Jeff Stelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Have to admit to watching the BBC red button, turning the volume down, and having BBC Scotland's 'Open All Mics' on if I'm not at a game. Only chose the Beeb as the writing on their vidiprinter is the biggest.

From what I've seen, the Sky panel are such slavish arselickers of the top 5 or 6 clubs, if Jeff Stelling left, the only thing that made it watchable would've gone.

I watch Sky's as well because far more professional, I think that is the reason,rather than who presents it.

It same when people talk about pundits at the match, people tune in to watch the match,not the presenter,not the pundits in the studio, but the match.

People who watch soccer Saturday every week, will not all of sudden stop watching it when Jeff retires.

That's not to say Jeff is a great watch,because he is,but the football is the main watch and always will be.
So if the football is the main thing then why does no-one watch the other two?

Soccer Saturday is Jeff Stelling. He's made it an institution no-one else. No-one watched it before he came along. When Sky do midweek ones without Jeff it isn't the same. A charismatic anchor man can make all the difference to a successful TV show. It would be like Jim'll Fix It without Jimmy Savile or I'm A Celeb without Ant and Dec.

Last edited by a moderator:
....or in a boozer watching away game n ferking people checking their phones every 2 seconds. Hence "getting beat". Ferking does my tits in. Then got to watch the screen knowing we are going to concede.

Oh god.. what a nightmare- i'd hate watching it in pubs. I have very fast notifications on my phone/watch so if watching a stream I mute that particular game. Sometimes I forget though and the goal comes through then I know whats coming.

Kamara has confirmed he isn't retiring on twitter. Quite like Soccer Saturday if I'm not at the away match or watching it on kodi or down the pub. Handy as fuck keeping up with your bets from across the leagues as well.

Soccer Saturday is Jeff Stelling. He's made it an institution no-one else. No-one watched it before he came along. When Sky do midweek ones without Jeff it isn't the same. A charismatic anchor man can make all the difference to a successful TV show. It would be like Jim'll Fix It without Jimmy Savile or I'm A Celeb without Ant and Dec.
My missus loves it because she thinks he's great. We tried watching it that week his stand in was on and it was boring. Stelling makes that programme and I think it will go the same way as Soccer AM if he leaves

All good things come to an end. It is starting to get stale. Its not so much Jeff, but the 'boys' who are the problem for me. Merson is all 'character' and no knowledge. The other two are geriatric old farts who just constantly spew the rhetoric of "it wasn't like that when I was a player" and offer absolutely NO insightful analysis of anything. The condemning of Silva at Hull was a low point.

I'd hate to see Jeff stay on too long for the risk of him becoming senile like Motson and ruining his legacy.

Replace Jeff with AC Jimbo. get some of the football weekly boys in and maybe a bit of Luke Moore, that would be a superb show imo.

Did I not answer your first question by stating it's more professionally run than the other two.

People will continue to watch Soccer Saturday when he has gone.

I agree the midweek one is not as good without him but still people watch it because they want to follow their team or have a coupon
on,they would not switch over and watch coronation street because Jeff is not on

Last edited:
Come on everyone he's been quality. To keep a show like that fun, when after all it is simply blokes talking about football games that you are normally not interested in and you can't watch, has been an amazing thing. He's done it for ever and it simply won't be the same without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back