Make An Indian Curry From Scratch - Al's Kitchen

My two penneth is to save a load of time by buying the frozen crushed garlic and ginger from Asda. No additives and as good as fresh.

Also be sure to make the onion paste which goes in at the end. It's extra chew on but makes a big difference.

I also add chicken bones and typical stock ingredients like celery, carrots and potatoes to the base broth to get even more depth of flavour. Be sure to fish out all of the chicken bones before blending and let it simmer for a good couple of hours before the blend.

My two penneth is to save a load of time by buying the frozen crushed garlic and ginger from Asda. No additives and as good as fresh.
Also be sure to make the onion paste which goes in at the end. It's extra chew on but makes a big difference
Onion Paste?

Thanks for the tip about frozen garlic and ginger - I hate making that stuff

Onion Paste?

Thanks for the tip about frozen garlic and ginger - I hate making that stuff

The frozen stuffs made by Taj by the way.

You basically get three diced onions and half a dozen garlic cloves, blend them with just enough water to get the mix spinning in the blender. Put the mix in a pan and mix constantly on a high heat for a good 15 minutes or so. As the water evaporates the mix should resemble the appearance of bread dough. Avoid burning or caramelisation at all costs. You then use a golf ball amount of this in the final cooking stages for your curries. Tastes pretty rubbish on its own, even a little soapy, but really adds extra depth to the base sauce flavour.

I fancy giving this a crack, some lovely looking bait has been knocked up on this thread!

The only thing is that I don't have much freezer space and it looks like a lot is produced from that base gravy recipe. Probably a stupid question but could I simply just half the ingredients to produce a smaller batch with the same outcome? I've never cooked a curry from scratch that's all :lol:

I fancy giving this a crack, some lovely looking bait has been knocked up on this thread!

The only thing is that I don't have much freezer space and it looks like a lot is produced from that base gravy recipe. Probably a stupid question but could I simply just half the ingredients to produce a smaller batch with the same outcome? I've never cooked a curry from scratch that's all :lol:
Aye.

Yes.

Yes mate. That's definitely a stupid question.

Yep, just make half as much. And as mentioned, buy bags of frozen garlic and ginger to save time

He's done a couple of "no-base" curries too, if you have a look on the channel. Sorry, I can't remember which ones

He's done a balti version of that - I've just had it. Its really really good. The balti style definitely lifts it - its almost like cheating.
Agreed, it's a step up from the regular garlic chilli chicken (which is very nice in itself). Probably my new favorite.

Back