Jamie Vardy

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'd have here like a shot, love players who make up for a perceived lack of genuine class or ability by being a pain in the arse for defenders and working his bollocks off, reminds me a bit like Ian Wright when he came on the scene, I like him.

Funnily enough that's exactly what type of player I loath :lol: strange how the world works

Indeed he is, but the fact that he failed to make the grade at the top level in the last 10 years would suggest that this season is something of a fluke

He didn't fail to make the grade at the top level. No-one gave him the chance until Nigel Pearson and Leicester City took a punt. I suspect that if someone had picked him up when he was 21, he would now have been an England regular for some years. Although the fact that he has come up the hard way makes him very grateful for what he has got now - which is a nice contrast to some of the big-time Charlies in the game.

You could have said the same about Kevin Phillips.
skp was 24 when he joined us after 3 years at Watford. Never played lower than the Championship apart from his years at Baldock

He didn't fail to make the grade at the top level. No-one gave him the chance until Nigel Pearson and Leicester City took a punt.

Which means he wasnt good enough.....even the good players the the top clubs reject or miss out on end up somewhere else a level or two down.

I'm happy for people to bookmark this Thread and bring it up at the end of next season when he has scored 25 goals again

Last edited:
You could have said the same about Kevin Phillips.
Oooh, heaven forbid anyone would suggest that SKP languishing at Baldock Town meant he was crap. I do seem to remember the pundits of the day thought that though, and probably a few know all's in the pub did too.
I can't believe the snobbery of some on here.

Get the feeling some on here rate everyone as shit unless they wear red and white.
Nar, they're shit too.

Dress it up as much as you like but he had a good season. If he was our player you would be wanking yourself into oblivion.
Define a good season for a striker. Surely the job of a striker is to score goals. 1 in 7 is hardly prolific and as I say, was less than Wickham and more than Fletcher.

Not sure how one would wank theirself into oblivion but I'm sure you do, so go ahead

Andy Carroll isn't a one season wonder, Harry Kane isn't a one season wonder, Andy Johnson isn't a one season wonder, Michu did it in two leagues so isn't a one season wonder, apart from that like aye canny.
Andy Carroll was a half season wonder. Harry Kane has yet to convince after last season, but agree he is looking like he may make it at PL level. Michu did it once in the PL then disappeared, ergo, one season wonder. Andy Johnson? 21 goals in 37 PL games in 2004-5. 30 goals in his next 150 appearances

Last edited:
Define a good season for a striker. Surely the job of a striker is to score goals. 1 in 7 is hardly prolific and as I say, was less than Wickham and more than Fletcher.

Not sure how one would wank theirself into oblivion but I'm sure you do, so go ahead

Andy Carroll was a half season wonder. Harry Kane has yet to convince after last season, but agree he is looking like he may make it at PL level. Michu did it once in the PL then disappeared, ergo, one season wonder. Andy Johnson? 21 goals in 37 PL games in 2004-5. 30 goals in his next 150 appearances

Harry Kane has 5 in 11 and is scoring for England regularly this season. Michu scored 15 goals in La Liga the year before but if you're only counting PL fair enough, doesn't make much sense to me like. Andy Johnson in his first two Premier League seasons scored a combined 32. Carroll's record considering his injuries really isn't bad either, his game is about more than goals. I'd absolutely love a non crocked Andy Carroll up here.

Well the fact he's cost them fuck all and worked his way up the leagues has to be admired. Leicester had just came up and were one of the favourites to go down so don't think he's going to be prolific. I can see I'm pissing against the wind with you as you would rather look at someones past and future rather then their present.

Sad thing is your probably an adult who just refuses to give credit were credit is due simply because the lads having a cracking season for another team.

Harry Kane has 5 in 11 and is scoring for England regularly this season. Michu scored 15 goals in La Liga the year before but if you're only counting PL fair enough, doesn't make much sense to me like. Andy Johnson in his first two Premier League seasons scored a combined 32. Carroll's record considering his injuries really isn't bad either, his game is about more than goals. I'd absolutely love a non crocked Andy Carroll up here.
Save your breath mate. It all boils down to the fact he isn't our player.

Well the fact he's cost them fuck all and worked his way up the leagues has to be admired. Leicester had just came up and were one of the favourites to go down so don't think he's going to be prolific. I can see I'm pissing against the wind with you as you would rather look at someones past and future rather then their present.

Sad thing is your probably an adult who just refuses to give credit were credit is due simply because the lads having a cracking season for another team.

He has done well in his 11 games this season. My point is that he is a decent player who is on a hot streak and I am 100% confident that next season (or even the second half of this season) will see him return to his usual 1 in 6 or 7 ratio. The lad has done well, but I don't see him as a top striker. Feel free to remind me of this in a year when he's scoring for fun again

Dry your eyes mate

Indeed he is, but the fact that he failed to make the grade at the top level in the last 10 years would suggest that this season is something of a fluke
In this instance fluke is a poor choice of words.
It is possible to fluke a goal or two but i don't judge a professional sportsman on those terms.
Firstly, is he fit enough to last 90 minutes? Then, is he fit enough to last 90 minutes at maximum effort?
Is he aggressive and mentally strong enough?
Is he tactically aware enough?
Is he skillful enough?
Is his body durable enough?

If you can answer "yes" at this level to all those above and a couple more then it's no fluke.

Just to add some stats to the equation
20 goals in 63 Championship Appearances
16 goals in 45 Premier League Appearances (11 in 11 this season)

The lad is on a hot streak and fair play to him, but anyone calling him anything else than a 1-season wonder is getting ahead of themselves a tad. What are we judging him on? Goals? I hear that he was "outstanding last season" for Leicester, but only scored 5 in 34. he is in a purple patch right now and does appear to be very hard working so credit where credit is due. Personally, I need some convincing that he is a "top" player based on his scoring record of 36 goals in 108 appearances in league football. I'd give it another year to 18 months before making a judgement, ther have been plenty of players who have appeared brilliant in their first season or two in the PL and then faded (SKP never scored more than 12 a season in the PL after his initial 2 years in the big league). Some fade back to average levels (c10 goals a season) some go even further and drop down the leagues like a stone (Michael Ricketts).

no-one knows what will happen to Vardy, I would suggest that it is far too soon to make a judgement. Time is not on his side at the age of 28 of course......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back