Jamie Vardy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best English player going at the minute.

Not defending Vardy, sounds like he behaved like a dickhead but as an old timer who grew up in an era when shortening the name of the country a person came from wasn't deemed particularly racist, is there some kind of publication to tell us what's acceptable and what isn't these days?

I already knew:
Paki-stan was no longer acceptable
It would now appear:
Jap-an isn't acceptable
Is German-y still OK?
Or Thai-land?
What about Scot-land? Or is that now offensive and should be Scottish?
All gets very confusing for us old timers!

Some of them can be quite difficult I imagine. It's when you get people who think 'Paki' is okay because 'Aussie' is that you start to ask questions.

Not defending Vardy, sounds like he behaved like a dickhead but as an old timer who grew up in an era when shortening the name of the country a person came from wasn't deemed particularly racist, is there some kind of publication to tell us what's acceptable and what isn't these days?

I already knew:
It would now appear:
Jap-an isn't acceptable
Is German-y still OK?
Or Thai-land?
Scotch is their preferred moniker there, if it helps.

I already knew:
It would now appear:
Jap-an isn't acceptable
Is German-y still OK?
Or Thai-land?

As a rule, if it's widely used as an insult and/or a term for a people certain appearance (without actually knowing their appearance) then no, it isn't acceptable.

As a rule, if it's widely used as an insult and/or a term for a people certain appearance (without actually knowing their appearance) then no, it isn't acceptable.
But that's the whole point - some of us have no idea what others term an insult.
Before reading this thread I genuinely had no idea that calling somebody from Japan a 'jap' was deemed insulting or racist.

But that's the whole point - some of us have no idea what others term an insult.
Before reading this thread I genuinely had no idea that calling somebody from Japan a 'jap' was deemed insulting or racist.

It's not difficult. If you were to say to someone 'Oi, jap! Walk on! Yeah, Jap! Just walk on, walk on!, and you didn't know him, and you didn't know if he was Japanese, British or some other east asian origin - 99 times out of 100 you'd be saying what you're saying in an offensive manner rather than a friendly manner.

It's not difficult. If you were to say to someone 'Oi, jap! Walk on! Yeah, Jap! Just walk on, walk on!, and you didn't know him, and you didn't know if he was Japanese, British or some other east asian origin - 99 times out of 100 you'd be saying what you're saying in an offensive manner rather than a friendly manner.
But the context of that is that Vardy is behaving like a twat with his tone and manner. But what if I said to somebody I'd just been talking to a jap who was over here from Nissan. Previously I wouldn't have considered that insulting or racist but by the sounds of it, it is.

If he was here he'd be a fans favourite on a Phillips sort of scale. No question whatsoever about that.

It's arguably disrespectful but not racist unless you're the type of person looking to take offence at the slightest thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
How's the new stadium mate?
Only been down the once mate, I don't have any involvement now other than paying for my unused season ticket every season to show support. Family circumstances meant I needed to knock all the travelling on the head.
They look to have done a cracking job though and I gather it's being widely used by the community around which is good.

Only been down the once mate, I don't have any involvement now other than paying for my unused season ticket every season to show support. Family circumstances meant I needed to knock all the travelling on the head.
They look to have done a cracking job though and I gather it's being widely used by the community around which is good.

Good stuff. I saw a few photos of the Benfica friendly, it looked great.
Can you see them being promoted any time soon?

Good stuff. I saw a few photos of the Benfica friendly, it looked great.
Can you see them being promoted any time soon?
Not really, they had to spend a number of years in the Unibond before managing promotion and the wage cap they have will make it difficult to progress much further. It's down to the members really but I get the sense many still don't want to progress further. It will be difficult if they reach conference level to carry on with the current philosophy and members charter and I think that still holds dear for many of them. They want to go on the piss on a Saturday afternoon, have a bit of a sing song and watch a match stood with their mates. Nowt wrong with that but it gets more difficult the higher up you get hence the rows over the televised cup match on Monday.

Thoughts?

Lad just oozing confidence & will fall out of form soon?

Or a quality pacey goalscorer?
Single handedly turned my season around on FIFA when I signed him for Burnley so I reckon he's class

Really come into his own this season.

Its a shame it has taken him so long to develop - as for a player at almost 29 who relies on pace quite a bit, how long will he be this effective?

It may certainly rule him out of playing for a bigger club domestically, as i doubt anyone will be willing to pay what Leicester will understandably want for him.
Not long, I really think Leicester should cash in when summer arrives

But the context of that is that Vardy is behaving like a twat with his tone and manner. But what if I said to somebody I'd just been talking to a jap who was over here from Nissan. Previously I wouldn't have considered that insulting or racist but by the sounds of it, it is.

In that case, it's clear you wouldn't mean offence. I'm sure nobody would kick off about it but it would make some people feel uncomfortable.

It's a bit like replacing the word jap with darkie. People just have to get used to what you shouldn't say.

He is a nasty little scrote, but a canny little player.
Lets not kid ourselves a lot of these young lads who get a lot of wedge think they are the dogs bollocks and give it the big I am, I'm surprised more of them don't get a f***ing pasting. Wilshire comes across the same to me, I'm not a violent lad but would happily snap that little spelk in half. As far as the racist thing goes it is pretty much unacceptable to address someone as Jap, that being said the hysterical media have played their usual part in making this much more of a story than it really is, I mean how often have you heard some thick fucker calling someone and thought to yourself "what a daft prick"

If he was here he'd be a fans favourite on a Phillips sort of scale. No question whatsoever about that.

It's arguably disrespectful but not racist unless you're the type of person looking to take offence at the slightest thing.
God.someone with a bit sense.Vardy the wanker,yes.Vardy the racist,who knows.Fuckin bedwetters again coming out the woodwork.

Leicester have s massive job hanging on to him.
Bags of pace and scores goals.

The signing of the decade.

The context is he thinks someone is trying to cheat at the poker table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back