious palate to be able to tell the difference.

Anyone still knocking these up? Currently on with a chicken bhuna
Ill start another batch in a few months when the weather starts to cool down.

Every week, Ceylon is the current favourite
Definitely one of mine too - its mega easy to make too, which also helps.
Tbh, I don't follows Als quantities of coconut and tomato though - I don't have coconut milk and powder - I just hoy a full tin of milk in, a full tub of base gravy, then however much tomato I think it needs to be right.

Ive never waited. Can't see why you'd need to tbh. You have to have some serious palate to be able to tell the difference.
I burned one hand blender out doing it hot, so now I wait. Otherwise I wouldn't.

I've bought one of those "Instant Pot" electric pressure cookers - so in future I'll be doing my base gravy in that. 10mins instead of an hour, which is nice. Also for the pre-cooked Lamb. Be pretty cool to be able to do Lamb Rogan in 30 mins from scratch eh?

I burned one hand blender out doing it hot, so now I wait. Otherwise I wouldn't.
How? Not sure why the food temp would make a difference. Surely colder = thicker, so more likely to burn out the motor?

Edit: I did think about the daft purchase of one of those! :lol:

Never done his one I used a book called the curry secret.

Have to make base sauce etc so same tastes lovely and easy to do just time consuming doing the base sauce and makes your house stink

How? Not sure why the food temp would make a difference. Surely colder = thicker, so more likely to burn out the motor?

Edit: I did think about the daft purchase of one of those! :lol:
Er, when the liquid is over 100c compared to 20c, the motor burned out. It was a cheapo one, though.

Can you use them as a slow cooker too?.
instant pots? Yes.
Or you can use the main function and not even need to slow cook and get the same outcome. That's kinda the point of them

Er, when the liquid is over 100c compared to 20c, the motor burned out. It was a cheapo one, though.

instant pots? Yes.
Or you can use the main function and not even need to slow cook and get the same outcome. That's kinda the point of them
Might get one in the next sale. :lol:

Every week, Ceylon is the current favourite
Chicken Dansak and Chicken Tikka Coriander and Lemon Achari Mirch are my favourites ...every Monday night when I'm off work is a curry night.

Ceylon and Kashmir lush too

I've got a Bosch blender...knacked the base doing Garlic and Ginger paste, now just use the hand blender bit...takes me about 3 hours to knock up the base gravy and cannit be bothered to wait for anything to cool down properly.

Oh and tip of the day ....water down your base gravy and heat it up ready for use

Last edited:
There's a book called The Curry Guy by an American called Dan Toombs - he lives in Yarm and is obsessed about British Indian restaurant food. Usual takeaway favourites and some fantastic British Asian recipes. It's the best curry book I've seen so far.

Back