Local press becoming obsessed with our home support

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been plenty articles questioning Short and Grayson and there will continue to be...Which bit of the two articles you quote is wrong btw? Both seem pretty accurate to me tbh.

The 'this is the time the black cats need their supporters more than ever'. Patronising, condescending drivel.

This is a time that the supporters need their club more than ever to show them their support is valued, worthwhile and something to believe in.

For the past decade the club has had, on average, 40k people through the gates every other week. We have been served up relegation battle after relegation battle, managerial upheaval, off field upheaval, player arrests (more than once), a player conviction, our best players sold and not replaced, a fascism debacle, a stadium slowly depreciate and of course a relegation. And that decade of dross was on the back of three relegations within a decade. And now we are second bottom of the second tier, on course to match our worst ever season.

No trophies. No European football. We've a handful of derby wins and a League cup final defeat to show for our support.

These journalists can do me a favour with the 'need us more than ever' shite.

A lot of Sunderland fans are as well though. See loadsa threads about it on here "Loadsa empty seats" "Why don't we shut (insert part of the stadium) off?"

Tin hat on but it helped the mags last season playing in front of a full house every week it makes a better atmosphere and pressure on the ref
We might have had full houses if we'd spent £50M, had a decent manager and were top of the league.

It's a chicken and egg situation (sort of)

James Hunter. The Chronicle.

This is the time the Black Cats need their supporters more than ever.

A mistake or a misplaced pass or two, and the grumbles will start.

the reaction of the fans can either make that task easier or more difficult

Phil Smith, The Echo

The mood invariably is at best flat, at worst vicious.

There have been players, teams and managers booed over the years, but ironic cheers for successful passes marked a new level of discontent.

Anyone else get sick of reading about ourselves? And all the while they hint at issues with our support and dare not utter a jot about Grayson, Short or Bain.

To me the SOL crowd is generally patient and desperate to get behind the team. We gave Moyes an age and still there's no hint of turning on Simple Si.

I must just visit a different ground to these press jobbers.

I'd say our home support is generally one of the least patient home support in the country. I realise we've been shite for 40 years but everyone turns up at the ground waiting for things to go wrong these days. I don't think either journalist is suggesting that we turn up baying for blood every week but it only takes 3 or 4 misplaced passes and that's it. The chanting and singing generally stops after 15 minutes unless we've scored (give or take the odd Ha'way the lads chant when we get a corner) and the only audible noise thereafter comes from frustration because after 15 minutes we've generally accepted that nowt's changed, we're still shite and the players have no hope.

After 10 months of this, I suspect the majority of the players start believing they're perhaps all shite and have no hope. That can't help.

The 'this is the time the black cats need their supporters more than ever'. Patronising, condescending drivel.

This is a time that the supporters need their club more than ever to show them their support is valued, worthwhile and something to believe in.

For the past decade the club has had, on average, 40k people through the gates every other week. We have been served up relegation battle after relegation battle, managerial upheaval, off field upheaval, player arrests (more than once), a player conviction, our best players sold and not replaced, a fascism debacle, a stadium slowly depreciate and of course a relegation. And that decade of dross was on the back of three relegations within a decade. And now we are second bottom of the second tier, on course to match our worst ever season.

No trophies. No European football. We've a handful of derby wins and a League cup final defeat to show for our support.

These journalists can do me a favour with the 'need us more than ever' shite.

The elephant in the room is that they are not wrong and most of the current players had sod all to do with the mess of the past. #justsaying

I’m sick to death of reading/hearing people blame the fans for the shit show the team keep slapping us all in the face with

Poor, poor footballers being criticized for not winning a game at home in 2017, or for not being able to do basic things like control a football or make a 5 yard pass

I see. Fans fault basically then. Would you advocate an empty stadium, similar to that Barca match, so the players, could not be pressured into performing?

Ironically better than a stadium with fans in that boo the players or give sarcastic cheers when a pass is completed so yes.

I’m sick to death of reading/hearing people blame the fans for the shit show the team keep slapping us all in the face with

Poor, poor footballers being criticized for not winning a game at home in 2017, or for not being able to do basic things like control a football or make a 5 yard pass

Most of them have only been here a few weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ironically better than a stadium with fans in that boo the players or give sarcastic cheers when a pass is completed so yes.

Target is nearly achieved, lose to Bristol city and Bolton next week, should see an empty stadium and safc commence on the march to fourth bottom, with the pressure off

Because these so called professionals get paid to write about our club - every aspect - for actual local newspapers.

They refuse to criticise Grayson, are terrified of Bain and only occasionally mention Short.

Yet they each write 2 or 3 articles a week about our home support.

The Chronicle had a front page splash mere weeks ago calling out Mike Ashley because he hadn't given poor Rafa enough cash. Yet they and the Echo see fit to avoid the real issues at SAFC and write about our support instead.

What is wrong with them? There was about 20,000 silent souls there on Saturday. Not some baying mob as these paranoid fuckers are making out.

how can you write about bain or short who avoid the press? they can see and hear the team / Grayson.

The elephant in the room is that they are not wrong and most of the current players had sod all to do with the mess of the past. #justsaying
Could you just answer this straight question. Is there any scenario that will occur, that would lead you to criticise the players, manager and owner, instead of having snide digs at the fans?

that isn't an elephant in the room. The players that are at the club are not good enough to be at a club like Sunderland. And they are very much to do with the mess of the current.

@G Force

Fans fault, empty stadium. This fella is a one off

that isn't an elephant in the room. The players that are at the club are not good enough to be at a club like Sunderland. And they are very much to do with the mess of the current.
Fans fault, I'm afraid with old bagpuss.

Been here many a time with him. He is on a wind up or ignorant?

Simple

I don't know if you just skipped / couldn't make the game on Saturday or if you haven't been this season. My suggestion though, if your circumstances permit would be to get along to a game and sample the atmosphere because it's no venomous pit. Saturday was just quiet with the odd roar if we looked like breaking forward etc. There was no audible booing of players or abuse from where I sit. Moments before the equaliser there was the ironic cheers following a 5 minute spell of breathtaking incompetence. Thats was it, 10 seconds of light ribbing. The way the manager and media are going on you'd think it was rabid when that's a million miles from reality.

Our home form has been drastic for at least 5/6 years. It's at the stage where making the 80 mile round trip to watch absolute shite isn't in any way enjoyable any more. Fuck anyone who slags off our fans.

This.

Plus has any club been twatted as much of mediocre opposition at home as much as us (in recent years)?

Villa twatted us 4-1 iirc under Poyet and it was 4-0 at HT. Palace walloped us 4-1 under Pardew.

Southampton 1-5 at home last season. Thats just of the top of my head. Not to mention no home win since last December. Also, when was the last time we come from behind at home to win? Probs Chelsea in the 3-2 but that's the only one I can think of in years.

I'd say our home support is generally one of the least patient home support in the country. I realise we've been shite for 40 years but everyone turns up at the ground waiting for things to go wrong these days. I don't think either journalist is suggesting that we turn up baying for blood every week but it only takes 3 or 4 misplaced passes and that's it. The chanting and singing generally stops after 15 minutes unless we've scored (give or take the odd Ha'way the lads chant when we get a corner) and the only audible noise thereafter comes from frustration because after 15 minutes we've generally accepted that nowt's changed, we're still shite and the players have no hope.

After 10 months of this, I suspect the majority of the players start believing they're perhaps all shite and have no hope. That can't help.
Disagree entirely.

Hundreds of people (who sit near me at least) simply pay their money and want to get behind the team.

This "fans groaning and jeering" coverage in the press is a lazy arsed way of avoiding questionning the manager and CEO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back