Leaving a light on when you go out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aren't most kips done while you're at work ?
I'm comfortably overlooked back and front so doubt they'd chance it
My kitchen patio door has gone dicky, unlocks itself sometimes
Thought I was getting forgetful but it's definitely the lock

Will help Belinda Carlisle burgle your house.

Brilliant, over so many heads. wad
A feckin big snarling dog helps them consider their options

Wouldn't know how to, and probably can't anyway (post it on here). My wife (nope) showed me 2 photos the other day from a work colleagues house, someone had broken in a back window. The first photo was of her rottweiler (yes, the canine) and the second photo was a trail of blood along the passage to said widow.

Last edited:

Ours was during the day. They used a similar colour and sized car to the one my ex had. A neighbour had walked his dogs past the house. He saw the car but just presumed the ex had got an early finish.

Or someone’s pinching the contents of you bag of frozen peas one at a time ?

Remember going on holiday with my nana and granda when I was young. They had a brick fireplace that ran on past the chimney breast to the front wall. Loads of people had them. The wooden top lifted off so my granda put the telly and video recorder under there.

Going away for a week so you hide owt of value :lol:

I leave a light on. How does a burglar know if you’re sat quietly in a chair or not? Surely they’d just move on to a dark house? When I was a student we use for leave the telly on.
You can ask Alexa to play random noises to deter them now.

Last edited:
I have to say I leave a light on. It was something my parents used to do too. Mind, they also used to leave the radio on for the budgie. 😀 My Dad was obsessed with turning the telly off on a Sunday afternoon (when there was nothing on to watch that he fancied) just to stop it 'overheating'. My Mother started turning the pilot light on the heating off every night until the heating engineer told her to pack it in.

I leave a light on. How does a burglar know if you’re sat quietly in a chair or not? Surely they’d just move on to a dark house? When I was a student we use for leave the telly on.
You can ask Alexa to play random noises to deter them now.

I’ve just googled this and another option is Alexa can send you alerts when it hears sounds like broken glass. And Amazon state the device doesn’t listen to you.

I’ve just googled this and another option is Alexa can send you alerts when it hears sounds like broken glass. And Amazon state the device doesn’t listen to you.

it has to listen to you, how else would it respond when you say it’s name 😅
Course it listens to you. How would it know to respond to “Alexa” when you shout at it if it wasn’t listening to you ?

I think my alexa is broken! It’s f***ing listening to me

Leaving the lights on would be fine for opportunist burglars.
The problem these days is, it's more planned than anything else when you get burgled, in terms of burglars/thieves tend to get to know the movements of people.

We always leave the lights on, though, but then again there's nearly always someone in around about when darkness sets in.
Like someone said, it's best to have nosey neighbours who actually see something rather than those who see nothing after your house has been ransacked, but manage to see anything minor if it impacts them.

The days of leaving your doors open, eh?
The days of leaving your doors open was mainly because nobody has anything worth stealing and burglary was frowned upon and dealt with, with tough sentences in jail which were equally tough, with no mod cons.

we do and leave a (light) timer on when we go away. we're in a fairly low crime area but are on the quiet end of a busy street so a fairly easy target from an opportunist.

we also forget to lock our doors regularly and leave fairly expensive items around the back of the house, which anyone could take when we are out, so we're very bipolar in this respect 😂

Leaving the lights on would be fine for opportunist burglars.
The problem these days is, it's more planned than anything else when you get burgled, in terms of burglars/thieves tend to get to know the movements of people.

We always leave the lights on, though, but then again there's nearly always someone in around about when darkness sets in.
Like someone said, it's best to have nosey neighbours who actually see something rather than those who see nothing after your house has been ransacked, but manage to see anything minor if it impacts them.

The days of leaving your doors open,
eh?
The days of leaving your doors open was mainly because nobody has anything worth stealing and burglary was frowned upon and dealt with, with tough sentences in jail which were equally tough, with no mod cons.

About 7 or 8 years ago, my wife and I left the house at the same time & went off to different locations. I came back a few hours later, to find the front door wide open, but her car wasn't in the drive. I went into the house to ask her where she had parked her car. No sign of her, so I rang her but she told me that she was still miles away. Seemingly, when we had both left the house earlier that day, we both thought the other one had closed & locked the door. But it was wide open all day. Unbelievably, no one seemed to have gone in to the house. I'm not so sure we'd be that lucky were it to happen again.

About 7 or 8 years ago, my wife and I left the house at the same time & went off to different locations. I came back a few hours later, to find the front door wide open, but her car wasn't in the drive. I went into the house to ask her where she had parked her car. No sign of her, so I rang her but she told me that she was still miles away. Seemingly, when we had both left the house earlier that day, we both thought the other one had closed & locked the door. But it was wide open all day. Unbelievably, no one seemed to have gone in to the house. I'm not so sure we'd be that lucky were it to happen again.
You have been massively lucky in that respect.
My wife's left the front door key in on a few occasions.
A young kid knocked at the door to tell her she'd left them in.

One night when we all went to bed the front door had blown open. It can't have latched properly.
We got up to find our dog (at the time....border collie/german shepherd cross) sitting at the bottom of the stairs just looking out. Basically either guarding it or contemplating doing a runner but not having the bottle, which was weird when you consider he took any opportunity to take flight if someone opened the door while he was behind them and we'd have to trawl the streets to catch up with the git.

But he was a good house dog and guard dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back